Gladiator (2011)

Greetings all,

So while browsing Facebook while in Class *cough..i mean so i was told...

" For those of us who remember the year 2000, *the world did not end, but rather a new millennium was ushered in with the release of a movie of epic proportions: GLADIATOR. Staring Russell Crow, Joaquin Phoenix, and the late Richard Harris, Gladiator *****told the story of Roman general Maximus Decimus Meridius who was betrayed by the new Emperor, Commodus. His family murdered and he himself taken into slavery, Maximus begins life as a gladiator, hoping to one day take revenge on Commodus for the death of his family. I won’t spoil the ending, if you haven’t seen the movie, but if you haven’t, you should. This is one of the greatest movies about ancient Rome and, arguably, one of the greatest movies of all time. Gladiator is a timeless classic.
In honor of this grand adventure of love, intrigue, deception, violence and revenge, we at Museum Replicas are proud to present to you a sneak peak of our new Gladiator Collection. This exciting line will include: The Axe of Tigris, The Helmet and Sword of General Maximus, The Arena Sword of Maximus, The Savior Sword, The Armor of the Spaniard, and finally, the iconic Helmet of the Spaniard. Each piece is beautiful crafted by hand by the craftsmen at Windlass Steelcrafts and is an exact replica of actual movie props. Three of these pieces – The Arena Sword of Maximus, The Savior Sword, and the Armor of the Spaniard – have never before been produced!
All of us here are very excited about this collection and hope that each and every one of you enjoys it as much as we do. Be on the lookout for the presale of these pieces on our website: MuseumReplicas.com. In the meantime, enjoy the photos of some of these items, posted in the sneak peak album and be working on your “at-home-Coliseum,” because once these pieces arrive, you’ll shout the name “Gladiator!”"

MRL's facebook page this was on:
http://www.facebook.com/notes/museum-re ... 6925861106

I CAN'T WAIT !
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: Gladiator (2011)

[quote=""am.dk""]hey jash,a small,advise .sell out ,your old unwanted items .and stop buy crab swords ,because you are adictied to .sell out ,save up and go for ,the real isue.[/quote]
I thought of that am...but i just can't sell any of my weapons...no matter how crappy it is - because, they all have a story to tell, you know? LoL - what do u mean by the "real issue"?? I have antiques, i have customs, i have a lot of handmade swords...i'm currently on a waiting list for another custom...

I haven't been checking for a few weeks...but for those that haven't seen it..here's MRL's updated website on "Gladiator":
http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-32-gladiator.aspx
Who's getting what??? lol

I really want to get the Sword of Maximus, it's the only one I'm interested in...but to be honest, the pommel looks a bit "fake" if you know what I mean. I'm sure it would be better in-hand but that's an awful lot for that sword. I'll wait for a while for the price to go down.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Considering my old Factory X version cost almost 500 to import from Scotland years after being discontinued, I don't think it's a bad price. My concern is the typical fake bone handle. Why not just make it WOOD??? You can finish wood to look like bone, and it would be functional at the same time. If the grip on this is anything like the old version, I'd say stay away. :| If it's going to be just as imperfect, one version is enough IMO. I think the rest of the swords look really gaudy and fake, which is an interesting matter altogether as I don't think they come across this way on film. Same designs, proportions, etc, yet these look like toys!
-_-

Well - since Windlass did make these swords for Factory X back in the day... And i do admit Windlass has come a long ways in terms of quality improvement since then = one can hope that these run of swords will not be disappointing...especially if you purchase them at a reduced price form a secondary retailer.

The 2 i must have so far is the Maximus Sword & Spaniard Helm. For some reason, the Axe of Tigris has caught my eye. I would also like the other swords, but, i agree, at this time, they seem too "toy-ish"...

Sed, I agree with you 100% on the handle - why not make it wood, instead of a fake, cheesy bone substitute? For example, although not specifically meant to look like bone, Valiant did a great job white-washing their Roman Actium handle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, i'll let you know how sturdy / unstable the new handle is. Since, as some of you know, this is one sword i still regret not buying when they came out (i was a poor kid back then...lol) - so definitely a must buy for me!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I agree with the wood handle idea. Jash, what swords are in that last photo? I only recognize the first one on the left.[/quote]
Left to Right:
Windlass Spanish Falcata.
Marto "Alexander Ceremonial Sword" - makes a great display for $50...lol.
Valiant Armory Signature Actium Roman Gladius.
Hanwei Godfred Viking Sword.
They all come with scabbards as well:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[quote=""Jash""]Well, i'll let you know how sturdy / unstable the new handle is. Since, as some of you know, this is one sword i still regret not buying when they came out (i was a poor kid back then...lol) - so definitely a must buy for me![/quote]

Hell, I am right there with you. I bought the Robin Hood sword, even with its problems so I am definitely going for at least Max's Sword.

I've always loved that Hanwei Viking Sword!

