Re: New Sword of the Ancients

:crazy: I just ordered my Kit Rae Exotath. According to Kit's website, they should be shipping the first week of March (next week). However, my supplier reports he e xp ects them to arrive Feb. 29th (tomorrow). I am so stoked!

Limited 1500 first production run, serial numbered, and including an autographed art print. See:

http://www.unitedcutlery.com/product...e/kr0030a.html

This is the first new UC post-bankruptcy Kit Rae sword, and the first new design addition to the Swords of the Ancients collection in over two years. :thumbs_up
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the Swords of the Ancients Collection but Exotath is alright in my book. I don't think I'd buy it but I do like the over all shape and look. The cross-guard, handle, and pommel have a nice design although I do agree with Ted to an extent that certain parts appear to be bit off of other designs. I'm not really crazy about the black wrap on the blade either... why is it there and what purpose does it serve? Seems like in a hypothetical sword fight it would be chopped at, unraveled, and mangled. Yet again, practicality doesn't ever seem to be the basis of inspiration for Kit's swords... which is cool if thats your thing, its just not mine. On my list of favorites I'd have to put Exotath right after Mithrodin, which is the only Sword of the Ancients I plan to buy. I'm not downing any of you who love this sword as I'm sure many of you do... just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the mix.
Last edited by Balrog Obliterator on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The name Exotath means Oracle of Steel. The background mythology is not completely fnished yet, but here is an excerpt about the sword, runes on the blade, and name.

"The most skilled weapon smith in Ammoria was the elf Firaneth, and he forged two identical swords for the Dark One, each with a blade considered by Firaneth to be the finest ever crafted in his lifetime. Those blades were of deeply fullered dark elven iron with leather wrapped blade-grips, each edged to cut plate steel armor. The hilts were made with hook taloned iron side guards, decorated with an e xp ertly wrought iron skull of the Yievelloch, a beast of the underground seas. The grips were hand-and-a-half, leather skinned, and ended in long, weighted pommels. The swords were lightweight and could be wielded with ease. When these were presented to the Dark One he was very pleased and he contemplated many long days as to the power he would affect upon these weapons until he at last chose one that would suit his needs well.

For fourteen days the Dark One labored with his most powerful sorcerers over the steel of these elven blades, enchanting each with the power to open a passage a few moments forward in time so as to see how events unfold. With this he would make decisions that would best favor his battle plans, for he would be able to see his enemies’ strategies in advance, and by the sword’s edge he would also have the power to change them. In hand-to-hand combat an opponent would be at extreme disadvantage to the one who could see his every move beforehand. To give these nechantments the Dark One had to bequeath the Exotath a part of his own essence, a part that he could not recover. The sacrifice would allow him to control his own destiny, but the Dark One did not realize how much power he had truly given these swords. When the enchantments were complete he named them the Exotath in the ancient language of the Anath, Thant. The word “exo” translated as oracle and “tath” as steel, thus the oracle of steel was born. In the runes of Thant he engraved these words: “By the Anath that which is to come is revealed to me. By Evruc, master of the Ancients, I am empowered”. The Dark One envisioned that a fierce soldier would wield the Exotath and lead his army…thus he called for his sorceress Methuscia to use her oracular sight to divine the one he must find for this task…"

Ted, the center of the guard is indeed inspired by Conan's father's sword. The two Conan swords from the first film, designed by the incredible Ron Cobb, were my primary inspiration to get into this kind of work so I thought I would finally put some type of homage into one of my designs. As far as Galmdring, I love that design but it did not inspire my pommel. The Exotath pommel design has been flaoting around on various unmade sword designs of mine since the mid 90's. I think I was was inspired by a similar pommel I saw on an antique German rapier.

Balrog, the leather wrapped section on the bade can be gripped, but it is there primarily because I thought it looked cool. The design always goes before the function in my fantasy blades.
KRDS

Hi. I just joined here so I thought I'd pitch in here on the Exotath. I've been into blades for most of my life. More the pratical side though for the most part.Tactical daggers and Tantos mostly till about six months ago. Where I live there isn't much in ways of Swords till about a year ago. I picked up a few cheap fantasy swords and than I came across some Kit Rae knockoffs. I liked the designs at first than found out what they were. Cheap copies. I finally found out online what they were. The Anathros, Cinthoric and the Elexorien. Since than I've replaced them with the real mc coys and even added the limited editions of the Acheros and Navaros daggers, The Gold edition of Anathros, the special edition of Kilgorn, the Sword of Vaelen, the Shadow Slayer, Exotath of course, Lucindar, The Mithrodin, The black legion blade, Isis dagger and a few more are on order. A seller will be getting the Molotoch soon for me as well. All I can say is that I found a seeries of swords i really enjoy collecting and right now am trying to find as many pieces as I can get. i guess you can say i became a big Kit Rae fan.
i guess I said enough. Thanks and have a great day
Joe

The Exotath is one of the sweetest swords in the Swords of the Ancients line. It is pretty much the largest bladewise. I fell in love with the pictures of it and when I got my hands on the real deal, I was totally enamored with it. Of course I do that with all of the Kit Rae swords I have, because each and every one is a work of art. Although I have recently noticed that my Exotath is a first production run but I have no Autograph on anything. Wasn't a Certificate of authenticity or something supposed to come with it?
Last edited by ThrakenSal on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thraken-Sal

Let me know if you have any problem.

For those of you into mythology, I have the complete Exotath story up at kitrae.net.
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/OftheExotath.htm

My wife and web designer, Teresa, created a cool Flash "movie trailer" for the Exotath showcasing sword photos and related pieces of art here. There is no movie coming (maybe one day). This was just for fun.
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/media_download.html
KRDS

Return to “Kit Rae”