NC Staff of Gandalf the Grey

Hello everyone!

Im new to this forum, but have read several posts and viewed it on many occasions. I see the "staff of gandalf the grey" on ebay. (There is actually 2 of them) Ive saved up some money and see that these are going up in price, and are very rare. Any opinions or comments to make concerning this?

Re: NC Staff of Gandalf the Grey

Well, I dont think so. I've been looking for a few months. Two differernt past sellers sold it for $1850 and $2000. And just think about it, its the ONLY Gandalf the Grey staff EVER produced. United Cutlery, Weta Workshop, etc. never made any of them. I also have seen it in person and find it to be quite impressive, and certainly something you could give a nod of approval to. :coolsmile

:laugh: And then some, maybe. Indeed. I guess it all depends what you're willing to spend $2k on but for a stick I'd personally never even consider it.
It seems like you're pretty sold on it yourself. I'm sensing some resistance toward the advice offered here and when that happens it's usually a good sign you're already leaning towards buying it rather than not. But even so, I still have to echo what others have said. That's a ridiculous price.

But then again I can easily say that because I have no interest in it. So in a way it feels rather hypocritical due to years of people telling me that they'd "never spend a thousand bucks on a gun or sword". Well, differences in interests obviously. Most of those people would certainly spend much more than that on CDs, guitars, amps, golf clubs, shoes, sunglasses, iPods, etc. etc. It all adds up. And when one person clearly has a more defined interest, it's easy to see how so much money can be invested into a single item. People with no interest will never understand. So... if that's what it costs, that's what it costs. Therefor, it's exactly the price it should be I guess. If you want it bad enough, you be the decision maker. :thumbs_up
-_-

It is interesting to see the rising trend of some of these products, especially Gandalf's staff. My advice, if you don't necessarily want to invest that much money in the staff, wait for the release of the Hobbit (pending lawsuits/disagreements/budgets etc). You can bet that come closer to the release date of the first instalment, we will start to see the reincarnation of the LoTR/Hobbit merchandise. Someone would be crazy not to release another staff.
Valar morghulis

[quote=""Curunir""]I'm surprised UC never released a version of Gandalf's 1st "grey" staff (the one Saruman took from him)[/quote]

Personally, I much prefer the second version with the crystal, rather than the one with the pipe.

To (sort of) answer your question, UC mentioned they didn't want to compete directly with any of Noble's LOTR replica products. Noble didn't have any problems doing this, but all of their LOTR swords came out slightly after the UC versions. I think this is why you are wondering why UC never made Gandalf's first staff, because the Noble version is the second staff, but I believe UC felt the two were too similar and didn't want to introduce a product that would see reduced sales due to Noble beating them to the market with their own.

This is precisely why UC cancelled their plans for King Elessar's Crown. They had a prototype ready to go and were working on display ideas for it when Noble beat them to the punch and released their own version first. After this happened, UC cancelled the project. This was officially discussed here by UC reps.

Buy the staff, LOTRfan!!!

NO WAIT!!! You better not.
NOO do not buy. :huh:
i belive this might bee some,stand on your road as a collecter.you need to be hard on yourself.
as valli said
UC mentioned they didn't want to compete directly with any of Noble's LOTR replica products. Noble didn't have any problems doing this, but all of their LOTR swords came out slightly after the UC versions. I think this is why you are wondering why UC never made Gandalf's first staff, because the Noble version is the second staff, but I believe UC felt the two were too similar and didn't want to introduce a product that would see reduced sales due to Noble beating them to the market with their own.
ofcause nobel,has no worrys about being ahead ,whit some itemes ,look at the price they are abel to make,10 times as mush $ as uc ,HAHA :D
for the same staff ,only whit some difrence in shape,and probebly the same quality.(resin).nobel staff = 2000 $ bucks vs. uc staff 180$ bucks. :crazy2:

unles you are a millionaer,ore do not have eny other interrest,in sword ore some likes.this staff may be the way for you to go fore.plees be carefull then ;)

[QUOTE][For that price, did you ever consider paying a skilled wood sculptor/carver to make one of these for you out of real wood? /QUOTE]

this seems like a great idea,alot of viking wood carpenters makes custum,handmade items ,im sure you can get a real hardwood handmade replica,for the same price.as 2000 bucks. :thumbs_up
i am seriouse on thise matter ,not fooling around. :)
give it a thought before you spent alot of money on somthing you is abel to get handmade(custum). :coolsmile

Thank you for the suggestions and comments. :)
I am the seller. My goal is not to advertise or rave about the staff. I have been collecting LOTR items for a few years now. I have never sold ANY of my collectibles. The staff is beautiful, it definitely isn't the best LOTR collectible in the world, but it is valuable.
I do have an attraction to samurai katanas. Don't ask me why I just like them! :P A REAL Japanese katana is tens of thousands of dollars. I cannot afford that, but for about $1,000 I saw a hand-forged katana. I did ALOT of research on it. There were mixed reviews on it, but I emailed a few companies and they insisted it was a great sword. Most of them told me they would refund my money if I wasn't happy with it.

