Aragorn Vambraces 50% Off Today!!!

Museum Replicas has Daily Deals on their website each day, usually items at half off. I was looking around and checked the deal of the day today, and it is the Aragorn Vambraces (LOTR inspired, but not officially licensed) at MORE than half off. Regularly $125/pair, today they are $49/pair. There are less than 10 left. These are damn nice pieces. :angry: Unfortunately, my budget is so tight this week I have to pass, but I thought some of my forum compadres might appreciate finding this deal. TODAY ONLY! Here's the link:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-84-fant ... races.aspx
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Re: Aragorn Vambraces 50% Off Today!!!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Are these like licensed? Does anyone have them and could you tell me iff they're worth the money? At that price I'm seriously considering it.[/quote]

Not Licensed according to Steel, but i think they are the same ones dpeg has (the ones I was going to hit him on the head for and then abscond with) ... I just ordered a set. Licensed or not, for $60 (50+10 shipping) I'm willing to take a chance.

Do it, Fin, do it!

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Sadly I decided against it. Money is just to dear right now, even for a deal like that. :(

Also, reading the reviews on the pauldrons, quite a few people complaining about how badly corroded and moldy these were because they had been improperly stored and were full of rust. Sad that MR would ship things in that condition. No wonder they are discounting them.

Fin, yes... anything that has iron in it as a component will rust very quickly, even with just e xp osure to air. Steel of course, will do this also because it is an alloy that contains mostly iron (unless it's stainless steel, in which case you shouldn't worry much.) A protective coating should definitely be applied to those fluted wings and to any and all rivets and buckles as well. Just be careful not to get it on the leather as it can easily stain.
This Space for Rent

If this was a sword, I'd say simply spray it carefully on the blade, then rub it in with a soft cloth. Because it is a much more complex and worked piece of fluted sheet metal, I would advise you to spray the oil on a cloth instead, preferrably chamois or something similar because it will not spread the oil all over the place and it has zero abrasive properties, and then rub it gently into the metal, avoiding the leather. Chamois is very absorbent because it is usually used for drying, so be liberal when spraying the oil.

Oh, nearly forgot to actually answer your question: depending on the humidity of where you will be displaying these, I'd say give them a light coat about once every 3-4 months. If you're storing them, then once or twice a year will be plenty.
This Space for Rent

Honestly, I'm not trying to proomote anything here. I hate to mention it after Vals info on the pauldrons, but today the pauldrons are the Deal of the Day. I just looked on the website to see if they changed the deal (sometimes they go a couple of days without changing it) and the pauldrons are marked down from $200.00 to $79.00. I guess it is a bit of a gamle, base on Vals information. If interested, you might call them and mention the concerns and see is they will guarantee the condition of them. I'm sure you can return them if they arrive in poor condition.

Just FYI.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Also, reading the reviews on the pauldrons, quite a few people complaining about how badly corroded and moldy these were because they had been improperly stored and were full of rust. Sad that MR would ship things in that condition. No wonder they are discounting them.[/quote]

Yes, I saw the customer comments about receiving moldy , rusty pauldrons. That was partly why I mentioned “taking a chance” buying them.
If my vambraces arrive in similar condition, then I take some pics and send them to MR and ask either for replacements (if there are any left) or a refund.

But I was thinking: We all agree that those weapons that Aragorn presented to the Hobbits at Amon Sul (Weathertop) were old, rusty things he found in a ditch (*nod to Valkrist*). Maybe Aragorn found these old rusty, pieces of armor in a ditch! (Maybe not the same ditch, but then, there are lots of ditches in Middle Earth where you can find things), and they are part of the.....the......the MC Ranger Series! So they are supposed to look that way!

(The non MC versions have intact leather and shiny metal but they are not as valuable to collectors)
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Aragon Embraces 50% Off Today!!!

[quote=""Steel Servant""]They are not licensed, and I don't know if anyone on the forum has them. Just passing the news along.[/quote]

i have them - you are correct. they are very beautiful and they were licensed when i got them. the ones that they are selling now are not licensed. basicly these are the ones that are left over so they stripped them of any branding and are selling them as in. hence the reason that the description makes no mention of LOTR directly.
http://www.pegasuswd.com/

When you say "stripped them of any branding" what does that mean for the item itself? Is it that the website description and any packaging no longer carries the Lord of the Rings name on it, or is there physically a difference between the licensed and unlicensed versions? I should think not as they were all manufactured at the same time, right?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]When you say "stripped them of any branding" what does that mean for the item itself? Is it that the website description and any packaging no longer carries the Lord of the Rings name on it, or is there physically a difference between the licensed and unlicensed versions? I should think not as they were all manufactured at the same time, right?[/quote]
Good questions Val. As usual your on track with issues some of us haven't thought of asking about. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]When you say "stripped them of any branding" what does that mean for the item itself? Is it that the website description and any packaging no longer carries the Lord of the Rings name on it, or is there physically a difference between the licensed and unlicensed versions? ...[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing....
Wait, I figured it out ....if they are really the same ones but with the packaging stripped they are official knock-offs.

If there is a physically a difference then they are UN-official knock-offs. Savvy? :D

Dpeg, you there?

