Re: The Hobbit by Noble Collection

I actually do know a little bit about that item specifically Val. It's just out of stock. I e-mailed them a month or so ago and they said they pulled it from the site until they have it in stock (May is the estimate). I imagine if the license e xp ired they wouldn't be able to restock them. Maybe they're waiting for the home video release for BOFA to put out anything big.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Not a company known for transparency or product announcements, but does anyone know what is up with Noble and their line of Hobbit collectibles? Has their license quietly e xp ired?

Aside from the Smaug 5-coin set, nothing new has been released for months. In fact, after a good spurt of AUJ stuff, their TDOS lineup was quite small, and the BOFA one, with the possible exception of the coins, has been non-existent. I noticed today that Galadriel's headdress has mysteriously vanished from their items page, confirming my fears that one by one, these replicas are going out of production without warning and will one day command absurd prices on ebay. That's too bad because that headdress was on my "to buy" list. :(

Guess I'd better think about getting the remaining things that I want some time soon, like Bilbo's pipe, Deathless, the coin set, and possibly Thranduil's last three rings.[/quote]

That is worrying. I wanted to buy both the Galadriel and Elrond crowns. Both crowns are still available on the Noble UK site though. I think I may have to make the rest of Thranduil's rings a priority.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Lindir""]That is worrying. I wanted to buy both the Galadriel and Elrond crowns. Both crowns are still available on the Noble UK site though. I think I may have to make the rest of Thranduil's rings a priority.[/quote]

Well, according to GW's post above, we don't have to worry... yet. I find it strange that they pulled the headdress altogether due to it being out of stock. In the past, whenever something is out of stock, the item remains on the list page, but it just has an out of stock warning when you click on it, and an approximate date when it will be back. This is either a new way of doing things, or something is up. Still, if they told GW it will be back, then we have to accept that.

One reason I have not gotten that headdress to date is that I was a little put off by one glaring inaccuracy from the movie prop: at the very front of the brow, the Noble replica joins to form a diamond shape, whereas in the movie version, the upper tips do not connect, leaving it open. This is especially glaring given the fact that the background photo for the Noble replica has a picture of Galadriel wearing the headdress, inadvertently emphasizing the difference between the two. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote:I'm seriously thinking about ordering Thranduil's rings. I'm a bit confused with the two similar rings - the Mirkwood and the Woodland. Does anyone know which ring of these two he is wearing on his index finger?
I wear the Mirkwood ring on my index finger on my right hand, and I'm pretty sure that's how he wears it in the movie. And obviously, the woodland ring is then worn on the ring finger :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Idril wrote:Well.....

They are all women who used to wear them. I'm guessing you guys haven't been wearing them enough. :lol:
I wear my Ring of Barahir everyday, it was my original wedding ring before we could afford "real" ones, but I still wear both. I get it cleaned by my jeweler about once or twice a year and it looks great.

As for my Evenstar, I do not wear it that often, but in two years with no cleaning, it hasn't tarnished yet.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Fingolfin wrote:If you keep it behind glass, will that keep it from tarnishing?
Get some silver cloth (its impregnated with a substance jewelers use to prevent tarnishing) and set the silver object near it or on it in your cabinet.
It won't totally prevent tarnishing but it does slow it down quite a bit.
When you finally do have to polish it you can use the silver cloth for that also.
(Do not wash the cloth as that will remove the anti-tarnish substance)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Fair enough and I figured as much. Still on the fence about it myself due to it being inaccurate.

After nearly two years since anything new, Noble has finally released something for the Hobbit line - a Smaug censer - though it is not something I am interested in. I had wondered if their license had expired; guess not.
This Space for Rent

I need to up my jewelry game. Actually, since I wear my Ring of Barahir everyday (it being my original wedding ring and all), the stone fell out and I need to get it replaced. I was thinking about having a jeweler recast it in palladium.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

RevAnakin wrote:I need to up my jewelry game. Actually, since I wear my Ring of Barahir everyday (it being my original wedding ring and all), the stone fell out and I need to get it replaced. I was thinking about having a jeweler recast it in palladium.
Pretty sure the jeweler will have to make a mold to recast it. That won't be cheap.
You could go with a Swarovski "emerald" for the stone. That should be less than $25, and better than what is currently mounted.
Don't forget the gold. if you want it to be really visible and not lost in the palladium, it should be 18 kt.
Palladium has come down and is *ahem* "less" expensive, but still not cheap.
OR...
You could contact Jens Hansen and get their version of made with palladium, 18kt Au, and a synthetic emeralds. (Natural flawless emeralds are prohibitively expensive. Any emeralds you see in affordable jewelry are either synthetic or heavily flawed real ones.)

