Re: NC Staff of Gandalf the Grey

Yes, well my tongue in cheek humor isn't easy to spot when you can't see the big smile on my face while I write my posts lol.
I'm collecting for the sake of my love of Tolkien and the vision PJ gave us of his world. The UC line made it possible for us to have real tangible items, items that are worthy of display, and thereby create the necessity of an entire room to do just that.
The display room eats 30% of my space so I'm going the whole nine yards and doing the rest of my flat with a Middle Earth theme. I want to feel like a sword getting slipped into its scabbard when I slip into my apartment.
Investing is also a part of it. It was the thought of adding value to the collection that added to my desire to continue; the more pieces (stamps, coins, etc.) the more value; line of thought.
So as the collection grew, my curiosity got the better of me and I ended up in here with the rest of you shiny sharp loving people.
Seems to me my anniversary soon in this forum.
It's been a great pleasure and huge learning e xp erience about swords and Tolkien, thanks to ed, Val, and Olorin AKA Gandalf the Gray and now I'm back on topic, lol.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Thran, I never took you to be anything but a serious collector (I've seen what you do with some of your stuff,) so I knew your comment about collecting vs. investing was made in jest. :thumbs_up

Nevertheless, I felt it important to e xp ress my thoughts on what I feel is an important distinction between the two, at least in my mind. And thanks once again for the compliment, it is appreciated. :)
This Space for Rent

$1660 !!!....*gag* *gag* *retch* dear god in heaven, when I think of what $1660 in MY pocket could have bought besides a misshapen chunk of resin....*retch* *retch* .....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Hah, everybody has their tastes. Personally, I'd happily spend that much on a gandalf the gray staff, if only I ever had that much lol. Though there are other things to come before the staff if I ever get that much money. Witch king suit from kropserkel, fr example. I'f 7k just falls down on me one day, that is.
Last edited by Darlak on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

I can't say if a WK suit is worth 7K but it's worth quite a few 1000 if only because there is actually a lot of craftmanship involved in making it, making every part fit right and look right.

The staff? A scupley/apoxie model, make a mold, and pour in a cubic foot or so of resin. Oh, and put a hunk of lucite on the top.

And someone paind $1600 for that. The seller should have at least thrown in (but wait!) a set of Ginsu knives for that price. :P

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]I can't say if a WK suit is worth 7K but it's worth quite a few 1000 if only because there is actually a lot of craftmanship involved in making it, making every part fit right and look right.

The staff? A scupley/apoxie model, make a mold, and pour in a cubic foot or so of resin. Oh, and put a hunk of lucite on the top.

And someone paind $1600 for that. The seller should have at least thrown in (but wait!) a set of Ginsu knives for that price. :P [/quote]
And if you call now we'll even give you your brain back! :coolsmile
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]I found a tree branch in my backyard that looks kinda close. I'll sell it to you for $500. It's real wood, and if you close your eyes, you can totally see yourself as Gandalf! ;) [/quote]

Uhm...no. But thanks anyways, Val. I'm more a non-functional resin kinda' guy. :P
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Return to “Noble Collection”