Re: What would you use then ?...

The only problem with Sword Canes... at least in Canada, is that they are considered a concealed weapon, therefor illegal. I would definately use a sword for defense, but as I think I mentioned early on this thread, it is your right to defend yourself with the same amount of force being applied on you. This is actually the law in Florida now too. If someone comes into your house with a baseball bat, you are allowed to use something of equal force back, but you cannot use anything higher... such as a gun.

But I won't go any further then that... it might get touchy.
Valar morghulis

Its to prevent the family or the intruder, if indeed her survives from sueing you. If that person attacks you with a bat and you shoot and kill him, the family will no doubt try and sue you... not always... but its happened so frequently. If you hit him with a bat, then by law, its allowed.
Valar morghulis

its like if someone comes in our backyard (robber/murderer/regular person) and falls in our swimming pool and drowns, we are at fault, even though people shouldnt have come in the back yard, which normally has a locked gate and a privacy fence (thanks hurricane Rita, half of the fence is gone temporarily)
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

To me, the fact that an intruder/intruder's family can sue you if you use greater force than he, is absolutely ridiculous. Like Anarion said, it's not a game. If someone is entering your house uninvited, then you shouldn't have a little warning at the back of your head saying "Don't kill him, or his family will sue me". That is just absurd. If someone's stupid enough to break into your house, you should be allowed to kill them, even if they are unarmed. They are the ones breaking the law, and you're the one protecting yourself and your family. I think this should be a case of shoot first, ask questions later. Robbery is too dangerous a thing to find out what kind of weapon the intruder has before you use one yourself. By the time you've found out he only has a bat, you've just had you head caved in, whereas you could've prevented that probably fatal incident with a well placed round from a .45, or your weapon/firearm of preference.
Someone needs to re-write the law in Canada and Florida.

I also agree that something like a 12 gauge shotgun in the best home defense weapon. If the intruder is what, like between 5 and 10 ft away when you fire that beast, it's gonna rip him in two. Perfect. There's no chance for him to fire off a round or two if he's packing as well. The only potential problem with such as weapon is, you've got to make sure everyone who should be in the house (ie, your family) is behind you when you shoot, otherwise they could end up with a load of shot ballbearings in them too :goofy_pur We all know how, err, un-solid the walls are in this country, and since the shot will cover such as large area, it's best to know where everyone you love is, before you shoot.

Oh, and Walther PPK's suck. I've fired one, and it's no surprise Bond didn't have one in the last film (I'm pretty sure he didn't anyway...)They're so weak. Concealment may be a good thing, but damn, if someone's coming at with enough adrenaline pumping, you could empty the clip on them, and yep, they'd still be coming. Sure, all those tiny holes would result in enough blood loss to kill them pretty quickly, but not before they f****d you up too :boxing:
Last edited by The Flame of the West on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

here in my country there is rules and rules about weapeons of eny ceind.
I have to get a weapon license from the police, just to collect lotr items, otherwise it will be illegal for me to have these items.
I live in an apartment and the hallway is small and long, if someone uninwondet person whit bad issues, wants to intrude i think i will use my gimli walking axe, it´s a strong heavy and long weapon and fits me very well. The edge of the axe can be used as a spear and this is the way i would strike, i think it will reatch 1½-2 meter, hidden the enemy he will go down in 2 sec.ore les.
but if i had a sper i whot whit no doubt use this instead.(aeiglos).
Last edited by Thorin on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

my sharpened Atlantean Sword (from Albion Armorers) is always ready in case of emergency.
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

Anarion wrote:Oh boy dont make me jealous...

(in fact, not sure to use it, even if it's battle ready, I would be too afraid to damage it. But anyway, I would always have a knife, dagger or sword not so far from my hand at home :p )
UC Sting ; UC Sting Scabbard ; UC Glamdring ; UC Narsil ; UC Shards of Narsil (2735/5000) ; UC MC Sting (323/3000) ; UC MC Glamdring (105/1000) ; UC Anduril UE + scabbard ; UC Herugrim ; UC Uruk-Hai Scimitar ; Kropserkel Gondorian Vambraces ; IndyProps Redbook of Westmarch ; IndyProps Thror's Map ; NC Crown of Elessar ; NC Evenstar ; NC Phial of Galadriel ; MR The One Ring of Sauron 1887/2500 ; Danbury Minas Tirith & Barad Dur ; Knife of Sharkû the warg rider; The Sauron sized One Ring ; Albion Armorers Conan's Atlantean Sword (61/1000)
my props collection : http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php ... e=oldtobby

Anarion wrote:Well I'd rather be sued than dead....

and along those lines, if you beat the guy with a bat he could sue you still. Those laws make no sense. :rolleyes:
No no... the law prevents anyone from sueing you if you use an equal force to defend yourself. They CAN NOT do so... no matter how much money or whatever the case be. But you guys are seeing this one sided. You can still protect yourself any way you wish... if you feel threatened inside your home... yeah.. I'd do anything to protect myself too. However, this law is simply a safeguard for those who defend themselves with the safe force. So if you break their leg, they can't sue.

But take it as you must... thats all im saying on this subject.

I have two walking sticks, my practice katana, and a knife for defense. I do have a whip..but thats no good inside. I sincerely hope nobody ever runs into this situation at all.
Valar morghulis

Return to “Personal Protection”