Can you post a few pictures of your vambraces, especially where the licensing info is, and also a closeup or two of the metal "Wings" against the leather (showing wings against leather) . And are yours brown or black leather? Thanks

I believe that Museum Replicas did have LOTR licensing on some of their items at one time. Whether the license contract e xp ired or they did something that caused them to loose the license, I don't know. Probably the first. But, at one time they did have a LOTR section under the "Licensed Items" section. However, it is no longer there, and any of those remaining tems are not advertised with any LOTR relation. I have a feeling that thier licensing e xp ired, and with the waining interest in LOTR items, paired with the current econimoc conditions (which has had a negative effect on collectibles), they decided not to pursue renewing the license. Just a theory.

[quote=""Valkrist""]When you say "stripped them of any branding" what does that mean for the item itself? Is it that the website description and any packaging no longer carries the Lord of the Rings name on it, or is there physically a difference between the licensed and unlicensed versions? I should think not as they were all manufactured at the same time, right?[/quote]

by stripped of any branding i just mean that they have nothing to show that there were LOTR on them. i have them and when i got them they came with a tag that says LOTR. i saw them again later on another website and they were about 100 cheaper. i inquired as to whether they were licensed and they said no. see the pics i attached from my collection and you can see the yellow LOTR tag that is on it. if anyone has the rest of museum replicas Arragon's armor or know where i can get it i would love to get my hands on it. there is a leather overcoat and a cape that i am missing.....

note: sorry about the pic quality. i shot that in the storage unit i have for all of my items today. (remember that rusting issue) will post some better pictures under real light later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dpegasusm on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like it was just a tag and their ability to advertise on the website as Lord of the Rings items that has been removed. Otherwise I'm willing to be the product itself is 100% identical.

Pity about the rust and mold issue, otherwise I would consider getting the pauldrons. No one has complained of a similar issue with the vambraces, but I will wait until our members that just bought them post some thoughts and reviews here once their purchases arrive.
This Space for Rent

Dpeg, where did you get your Aragorn costuming stuff, aside from the armor? I've never been able to find things like that. And I must say, for whatever reason that you keep your stuff in storage, you ought to consider keeping things that need caring for (oiling, etc) in your home. I personally wouldn't want to spend the gas money to drive to the storage unit to see if my prop replicas had completely rusted through yet.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

All that looks like Museum Replicas stuff. They had everything back in the day... Aragorn's cape, his boots (I've got his boots!), belt, his leather duster he wore as Strider (saw that in person once...Really great craftsmanship), his cotehardie, shirt from Rivendell, coronation shirt.... And they had the full costumes not only for him, but for Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, and (I think) Boromir. It was really great.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]All that looks like Museum Replicas stuff. They had everything back in the day... Aragorn's cape, his boots (I've got his boots!), belt, his leather duster he wore as Strider (saw that in person once...Really great craftsmanship), his cotehardie, shirt from Rivendell, coronation shirt.... And they had the full costumes not only for him, but for Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, and (I think) Boromir. It was really great.[/quote]

Rats, double rats, and other unprintable words. :angry: Guess I arrived too late to the party to get some of that stuff. Boromir's costume would have been great to own too.

*Aside* Thanks for posting the pics dpeg. Vambraces look very cool indeed, even through the plastic. :) Hope mine (and Fin's) look as good, even w/o the LOTR tag.

Curses! Alas for me, I was too late! I wants it, I needs it! Give those to me! They could be mine, they should be mine! Curse you, and all the halflings!

*on topic*

I do hope mine look that nice. They're probably on my porch, but I'm on vacation until sunday. I guess my neighbors will just have to drool over the box until I arrive.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Jamanticus""]All that looks like Museum Replicas stuff. They had everything back in the day... Aragorn's cape, his boots (I've got his boots!), belt, his leather duster he wore as Strider (saw that in person once...Really great craftsmanship), his cotehardie, shirt from Rivendell, coronation shirt.... And they had the full costumes not only for him, but for Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, and (I think) Boromir. It was really great.[/quote]
So now I finally know why Sir Tristram's collection is so awesome!
Guy's & Gal's, that guy had every thing mentioned here and his costumes were displayed on mannequins! Unreal collection! Can you say, "EVERYTHING!"
My guess? $60,000 when he bought the stuff.
See the photo gallery and DROOL!
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I have the Aragorn's red shirt and cotehardie if anyone is interested in buying them...(it's the outfit he's wearing when Frodo wakes up after the eagles get him and they are all reunited again.) PM me if interested. Bought them for by husband. He's 5'9", 175 pounds and the size is a S/M. They were only tried on once (fit great!) and still have all the tags. Could use a good steam, though, they are pretty wrinkled!

yeah it is all museum replicas stuff. i collected gandalf's costume and most of arragorn's but i want to get the rest - they also had arwen's dresses and i would love to get my hands on those as well.

as to the storage unit it is a climate controlled facility where everything is stored indoors in minimal humidity. it has been rediculously humid here for the past few weeks and i had rust issues earlier this year so i decided to get a climate controlled unit for the collection.

Return to “Museum Replicas Ltd.”