Re: The Hobbit by Noble Collection

I'm not sure how new this is, but I've only just seen it today when I checked out Noble's website.

I'm really considering picking one of these up :thumbs_up

It looks as though he has two, a gold one which he wears during the White Council scenes at Rivendell in the first movie and this silver one which he'll probably wear during the battle of Dol Guldur in the second movie. At least I think that's when he'll wear it, as he's wearing armour in the photo with it on. Noble is currently only producing the silver version.

I'd love them to make Thranduil's crown, fingers crossed!
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Yep, I saw this a few days ago and am thinking of picking it up. I wish it came with the display pillow but it doesn't say.

Back in the LOTR days, they made the one that Elrond wears in those movies, as well as Galadriel's. I should have gotten them then because they are no longer available now.

I also like Thranduil's and Lindir's rings but I want to wait and see if they are actually worn in the movies or made up, like some of the jewellery they offer.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Thanks, EG, I should have remembered that photo. He's definitely wearing the snake ring, along with a few other interesting finger adornments. I think I will be getting that for sure then. Also looking forward to his sword and I hope Noble does his crown.[/quote]
I suppose it would be completely stupid for me NOT to own anything Thranduil. The sword would be my first pick.

My creativity took over on my bathroom when I thought of how to make it Middle Earthy. I asked myself, "What would an elven kings underground bath look like?
They won't be showing that in the film so I will soon as it's done in My Middle Earth thread.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Val, I didn't know that NC did the elven crowns from LotR. I've never heard of them or seen any pictures...which is very rare, because I spend too much time on the internet...anyone have any information on those?[/quote]

Yeah, they made them. It was definitely a missed opportunity for me. They were not even LE items like Aragorn's Crown, but for some reason they stopped producing them very early, while the Crown is still around. Besides Elrond's and Galadriel's, they also had Arwen's.

Other notable items that you won't find on the LOTR Noble catalog anymore, besides the weapons and staff are:

The LOTR back gammon set -

The brooch of Gandalf the White -

Bilbo's pipe -

Vilya, the ring of Elrond -

I have Vilya and the Brooch, but missed out on the other two items pictured.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yes, they are great-looking pieces.

It was quite a few years ago, but I think Vilya cost me $350.[/quote]

I was going crazy over Vilya a few months back. I really love the design of it, shame that noble isn't producing the replica anymore. Nenya was also another ring I was adamant on getting

I'd really like them to produce Thranduil's crown, but something tells me it will be incredibly e xp ensive. In fact I'd be surprised if it even gets made.

I generally prefer Elrond's new circlet/crown to his old one. I'd like to see noble produce Lindir's circlet as well. Well, I think this is Lindir. It certainly looks like him

I heard it's the same actor that was ignominiously named 'Figwit' in LOTR. If that's supposed to be a picture of him, he looks different.

You're "adamant" about getting Nenya? Nice pun there. ;)

Well, you can still get it even though it's now switched over to The Hobbit product line. You can also still buy Narya, just not Vilya. I wonder why they discontinued some products and not others, or if it was simply a case of "when this last remaining stock clears, we're not making anymore of those either."
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I heard it's the same actor that was ignominiously named 'Figwit' in LOTR. If that's supposed to be a picture of him, he looks different.

You're "adamant" about getting Nenya? Nice pun there. ;)

Well, you can still get it even though it's now switched over to The Hobbit product line. You can also still buy Narya, just not Vilya. I wonder why they discontinued some products and not others, or if it was simply a case of "when this last remaining stock clears, we're not making anymore of those either."[/quote]

Haha I'm glad someone got my little joke :P

Narya is also a ring I'd really like to own. I hope they keep producing them for a few more years, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I wanna know why the Hobbit rings are more e xp ensive. Aragorn's and Galadriel's rings are £87 on the UK noble website, but Lindir's and both of Elrond's rings are £150 each and these three rings are quite plain in comparison. I guess they are just trying to profit as much as they can from the popularity of the new trilogy. :|

and as for Lindir, the people... well, the fangirls... on Tumblr have identified Lindir as the elf in that photo. They could be wrong of course. I wonder if he is even named in the film.

Here's a photo of Lindir in the LOTR trilogy for comparison.

Just ordered a few more things from Noble:

Elrond's Headdress
Thranduil's Ring
Evenstar Pendant
Evenstar Display Stand

Ironically, this is the second time I am buying the Evenstar. I purchased it back in '05 and gifted it to my then-girlfriend. Now I'm married to someone else and I would like an Evenstar for myself. :P
This Space for Rent

Yes, it's the same actor. He's just not as young and fresh-faced as he was in the LOTR movies. On a similar topic, I think they used some pretty heavy digital younging on Ian Holm in his scenes in The Hobbit. I suspect that Ian looks quite a bit older now and they wanted to reset his appearance to that he had at the beginning of LOTR, but that digital younging is somewhat of an all-or-nothing proposition. Thus, we get a Bilbo in the prologue that has less facial lines than Bilbo of FOTR, and is a bit waxy looking too.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Had a scare yesterday when I found a letter from Noble's Customer Service saying that my order was on backorder because the Illuminating Staff of Gandalf would not be released until May 15th.