Deimos wrote: Pretty sure the jeweler will have to make a mold to recast it. That won't be cheap.
You could go with a Swarovski "emerald" for the stone. That should be less than $25, and better than what is currently mounted.
Don't forget the gold. if you want it to be really visible and not lost in the palladium, it should be 18 kt.
Palladium has come down and is *ahem* "less" expensive, but still not cheap.
OR...
You could contact Jens Hansen and get their version of made with palladium, 18kt Au, and a synthetic emeralds. (Natural flawless emeralds are prohibitively expensive. Any emeralds you see in affordable jewelry are either synthetic or heavily flawed real ones.)
My plan was to use the jeweler who cast the engagement ring I designed for my wife. We were debating between platinum and palladium and there was no contest in the end, palladium is a better metal that just doesn't have the reputation of "finest metal" that platinum has held for so many decades.

While the Jens Hansen version is beautiful, I just like the look of the movie one better. I like how wide it is, but who knows, if my cast comes out to be $3k plus... I might do Jens.

I prefer synthetic stones as 1. they are so beautifully clear and 2. less worries about "blood diamonds" and such.

RevAnakin wrote:My plan was to use the jeweler who cast the engagement ring I designed for my wife. We were debating between platinum and palladium and there was no contest in the end, palladium is a better metal that just doesn't have the reputation of "finest metal" that platinum has held for so many decades. While the Jens Hansen version is beautiful, I just like the look of the movie one better. I like how wide it is, but who knows, if my cast comes out to be $3k plus... I might do Jens.I prefer synthetic stones as 1. they are so beautifully clear and 2. less worries about "blood diamonds" and such.
Why do you prefer palladium to platinum?
Had I been able to afford it (the price would have been about $2000 more) I would have had my JH ring made of platinum.
(It is palladium and 18kt gold)

So here is the pros list we came up with when we were deciding:

Platinum Pros-
1. Status
2. Softer metal that won't chip away over the years

Palladium Pros-
1. "Brighter" white that doesnt dull like platinum
2. Lighter in weight
3. Harder, but has much lower chip rate than other hard metals (should laster essentially as long as platinum)n mich more scratch resistant
4. Almost half the price (at the time)
5. Better investment, the value of palladium is seen to only go up.

My wife LOVEs her ring. She didn't want it to weight a ton and something resistant.

The only downside to palladium is that a lot of jewelrlers don't like working with it because it's hard to shape. But that doesn't matter to the consumer.

RevAnakin wrote:So here is the pros list we came up with when we were deciding:

Platinum Pros-
1. Status
2. Softer metal that won't chip away over the years

Palladium Pros-
1. "Brighter" white that doesnt dull like platinum
2. Lighter in weight
3. Harder, but has much lower chip rate than other hard metals (should laster essentially as long as platinum)n mich more scratch resistant
4. Almost half the price (at the time)
5. Better investment, the value of palladium is seen to only go up.

My wife LOVEs her ring. She didn't want it to weight a ton and something resistant.

The only downside to palladium is that a lot of jewelrlers don't like working with it because it's hard to shape. But that doesn't matter to the consumer.
Ah...thank you. I did read that palladium is the "up-and-coming" metal in jewelry making for many of the reasons you stated, but especially as an affordable alternative to platinum.
Palladium may not dull like platinum but, conversely, it doesn't polish as shiny as platinum.
I have a platinum ring and it always comes out slightly brighter than my Ring of Barahir.

Very interesting, my wife's ring has had a mirror polish since the beginning, then again that is a smooth surface, not ridgy

RevAnakin wrote:Very interesting, my wife's ring has had a mirror polish since the beginning, then again that is a smooth surface, not ridgy
That may be exactly the reason. My platinum ring is smooth; and, of course, my RofB is "ridgy" (ridge-y?) as you call it.

With all that said, I have nothing against platinum, it was just out of our price range when I designed her ring and now we won't ever go back :)

So a strange thing seems to have happened.

Out of all the items to go out of production from the batch of replicas Noble produced for the Hobbit movies, Bilbo's Deed of Contract has won the dubious distinction.

