Re: Good place to get Hibben information

so i found my way to a hibben comunity,oh am i more than just confused now:confused2 .
after looking around for a few houres,i was thinking about making a complete list whit pictures and information,of all the gil hibben fantsy knife desing.
it will make it alot easyer to think of what to get next.

but i dont have the time to make a list like that right now,so if someone alredy made someting like that plees let my now. :)

thanks alot mistersat.
i have been lokking around your webside some amasing collection there.
i am a new hibben knife collection starter ,and just got my first knife whits is the dragon lord unlimited version, and im amased about this knife.i just need more of thise knifes,but i like to go for some of the limited version on my next purcase.

Michael,

I have a much more complete list of the Hibben knives we have done at UC, if you would like it. There are many more version of the fantasy and functional knives that were made over the years that are not on your list. I started a record many years ago because so many people kept asking UC's sales dept for one. I do the same thing with my own knife and sword line. I wish UC had kept exact dates and serial number runs on everything becuase many people have asked for them over the years!

Here is a quote from your site:
"Update 1/7/2005: United Cutlery has decided NOT to release a 2006 edition of the Hibben Fantasy Series. This is a United decision and is not the wishes of Gil Hibben. United has had the prototype for the 2006 knife for nearly a year and has simply decided not to put it into production. Those of us who are very disappointed in this decision should write to United Cutlery at www.unitedcutlery.com"

I'll correct some of that. The knife originally planned for 2006 is going to be made. It was never cancelled. Not sure where that rumpour came from. It was just bumped to '07 for the 50th anniversary. UC's official "marketing" of this is that the first series, series 1, was of 15 knives, from 1990-2005. The "new" series will start in 2007, the 50th anniversary of Gil Hibben as a custom knife maker. The Hibben's were not happy that the decsion was made to skip a year. Those plans were made late in the game by UC, for reasons I won't go into. Don't ask what the difference is from series 1 to series 2, because I don't even know that yet!

Also, you mention that UC has had a proto for a year. There has never been a proto of this knife. I went through a pile of Gil's custom knife photos and picked a few that were possible to do production versions. That is how the last three annuals have been done. Gil, myself, and a few others at UC picked the next knife early last year. It is based one of Gil's original custom knives, so one exists somehwere, but I have never handled it. The drafting drawings were created from a good profile photo Gil had shot. I have a good 3D computer model of it now. It should be a sweet knife.
KRDS

I'll e-mail the list to the contact adress on your site.

I don't undertsand the decision to skip a year completely myself, but I don't make all the decisions at UC. I am also a collector of the UC Hibben line. I have every knife we have done since '88. You don't have to tell me about giving customers what they want. My annual knives from UC have been delayed twice, which pretty much destroyed any collector momentum the series had.
KRDS

Thanks for stopping by Kit. Its always a pleasure when you drop in and give us a few little details. The delay of the 06 Hibben is quite weird, but hopefully it will turn out just fine.

by the way, thanks for sending me the SotA updated story, quite an interesting read. Would make for a good series of novels or even some movies :)
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I thought I had that list on my computer here at home, but it must be on my laptop at work so I'll get it tomorrow. Looks like I should post it here too, though I'll go ahead and say even though it is very throrough, it is not complete, and I don't have all the release dates. There are a few versions of gold editions that I did not record at the time. UC created exclusive "versions" of some of the annual knives with special finish or blade marking variations that were sold to specific catalog accounts as exclusives. I did not collect most of those versions. Maybe someone else who owns one can help fill in the holes.

And you are right, there are 16 annual "patterns", not 15. I count the Warbird as one, but some people count it as two. That other blade version was created to have a single edged knife that could be sold in Europe. We thought it would make a good set for the gold version to have both. We tended to stay away from double edged knives because it is illegal in some states and countries, which mean that a lot of the collectors could not get those editions. It used to drive me crazy because we were forced to do bowie after bowie.

It was stated, but I'll say it again. I am not here as an offical rep of UC. I am just hanging out like you guys. UC has no offical presence on any forum. As far as the copyrighted Hibben knives owned by UC used in copyrighted photos, I don't thinks UC minds. It all helps to promote the line with collectors, which is what we are all doing on this forum.

As far as the 50th anniversary design, all I can say is that it is more of a short sword. Not really wild like the Centurion, but still a fantasy knife.
KRDS

i thingk it will be a grat idea to upload the list you have made kit rae.
i think meny members here at uc forum who have some hibben knifes might be interestet and maby more who havent got eny yet might pay more attension to this amasing knifes.

well i must say i am very green(new collecter of hibben)and only got one so far but .meny is yet to come to my new collect interest.

i have been visiteng the dedicated forum,mistersat whits i thougt was a littel confusing to get around in,and sometime the posts direct to one of the moderaters side whits has a computer virus.made my thing that the security wasen so god.
altso there is not so many international collesters there.this does not suprise me as i said in another post,while getting my first hibben knife.
i do apriceiet the hard work you have done to making a list mistersat.

i am one of thougs who like to get some information before i buy and diside.

oh an by the way about the dubbel edge knifes ,in most european country it is legal to buy if you have a licens from the police.

i hope you all can understand what i am writting.(spelling ,gramma and so on).

Return to “Gil Hibben”