Speaking of Gladiators, did anyone else hear that the actor who played Spartacus from the tv series passed away today? Might've been yesterday, actually. Poor guy was only 39, had cancer. :(

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I've always loved that Hanwei Viking Sword!

Speaking of Gladiators, did anyone else hear that the actor who played Spartacus from the tv series passed away today? Might've been yesterday, actually. Poor guy was only 39, had cancer. :( [/quote]

Death is always a tragedy, but at least I won't have to endure that TV show and everything that comes with it anymore...
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]Death is always a tragedy, but at least I won't have to endure that TV show and everything that comes with it anymore...[/quote]

Actually, I really enjoyed the show and was extremely saddened by Andy Whitfield's death.

But you may won't to do some research before spouting off your smart remarks and you would know that the production team at one time were waiting for Andy Whitfield to conclude his cancer treatment and filmed the 6 episode prequel Gods of the Arena, but while that was airing and while season 2 was in pre-production, his lymphoma came back and he gave the production team his best wishes and asked to be recast. They have since recast the role of Spartacus with Liam McIntyre taking the role and are in production for season 2. Season 2 now named Spartacus: Vengeance will air in January 2012.

Regardless, you wouldn't have to endure the show if you didn't turn the channel to Starz.

I've never seen the show. Sounds like it's on one of the movie channels, of which I have none. But, I was saddened to hear of his passing. 39 years old, and leaving behind a wife and two children. Makes you think about how truly fragile and finite life can be.

I'm going to pass on the swords. I got the sword of Maximus and the sword of Tigris on the original Windlass/FX run. The new ones look rather gaudy. Except for the Arena sword. That one looks interesting, and not too gaudy. If it's in the budget, I may take a shot. However, the wish list is growing much faster than the budget, and that sword is not among the top ones.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Actually, I really enjoyed the show and was extremely saddened by Andy Whitfield's death.

But you may won't to do some research before spouting off your smart remarks and you would know that the production team at one time were waiting for Andy Whitfield to conclude his cancer treatment and filmed the 6 episode prequel Gods of the Arena, but while that was airing and while season 2 was in pre-production, his lymphoma came back and he gave the production team his best wishes and asked to be recast. They have since recast the role of Spartacus with Liam McIntyre taking the role and are in production for season 2. Season 2 now named Spartacus: Vengeance will air in January 2012.

Regardless, you wouldn't have to endure the show if you didn't turn the channel to Starz.[/quote]

Well, how very wonderful for you that you enjoy the show. Really. I do however, still believe that I have the right to say that I, well, do not like the show. To me it is a horrible rip-off of an already horrible movie. That's my opinion. It is also totally off historically.

Oh, and did I ever say that I was not saddened by the death of this guy? Of course I was saddened by his death. I feel sad every time I hear about someone dying, as long as they're not Hitler or whatever.

Oh and why would I need to do any research before "spouting off my smart remarks"? (thanks for the compliment)

What you said following that had nothing to do whatsoever with my post, and I still think the show is horrible. Watching the first four episodes was enough.

Oh, and it isn't as simple as just not watching the show. There's a ton of silly teenagers going around talking about it all the time, and there's commercials on the TV. Besides, the show existing is bad enough for me. Just ask Sed about the new Conan movie. Simply knowing of its existence pains him.

Anyways, I'll continue voicing my utterly harmless opinions in a civil manner, if it's ok with you guys.
Last edited by Darlak on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Your entire comment was what I was talking about... you blatantly said you won't have to endure the show and anything else that comes with it anymore in regards to his death

If you would have known anything about it, you would have known they recast the part 6-7 months ago, therefore him dying had no bearing on the show ending whatsoever.

Right, my mistake. I sometimes struggle with reading stuff when I'm tired, it's nearly 3 am here. It's especially hard when there's spelling mistakes involved.

Anyways, I still think I should be allowed to have my opinions. Shame about the show not getting cancelled though...

I doubt I will get any of these swords any time soon. I still am far from complete on my LOTR collection and I wasn't planning on getting anything anytime soon, but I couldn't pass up the shield from Flame.

I remember wanting the sword and helm of Maximus back in the day when the were originally produced but I never got around to it.

Who knows, maybe one day... there are far too many swords that I want and far too few dollars to afford them all. Unless I cashed in my Euro Trip savings and spent them all on swords...

I usually don't buy armor, but I might need to pick up Max's helm at some point. It's just so... iconic. And I love this movie.

One question though. Why no sword of Tigris this time around? Also, I think Maximus' plain-hilted sword from the Carthage arena battle is one of the most attractive in the whole movie. The dimensions are just like his sword as general, but the natural wood is gorgeous on it.
-_-

[quote=""Sedhal""]Also, I think Maximus' plain-hilted sword from the Carthage arena battle is one of the most attractive in the whole movie. The dimensions are just like his sword as general, but the natural wood is gorgeous on it.[/quote]

I agree, Sed. That's why the Arena sword stands out to me. It's so much more simple that the other. Sure, more ornate and pretty than what we saw in the movie, but simple and natural goes so well in a roman Gladius style sword. That "Savior Sword" looks like something pimp aliens left behind after landing in thier pink Eldorado with leopard skin seats.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Actually, I heard that despite the cheesiness of the story, the actors did a great job presenting Spartacus. But on topic...