As irony would have it, I recently purchased the Indy version of the Contract from Strider's Heir, and it is comparable to the very expensive version from Weta. The workmanship of Indy's paper replicas is pretty amazing, as anyone here that owns samples of his work can attest to. At any rate, I decided that since I now had Indy's version, that perhaps I should sell my Noble placeholder Contract. When I went to check Noble's site a week ago to remind myself of the price, I found out that their Contract is no longer available for sale. What an odd coincidence. Not sure if I can find my old receipt, and I don't recall how much I paid for it, though it wasn't a high number, but now that it's suddenly an out-of-production item, I wonder if I should hang onto it? :laugh:
This Space for Rent

Noble hid a very beautiful blade underneath all the paint... I'm almost tempted to leave it as is. A friend recommended a dye or black magic to give the stainless steel a weathered look. Not sure what I'ma do just yet. Waiting for the hilt to cure for a couple days. More/larger picture over on The Crossroads at FlameofUdun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JJByers wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 pm Noble hid a very beautiful blade underneath all the paint... I'm almost tempted to leave it as is. A friend recommended a dye or black magic to give the stainless steel a weathered look. Not sure what I'ma do just yet. Waiting for the hilt to cure for a couple days. More/larger picture over on The Crossroads at FlameofUdun.
JJ...did you remove all the paint AND polish the blade? If so,
1) how did you remove the paint , and
2) how did you polish it? (i,e., method and type/brand of polish or polishing medium.)
'Cause that blade looks pretty reflective in your pics. :O

Valkrist wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am So a strange thing seems to have happened.

Out of all the items to go out of production from the batch of replicas Noble produced for the Hobbit movies, Bilbo's Deed of Contract has won the dubious distinction.

As irony would have it, I recently purchased the Indy version of the Contract from Strider's Heir, and it is comparable to the very expensive version from Weta. The workmanship of Indy's paper replicas is pretty amazing, as anyone here that owns samples of his work can attest to. At any rate, I decided that since I now had Indy's version, that perhaps I should sell my Noble placeholder Contract. When I went to check Noble's site a week ago to remind myself of the price, I found out that their Contract is no longer available for sale. What an odd coincidence. Not sure if I can find my old receipt, and I don't recall how much I paid for it, though it wasn't a high number, but now that it's suddenly an out-of-production item, I wonder if I should hang onto it? :laugh:
HAHA....do I get the "necro-posting" prize for resurrecting a nearly three year old thread? :D

So, Val, whatever happened with your NC Bilbo's Contract? In three years maybe the price has sky-rocketed?
I'll have to check ebay, etc.
Didi you ever discover the original NC price?

Deimos wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 am HAHA....do I get the "necro-posting" prize for resurrecting a nearly three year old thread? :D

So, Val, whatever happened with your NC Bilbo's Contract? In three years maybe the price has sky-rocketed?
I'll have to check ebay, etc.
Didi you ever discover the original NC price?
Well, I'll share the blame for that since you wouldn't even be re-reading this thread had I not moved yours and JJ's posts about Deathless here. :laugh:

No, I've completely forgotten about that and the Contract is still sitting there in the original bag it came in. I just did a quick search through eBay and found only the two Weta versions up for sale. I regularly scour Noble Collection items in search of the ever-elusive Denethor Ring, and I've not seen the Contract come up in a very, very long time. Can't imagine it's worth more than a few bucks than it's original price though. Maybe I need to wait another decade. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Thanks for the necro-reply :D.

Yeah, I did a search too. Zip. Nada...next I'll check Etsy.

Since I made my own book accurate "contract" I have no interest in either the Weta, Noble, or Indyprops versions.
I'll have to check, but I may have given my NC one away to a young woman who is a big Hobbit Movie fan (there's no accounting for taste :rolleye: ) and, as she is also in college, has little disposable income for collectibles.
If i still have it AND I can determine what it's worth I may hang onto it for that same upcoming decade (or two).

Jeff Bezos net worth $200+ billion
Mark Zuckerberg...... $113+ billion

Juneau, I can't even imagine such staggering amounts of money.
I have trouble wrapping my head around even $100 million (altho' I wouldn't mind wrapping my hand around it :D)

To be able to buy almost anything on earth, and not bat an eye... a Ferrari (chump change), a $50 million home, (maybe pull out the wallet for that one ) ....

It's (wait for it)..... INCONCEIVABLE!

Return to “Noble Collection”