Customizing UC Orcrist

Heyo everyone!
new to the forum here and glad to be here. I'm planning to customize my orcrist to be a little more screen accurate, complete with a repainted grip and pitting/ corrosion effects. I've caught up with Kit Raes upgrade over on the KDRS thread and i want to replicate a finish as awesome as that. Does anyone here have any experience with polishing blades and what paints to use? I want to use a paint that'll be strong enough to withstand basic handling.

Heres some photos of a repaint i did many many years ago as an attempt to replicate the hero prop, although it was done with cheap student acrylics so it wiped off with damp cloth.

Any help would be awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Customizing UC Orcrist

JJ, your work, per usual, is excellent.
Alas, you are attempting make the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear.
Nothing can save that abominable "sword", that should never have been permitted to see the light of day.
...(imho)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

@Deimos its an alright replica. I like the look of it. Honestly while setting the first one I had up for a youtube video it slid down a rock and got scratched lol. Hence I have 2 now.
So instead of ditching it I decided to use it as a practice prop for modifying.
I did get a laugh when asked, "how'd you get the notches in the guard?" And I honestly replied, 'I used a throwing axe and gave it some love taps." I half expected the zinc alloy to snap but it held up. So now when I get bored I just continue to tweak it here or there. The wash and battle damage was yesterday's "let's see how bad I can f*ck this up," project lol.

There's not much to tell. A Mr. Clean magic eraser to remove the factory paint (dark areas on tooth.)
Burnt Umber acrylic paint watered down to a wash to recolor the tooth as needed. Wipe and blotch here or there.
The pommel and guard I lightly hit with a throwing axe to notch them up (at your own risk.)
Something pointy and a hammer to make the pitting marks.
Then black acrylic watered down to a wash coated on everything and botched off with a paper towel.
I'm not done with it, thats just where I've stopped.

JJByers wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:29 am There's not much to tell. A Mr. Clean magic eraser to remove the factory paint (dark areas on tooth.)
Burnt Umber acrylic paint watered down to a wash to recolor the tooth as needed. Wipe and blotch here or there.
The pommel and guard I lightly hit with a throwing axe to notch them up (at your own risk.)
Something pointy and a hammer to make the pitting marks.
Then black acrylic watered down to a wash coated on everything and botched off with a paper towel.
I'm not done with it, thats just where I've stopped.

Thanks man, in the meantime I've seen your more detailed explanation on Fou
:thumbs_up

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”