I was indeed e xp ecting to see more Tigris stuff this time around. Also, I was hoping they'd do the wooden Gladius of the slave-owner guy (can't remember his name) that owns the gladiator. It's very simple yet elegant, and wood probably fit my budget much better than a $300 Sword of Max! :D

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Also, I was hoping they'd do the wooden Gladius of the slave-owner guy (can't remember his name) that owns the gladiator. It's very simple yet elegant, and wood probably fit my budget much better than a $300 Sword of Max! :D [/quote]

It's not a licensed replica from Gladiator, but Museum Replicas does carry a wooden gladius sword kind of like what you are referring to:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-314-wooden-gladius.aspx

Not as pretty as the trophy in the movie, but a close second.

Yeah, I've seen that one and thought about it. Maybe someday when I get into historical swords more, but right now that $40 could buy me another SSW bust that I want, so I've got to keep my priorities where they are.

Remember, they did this with all the movies. Started out with 4-6 items and added a few in the coming months. It is possible, not for sure, that more items will come. Robin Hood was like that, only three or four swords and then they added the WHOLE line.

I am greatly disappointed by the amount that the "Roman General" Fancy swords cost. Considering that you can get a full medieval Robin Hood Sword or back in the day a KoH sword for $199-$225, I can't justify spending $325 on something with "faux" bone. Lame for sure.

Also, it has been a while, where is the Savior Sword from? Is that the final battle scene?

[quote=""Sedhal""]LOL! :laugh:
So... when can we e xp ect a review of any of these swords anyway? They're already available, and yet nobody seems to be discussing/reviewing them.[/quote]
Well - I see them on the website, but i'm not sure if they're produced yet...i have yet to see them on any of MRL's regular retailer sites... Either way, i won't be able to see any in person until the New Year... :thumbs_up

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am greatly disappointed by the amount that the "Roman General" Fancy swords cost. Considering that you can get a full medieval Robin Hood Sword or back in the day a KoH sword for $199-$225, I can't justify spending $325 on something with "faux" bone. Lame for sure.[/quote]
My dear Rev...please look around first before buying direct from MRL, unless it's on the "Deal of the Day" section. You can save yourself a LOT of money if you buy from a retailer of MRL (pm me if you need some suggestions). I'm guessing the General's sword will probably sell for around $200 to $250 including scabbard (don't quote me on that though lol)

Well - here's a comparison pic i have from the battle with Tigris.
You can see just how "un-toy-like" his sword looks...maybe a "distressed" finish is needed on the "Gladiator" lineup?
But what i do like is how MRL used the shield as the design for the Sword Plaque!

Don't worry Jash about my deal catching abilities, as stated in past threads: Strider Knife $50, Gondor Shield $90, Sword of Ibelin $150 and $160. My main point was how we all like the "cheapest" sword in the collection the most. It is amazing they even have the nerve to put the savior sword for that much.

Agreed on the distressing. You can clearly see from the picture, most obviously, that that eagle figure on the pommel needs some serious tarnishing to even get close.

Well...i was looking at the "Pre-Order" prices on Kult of Athena... They all seem quite reasonable actually. All 6 products less than $250. With 3 of them less than $200. So i'm sure you can find them even cheaper if you shop around... :)

Never tried their sharpening service. Honestly, i wasn't sure if they themselves sharpen (like Reliks), or they just order a sharpened version from MRL (hence the "up to a week extra shipping"...)?

BUT - i just noticed 4 of the 6 Windlass "Gladiator" offerings are now "in stock" at Kult!! Which means i can't wait to hear some reviews by your lovely folks. Since i won't be home until Christmas...there's no sense in me ordering any right now...lol

Time to breathe some life into an old subject. I'm wondering if anyone knows what manufacturer actually made these Gladiator weapons that Museum Replicas sold. I found a Sword of Maximus on eBay and it says it was made by Factory X. I'm fairly certain that it's one of these blades and not a knock off, correct? I wasn't sure if it was factory X or Windlass who made them, but I figured they'd be a lot more e xp ensive if it was Windlass.

Hi Fin - sorry i'm late, but hopefully this still helps...

The original "Gladiator" swords were made by Factory X...which were made by Windlass as Blade stated. But, if i remember correctly, Windlass later bought out Factory X and MRL...so, the newer ones made by MRL are also Windlass...lol.

My pleasure. Even the new ones will become difficult to get a hold of soon... By the looks of it - MRL has discontinued their "Gladiator" lineup...again lol. Unfortunately i only managed to pick up 1 (of the 7) pieces... it's like deja vu from the first release!

Return to “Museum Replicas Ltd.”