I LOVE LOTR, I really would hate to part with the staff. Though, I heard about "The Hobbit" supposedly coming out soon. I wouldn't be surprised if UC released a gandalf staff. This could cause the NC one to decrease in value. But, the NC is an original so it may not go down in value.

I'm financially stable now, but not stable enough to go buy a $1,000 sword. Its been a while since I added anything to my never ending collection. Why not add a priceless thing to it?

I assume you could give your further opinions about the staff and advise me if you think I should attempt to sell it or just hold on to it. :| Thank you for all of your time and help. I pretended to be the "buyer" because I wanted to see what you would do if the offer was presented to you.

Thank you!

Here is the sword: :horseback

http://www.thaitsuki.com/ktn5.shtml

A clever but effective ploy. ;)

Thanks for your honesty. Personally, I would hang onto the staff. Even if it goes down in value with the possible release of a 'Hobbit' version, it is the nature of collectibles to eventually regain their value at some point.

Think of it this way: if you sell the staff now, and then regret it later, how likely are you to be able to buy another back, and do you think you can afford it then? Is it worth the chance? Will you fall victim to seller's regret? In the end, it boils down to what is most important to you, and that is either having the staff in your collection, or the instant gratification of some cash in your hand.

I've heard a few things about that brand of katana and (from what I hear) you could do much better for that price. You don't need to spend tens of thousands to get a decent japanese-style blade. Have you looked at Dynasty Forge (http://www.dynastyforge.com/), Kensei (http://www.sword-saint.com/index.php), or Paul Chen (available pretty much anywhere), by any chance?

Not that folded steel is always necessarily better than forged, but if you wanted the authentic and aesthetic value, you could get some Paul Chen models for well under $1k. And for some reason I've never liked those thaitsuki habaki. They look cheap to me. :| But to each his own and good luck on your decision. Even if you decide to still get it, it's important that you weigh all available options first.
-_-

Dynasty forge was another major consideration. I contacted the company and inquired on their swords. They told me about a few of there swords and gave me some pictures of new swords they will be shortly releasing. They are beautiful swords (sorry if the pics are too small) and are made out of tamahagane steel, which is pretty much close to the best steel you can have on a sword. They told me a ballpark price of $2,450. That is WAY too much money for me. I did however check more of there swords. They are very beautiful and I like their unique custom pieces. Thats a reason why I really liked the Thaitsuki sword, its very unique with the silver fittings in all. I would love to see it in person though, because pictures could be deceiving. Perhaps I will reconsider Dynasty Forge, they are impressive blades.
Or maybe I will keep the staff! :crazy: I went to UPS today to see what the shipping costs would be and I actually walked around in the public with it. :coolsmile The UPS guy put it against the wall while he calculated shipping costs. Just watching it stand there made me upset. I don't think it would like to go inside a box. :( Well I guess I will see. I did have someone interested in it. He claims to be a pretty serious collector.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for sharing the pics! I agree I'm a fiend for silver fittings too. It's the only thing that could ever make me buy a stainless steel Paul Chen Iaito. But the Tsuru carries some of my favorite fittings ever.

Kensei also offers a lot of unique blades with the silver habaki. Take a look:

http://www.sword-saint.com/pics/DFLY/dfk14.jpg

http://www.sword-saint.com/pics/LXQ22009/kiyo02.jpg

http://www.sword-saint.com/pics/LXQ22009/corm03.jpg

And I've actually been eying this one: http://www.sword-saint.com/pics/LXQ22009/tsume04.jpg due to the 24 inch nagasa and silver habaki. Minus the tsuba and saya finish, that's nearly exactly what I'm looking for to build a custom piece off of. I'm strongly considering getting that and then refinishing the saya + look for some more unique fittings. At 500 bucks It'd be worth it.

And there are a couple great reviews on Sword Forum about a few of the models too.

Anyway, go whichever way you want. But the first obstacle's first: To sell or not to sell the staff :thumbs_up (If you're hesitant in any way, DO NOT sell it)
-_-

Thank you for sharing the pics of those swords! I really do like the silver habaki. It honestly looks better than the thaitsuki. It seems more clean and simpler looking, yet has the unique silver characteristic. I really like the sword your considering. I find the kissaki (the sword tip) to be very neat and interesting. :)

Ive got to say when I saw the staff in the UPS store it created an eerie mood. This is perhaps my favorite and one of the first collectibles I have ever owned.

Why did I ever consider selling it then?

The answer is 2 things: The sword and the money. As being fellow respected collectors, I would assume the majority of you know the satisfaction of obtaining a brand new collectible. From using the remaining strength in your finger to click on the computer mouse to purchase your "dream" collectible, to opening the Jewel from its cardboard case and to proudly display it on your lonesome wall. To see the reaction on peoples faces, how impressed and amazed they are to be in the presence of a work of art. I do not bear a "valuable thing" in my collection. Several of my collectibles hold its value simply because of its name. (LOTR staff of gandalf the grey by the noble collection) I would like to eliminate that conflicting factor, and posses a "REAL" masterpiece. For a $1,000 you could get one hell of a masterpiece.

