Hibben Annual Fantasy Line: Eclipse Bowie (2011)

GH5024G Gil Hibben 2011 Eclipse Bowie Limited Gold & Damascus Edition

This limited edition adult collectible offers a 11 3/8” hand-forged, Damascus steel blade with an astonishing 1,248 layers. The linen Micarta handle is accented with a polished stainless steel insert and the full-tang blade back is scalloped with intricate fileworked details between the Micarta handle scales. Each blade is serial-numbered for authenticity. The guard, pommel and fittings are cast of solid brass with a brilliant mirror polish. Includes hardwood display plaque with cloisonne medallion. This unique collectible should be passed down for many future generations to enjoy. Only 1,000 pieces will be made worldwide.

GH5023A Gil Hibben 2011 Eclipse Bowie Autographed Edition

Gil Hibben and United Cutlery teamed up to produce a series of annual knives designed by Gil in the early '90s. The annual series, better known as the "Fantasy Series" soon became a tradition that continues today. The 2011 Annual Series is the Gil Hibben Eclipse Bowies. The Autographed Bowie is limited to 3,000 pieces. This knife features a cast stainless steel pommel, guard and accents and a laminated hardwood handle. Offers an AUS-6 stainless steel drop point blade and includes a recycled leather sheath. 17 3/8" overall, 11 3/8" blade.

[info and photos: www.knifecenter.com]

Here it is -- 20th design in Gil Hibben's annual fantasy line, and for the first
time since 2005, it's not a(n ugly) sword. Not only that; it's not too deep in
the "fantasy" territory either.

I was crazy for these blades when I was still in high school, but it doesn't
mean I'm about to stop collecting them now, a decade after graduating. After
three very bad designs in the series, this one made me feel way more
optimistic about the overall look of the complete collection (plus I'm a sucker
for bowies).

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the display plaque for the Gold
Damascus edition -- it doesn't look like it's made for that knife at all! But then
again, I tend to display them (I mean... plan to display them) in
custom-made cabinets and/or deep frames, mostly ignoring UC-provided
stands and plaques (same goes for LotR collection).

These two are just getting included in my must-buy shopping list. Not too
close to the top, but still.

Re: Hibben Annual Fantasy Line: Eclipse Bowie (2011)

I've been collecting the Hibben series for a while now, so I am sure this one will be getting a spot somewhere, doesn't take up too much room. I never got around to getting the 2009 and 2010 Hibben blades. I wasn't too thrilled with those, although I would like to get them to get as complete of a collection as I can, but I liked my Hibben blades to be on those table top displays, not wall hanger swords.

Return to “Gil Hibben”