Gondorian Infantry Sword

So what are the chances that UC makes the Gondorian Infantry sword? I know it's not a character's sword, and I hope that we see Faramir's sword made, but It is such a simple sword that I would think UC would be able to make it fairly affordable, there are not fullers or even a leather wrap on the hilt. We have the High Elven infantry sword so it's not a stretch.
tumblr_nha96kU6ca1rrjmgoo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nha96kU6ca1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gondorian Infantry Sword

The neat thing about these kinds of swords is that UC sort of had them in consideration a long time ago. The first blade in the unofficial "Average Joes of Middle-earth" line was the Uruk-hai blade (I hate calling it 'scimitar'... it's not). I think the next one they were thinking about was the rusted and pitted Rohirrim blade that Aragorn gives to Eothain. I wasn't a fan of that one, but sadly any further plans for "Average Joes" never came to fruition, except for the Elven Warrior Sword, and later the Mirkwood sword. Obviously the hero blades will always take centre stage, but a few generic ones thrown in for variety are always a nice option.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 am The neat thing about these kinds of swords is that UC sort of had them in consideration a long time ago.
That's news to me.
Valkrist wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 am The first blade in the unofficial "Average Joes of Middle-earth" line was the Uruk-hai blade (I hate calling it 'scimitar'... it's not).
As I recall, 'scimitar' is what New Line or Weta named that one in the prop photo reference we were given. The main reason we made that one is New Line pushed us to add it to the line. I remember getting questioned why our proposed product lineup for each film did not include Orc weapons. They seemed to think Uruk and Orc replicas were going to be really popular!
KRDS

Kit, I mention it seemed like UC was considering them because back around 2004, the year you and I joined this forum and it was owned by Swordsman of Blades by Brown, UC was putting out a steady stream of images of props and stills from the movies, as if testing the waters for what fans would like to see. Kind of like a precursor to the FB polls of today. Someone else from UC used to post here back then (I forget his name - I think Gil Hibben used to post as well). The photos included some shields and helms, along with spears, orc blades, and many other things that UC never really pursued.
This Space for Rent

No idea who that would have been, but I ran the LOTR program from 2000-2006 and none of the items above were ever considered. We had releases scheduled through 2006, almost all of which have been released since the new owners took over. There were so many primary and secondary props to replicate that we had not even thought about tertiary stuff like that.

I know a few of UC's salesmen dug through our product development files looking for things to leak to their accounts. That crap happened all the time, but those swords were never developed to leak. UC's marketing director and some of the sales team used to compile things the dealers and fans were requesting, so maybe it was one of those people. There were also a few dealers who would leak things they wanted us to make as if it were official. There was even someone who posted on one of the forums using my name for a while, but I think that was before 2004.
KRDS

Wow, I had no idea someone had impersonated you at one point. That had to be equal parts irritating and stressful.

Yes, of course you are right on all this and it's hard for us as fans sometimes to understand what's being put forth as 'official', and what's not. You're right on the nose with the dealers comment: Swordsman himself would post photos and ask, "Would you guys like to see UC make this?" You can imagine what the usual response was. I don't actually recall seeing Gamling's sword from those days, to be clear, but I do recall the Gondor blade, and Eothain's blade in particular is etched in my mind because I saw it posted so many times. I fully believe you when you say these things were never in consideration or development, but some posts made it seem like they possibly were.

There was someone else from UC here at the time though, that much I would stake my life on, but since we did a purge of inactive accounts and old threads, I doubt I could find him. That poster was around up until about the time we tried to make a deal with UC to be their official forum, which unfortunately did not happen.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:23 am Wow, I had no idea someone had impersonated you at one point. That had to be equal parts irritating and stressful.
Nothing too bad. That person said he never claimed to be me, just a fan, but the posts did not read like that. Someone did the same thing on one of the sword forums back then too, and he did claim to be me. That was annoying.
Valkrist wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:23 am There was someone else from UC here at the time though, that much I would stake my life on, but since we did a purge of inactive accounts and old threads, I doubt I could find him. That poster was around up until about the time we tried to make a deal with UC to be their official forum, which unfortunately did not happen.
From the old UC? My wife, who used to work in UC's graphics department, said she thinks she knows who that could have been, but he had nothing to do with product development. I know a few of my draftsman used to post on a few forums, but I don't recall them leaking or making up anything. They would just correct mis information every now and then.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:56 am They would just correct mis information every now and then.
lol... much like we force you to do all the time? :laugh:

Yes, it was the old UC. I wasn't even a moderator at the time, much less an owner and admin here, so I don't know what exactly went on behind the scenes. I think Justin had taken over from Swordsman around here by then and there was discussion with someone at the old UC to have us become their official online presence, but it ended up never happening because UC declined. It's possible that got made out to be more than it really was, but as I said, we only have one side of the story there.
This Space for Rent

Yeah, I have a vague memory of someone talking to our sales department about being an official site, or a sponsorship. I think I found out about all that after the fact. Not sure why they did not go for it, but I do remember someone, probably UC's VP at the time, thinking UC could just make and host their own site. I recall asking if they were going to hire someone to maintain it, promote it, and moderate it, and getting a blank stare. I think they thought you just set it up and let it go.
KRDS

Pity.

I've always wondered at what might have been. We even went so far as changing our domain and website names to UCF, which originally stood for 'United Cutlery Forums.' When things went nowhere, we had to get creative.

In hindsight, I'm sure BudK would have ended that relationship very quickly once they took over, so I guess it was never meant to be.
This Space for Rent

I doubt it. It's not one I have seen many people asking for, and there are still several secondary character swords that have not been made yet, like Faramir's sword, Haldir's sword, Denethor's sword, the other three Hobbit swords, et cetera.

I remember throwing that idea out there at the old UC too, and no one on my team wanted to do it. I think the design was just not that appealing.
KRDS

Idril wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm Denethor’s sword please...... it is a standout amongst the ME swords on the weapon wall at Weta workshop. I would so love to have a representation of it.
THIS. I heartily second every word. A Denethor sword would be excellent.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I would prefer Haldir first, Faramir second, and Denethor third. It's a nifty-looking blade, but attached to a non-combatant character that never even draws it the entire movie trilogy. I know not all feel that way, but I like the history and specific moments behind as many of the weapons that I have on display as possible. There's really not much I could say about Denethor's (even bookwise) other than "Yeah, he was a total dick, and apparently carried a sword as well...?"
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”