Then with collectors there is another thing: Wanting MORE, or something better. :D Yes we have all e xp erienced this unfortunate thing. I know for now since I cannot spend that much money freely without the aid of the money earned from the staff, I will not be eligible for a BETTER collectible anytime soon. Then we collectors eventually get over the item. Its great for the first few weeks/months, then it turns into any other old thing. But isn't that true for most things in life? Besides, its a katana how can I get over that! :crazy:

Someone is interested in the staff as I mentioned earlier. I will see what he says about it. I await his response, he wanted to know the shipping costs. (he lives across the pond) I thought I could get a really nice piece for about $1,000 and with the rest of the money, I will perhaps invest in a stock. I really cannot imagine the staff increasing a lot more in value. You could only go so far. How much more will people pay for a staff?? If I could get this much money for it now and get a stock in hope to increase my money AND get the "sword of my dreams" then why not?

Well thank you for all of your help guys! :thumbs_up Soon enough maybe ill drop another post stating my final decision.

You're preaching to the choir ;)

One final note: Sacrificing one possession to obtain one that otherwise would not be, is not a wise choice when one can simply save additional money and end up owning both. All that's lost is a little time. Not at the cost of something you already own: That much should make it just a wee more important than anything you will own, at this moment in time. I've gone through the exact same thing and at the end of the day I can always say "maybe I didn't get what I wanted this time, but I lost nothing". And I'm still trying to get that item... but I haven't given up. Because I haven't let it slip away, I've just yet to obtain it.
-_-

I want one so bad, but I like the one with the pipe a lot more that the one with the crystal but I still like both of them. But what got me thinking is why release glamdring when UC sells a lot more Glamdring's then Noble collection. Really if they want to get some sales then they need to bring gandalf's staff back into production. Does anyone know if it is made sturdy enough to be used with a costume?

Those are the first real pics I've seen of the Noble staff I think...I don't recall any being posted here over the years, anyway. To be honest, it doesn't look as bad as I imagined it would. At its original price, I don't think it would have been a bad buy. But for $1,000+? I would have a hard time doing that. You could get some of Kropserkel's Witch-King gauntlets for the same money, and I know which I would rather have :inlove:

How about paying $1250.00 for a UC HEWS, when their now as low as $159.00. That happened last year on ebay.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

What do you say to starting a rumor that UC will be producing a [officially licensed] Gandalf the Grey Staff that makes the NC one look like a "hunk of cheap resin", and that it will be selling for under $400.

Wonder what the GtG Staff bidders would do.... They can't e xp ect UC to either affirm or deny the rumor because UC never responds to emails. (I know THAT from e xp erience.)

.... Now wouldn't that be fun? :evil:

(And I do think my avatar is a much better looking demon than the smiley one....if I may humbly say so....)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Nah, let the bidders buy this staff for stupid amounts of cash. With The Hobbit coming out, and resurging interest in this line, I can see that staff being made again for sure, and it will be sweet when these people realize how much money they stupidly blew on something that will be produced again for much cheaper. If we warn them now, they will stop bidding and save their money. ;)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Nah, let the bidders buy this staff for stupid amounts of cash. With The Hobbit coming out, and resurging interest in this line, I can see that staff being made again for sure, and it will be sweet when these people realize how much money they stupidly blew on something that will be produced again for much cheaper. If we warn them now, they will stop bidding and save their money. ;) [/quote]
Yup! Can you imagine what some of us have and what it will be worth when the whole line gets back into action. Like, if you can't get this now, how much later? Put that thought into the context of people paying the amounts spoken of already, that amount being paid for what people can get for less; if I said that right, it boggles the mind.
Another way to say it is, "There's a sucker born every minute".
Lets see, if I found one person to pay these prices for every piece I have, I'd make five times what I paid for it.
Is it collecting, or investing?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Is it collecting, or investing?[/quote]

That truly depends on the person doing the buying. I prefer to collect, but I see nothing wrong with investing except when greedy speculators ruin the collector's market by artificially driving up demand for an item.

Take the example that N2 just gave us with his HEWS. I see nothing wrong with that as an isolated case, and a good opportunity to make some money back, especially if you know you can regain back that piece of your collection for a fraction of the cost.

However, there are some people that just snap up everything they see with no care for what it is or to collect it, but just so they can make a profit later when the item becomes scarce, and with enough people buying indiscriminately for that purpose, the item WILL become rare. That's damaging for the casual or serious collector, who now has to pay hundreds of dollars more for something that was unfairly inflated.

Greed can be a powerful motivator, but I don't consider those people collectors... just opportunists. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Well, collecting and investing is mostly done at the same time. Most licensed collector's items are investements, and will rise in price. Even stamps and coins, which are not licensed, will rise in price. My granddad sold his stamps collection about 3 years ago, he got just under 100k bucks for it.

So really, if you're a collector, you're most likely an investor too. However, if you're an investor, you're an investor.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Like I said, if you're just buying something to sell later for a profit, that's not collecting to me, just profiteering (or investing.) If you fall on hard times and have to unload your collections for $$$, that's one thing, but a true collector places a higher value on owning a given item than how much he can get on ebay for it.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Noble Collection”