I was like.... HUH? I didn't order that staff!!! :huh:

Contacted them today immediately to clear it up. I do have six items on order with them, and two of them are on backorder, but they are Ganfalf's Pipe and Elrond's Headdress. Anyway, they said it was a mistake on their part and were aware there was no staff on my order. I'm not getting charged for one.

Phew! :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

I am dissapointed that the Elrond crown doesn't come with the pillow. I received a reply a few weeks back and forget to mention it here. Surely they could have thrown one in?

Noble's Orcrist looks like the runes are painted/printed on the blade

and their Glamdring still has the wire wrapping around the handle the wrong way. You'd figure they would have corrected that this time round.
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just don't get why the handle is so dark. It makes me wonder if the prop they were working off of was really that colour. Could this be another one of those colour correction issues seen on film?

Also disappointed to learn there is no pillow coming with Elrond's Headdress as I ordered one. However, it shouldn't be too hard to find one elsewhere to do the job.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]I just don't get why the handle is so dark. It makes me wonder if the prop they were working off of was really that colour. Could this be another one of those colour correction issues seen on film?

Also disappointed to learn there is no pillow coming with Elrond's Headdress as I ordered one. However, it shouldn't be too hard to find one elsewhere to do the job.[/quote]

Kit did mention about a year ago that there were a few different coloured handles. But UC's is the closest in terms of what the prop looked like (going by the photos we've seen on the internet) and also closer, if not exactly, to how it looks in the film.

My GF bought me the Deed of contract for xmas <3 her, its not so great but for what u pay its ok lol. I roughed it up a bit pinched all the areas that are supposed to be creased so now they are actually creased will take a lighter to some of it as well lol, I also will buy some nice jute twine and add the stitching and will put it in a display case and I think without handling it It would look nice.

NC has two versions of the thorin map one of which was available in Barnes and Nobles after seeing that one Im scared to even attempt to purchase the one on the web lol. As for the Key Weta has a key seperatly for purchase. The NC key that comes with the map looks a bit too shiny

Dang it! :angry:

The shipping date for Gandalf's Pipe has been pushed back to Feb. 28 from Jan. 30. They must be really having production issues with this thing, as the original date was Dec. 10. What makes this worse is that I have five other items on order that are waiting to ship bundled with the Pipe. Looks like I will now have to wait another month to receive everything, or just pay for shipping costs twice. :|
This Space for Rent

Well, the end of January has come and gone and no shipping notice from Noble. I sent them an email today inquiring if I now have to wait until the end of February before receiving all my items. What a hassle! I know problems can crop up unpredictably, but I wish manufacturers could provide more realistic estimates of when their products will be finished. I don't really blame Noble for this fiasco, only whomever is making this stupid pipe. :angry:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]My order has finally shipped! The pipe was actually ready at the beginning of February but they were still waiting on Elrond's Headdress, and that finally arrived at Noble today. I'll post some pics and a review of all the items I bought, if anyone is interested. :) [/quote]
We are always interested in pics.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Hey just got my Noble Sting from the Hobbit. As you all know the Hobbit sting is the same size as the UC version not the actor scale of their LOTR version. First impressions are very positive and I am happy I went with the NC version this time out. I posted pics alongside the UC LOTR version so you can make a comparison. The only discernible difference in size is the handle on the NC version is slightly smaller in circumference. The reason I went with the NC version was I had read that the vines were raised not painted on. I edited this post to make sure that its correct. The handle that I first thought was plastic is not plastic but a metal. From what I can tell it seems to be aluminum, none ferrous and light weight. The vines are not painted but the unliying bare metal. The wood color is what is painted.

Last edited by Alexander on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

While I, too, like the raised vine look of the NC Sting, I'm not crazy about the idea of molded plastic handle. Of course, given the 'serpent's tooth' handle on all versions of Orcrist, I'm not sure why I care anymore. I was under the impression the UC version of the Hobbit Sting has a wooden grip as opposed to plastic or resin. Is that correct? If so, I'd still prefer an actual wooden grip with printed vine design over molded and painted plastic. If both grips are plastic, however... :coolsmile

[quote=""polyphemus""]While I, too, like the raised vine look of the NC Sting, I'm not crazy about the idea of molded plastic handle. Of course, given the 'serpent's tooth' handle on all versions of Orcrist, I'm not sure why I care anymore. I was under the impression the UC version of the Hobbit Sting has a wooden grip as opposed to plastic or resin. Is that correct? If so, I'd still prefer an actual wooden grip with printed vine design over molded and painted plastic. If both grips are plastic, however... :coolsmile [/quote]

Yes UC's does have a wooden handle. I'm not to keen on the plastic handle for sting (noble version). Orcrist obviously had to have a plastic handle, I hear Dragon teeth are quite e xp ensive and UC would have had to charge at least 3 times the price if they went that route :P

Not sure if anyone's noticed but Noble managed to sneak a couple of "new" items into their Hobbit lineup.

They are the Key of Erebor and Thrain's Map but this time they are separate. I must say I really like the display case for the Key much better than Weta's little stand. I hate buying duplicate collectibles but the Key is cheap enough that I may just spring for it to get that sweet little case. The map on the frame also looks pretty nice but I'm very happy with the LOTR and book-accurate version I got from Indyprops. All in all, kudos to Noble for offering these alternatives although their original map and key in one display together was fairly clever on its own.

http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cf ... 8&catid=91

http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cf ... 7&catid=91
This Space for Rent

Return to “Noble Collection”