Re: The Hobbit by Noble Collection

It's back?!? I didn't realize it was gone. The only one of the three that has been unavailable for a long time was Vilya. I remember seeing Narya still available not too long ago on the Noble website and it was not the version you linked to. Maybe they finally ran out of stock on the original and now have this new one? Odd, but nice for those that want a second chance at owning it. :thumbs_up

Edit: Ok, just went to take a peek and noticed that Narya is listed in the Hobbit section now instead of LOTR, where it used to be. A dead giveaway that it is not the same ring, and the description and price confirm this. Also, Nenya is gone as well from the LOTR section and appears only in the Hobbit section. Nenya appears to be the same price and is possibly still the same ring from the LOTR days. Being made of silver, it was always cheaper than the others. The original Narya and Vilya were gold, however, not gold-plated, and cost around $350 each, if I recall correctly. I'm glad I have those versions and not the newer, cheaper ones. The new ones are also listed as "Gandalf ring" and "Galadriel ring," rather than the original "Narya, the ring of Gandalf," etc.
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

The only LOTR Narya's they had were size 6, and priced at about $450 before removal if my memory serves me correctly. I prefer the old one, but wouldn't be able to afford it at that price. I suppose if I want a fancy Vilya, I can get the JH one someday. :P It would be nice to have the 3 Elven Rings together. This version is still preferable to the Medioevo one.

Here's the old LOTR version for those who are interested:

Ah, I understand now why they had some left and are gone now: the size.

Ouch, thanks for reminding me of the high price I paid for these rings. Between the Three and the One Ring version with the black display box that has been unavailable for years, I spent close to $1500 on all four, and over if you include the Ring of Barahir. Still worth it though as they are nice showpieces and much better than these newer versions.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Nerdanel""] I suppose if I want a fancy Vilya, I can get the JH one someday. :P [/quote]

oooooo...do, do save your pennies for it (took me two years to budget for mine) ...am sitting here looking at it on the middle finger of my left hand as I type. I have banged it around so many times I can't count them and it still looks great. I told the JH people I intend to be buried with it. :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]oooooo...do, do save your pennies for it (took me two years to budget for mine) ...am sitting here looking at it on the middle finger of my left hand as I type. I have banged it around so many times I can't count them and it still looks great. I told the JH people I intend to be buried with it. :) [/quote]

Deimos, I'm slightly off topic, but how have I not seen your JH Vilya yet?! :D Do you have pictures? Of course, once I see how swanky it is, I probably won't like the Noble one. :P

[quote=""Valkrist""]Or you could just go to the JH site and see what one looks like there. ;)

Deimos doesn't post pics because he's afraid we might deduce where he lives from clues gleaned from the photos, in case we feel compelled to lay siege to his home and take his goodies after starving him out. :D [/quote]

No, I've seen it on the website...even wondered if they could be persuaded to make something middle of the price road for Vilya. You know how it is, it's so much better to see these replicas in person! ;)

Deimos, I promise I won't steal your stuff. Might drool a little though. :D

Deimos, I might just steal your stuff, so I don't blame you for being careful. ;) :P

You know, I really wish I had some of the rings, but it always seemed like such a gaggle to get them. So many different companies make them, plus the pricing is all over the place, then there's different karat numbers, plated vs solid...what's a guy to do? :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]what's a guy to do? :P [/quote]

Pick one and be happy with it! I did.

Well... maybe except with the One Ring. I always knew the Noble version wasn't 100% accurate, but I couldn't afford JH and didn't like the Badali stuff, so I sprung for the Noble one. When Weta finally put out some affordable ones many years later that were more accurate, it was a no-brainer to get one because it's the most important object in the entire book/movies. ;)
This Space for Rent

A quick check of the Weta site reveals the following versions still available:

18k gold with and without Elvish runes: $3300
10k gold with and without Elvish runes: $1250
Gold-plated Tungsten with Elvish runes: $99
Sterling silver with Elvish runes: $175

There's no sign of the Tungsten version without the runes, unless I'm just not seeing it, but I do believe that was the most popular version since it is affordable and most accurately depicts the ring as it is most often seen in the movies - without the runes. I got the Tungsten with runes because I like the runes being present. I love it and am completely satisfied with it as the solid gold versions were out of my price range. The gold-plated Tungsten has an awesome weight to it, looks exactly like the movie one, and the plating is meant to stand up to quite a bit of handling. Not a concern for me since it will be displayed, not worn. I don't regret the purchase and never looked back. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Weta still has the One Ring in gold-plated tungsten carbide w/o runes under the Hobbit - AUJ section for $99: http://www.wetanz.com/the-one-ring-gold ... ish-runes/

This is the version I have and I love it! It has a great weight and feel to it. I just position it so you don't see the trademarks on it. I might spring for a rune version someday, but it never appears that way in the film unless you're wearing it (and then it glows too).

And before I derail Noble's thread with Weta links, I also own the Noble version w/runes, but it doesn't have as convincing a look or feel to it in my honest opinion.

If Noble says they are coming in April, then I believe them. They clearly sold off their initial run, partly because a lot of it went to other to places, like WB Shop. Seems like this is indeed a second batch. One would hope they will have corrected some of those warpage problems Kit reported, but we have no way of knowing if this was common or just Kit's infamous bad luck at work. Having no contact with Noble makes it hard to guess at what's happening behind the scenes, especially as almost no one here collects their weapon replicas. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I was hoping to get one from a WB or Hobbit shop sale but it appears they're sold out everywhere, apparently until late april. That's probably for the best...I need to stop spending money. I'm about dried up on that front. :P [/quote]

Sell your trumpet.....or your guitar....or both. :evil:

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Is this a new map of Thorin offering from Noble?

http://www.noblecollection.com/index.cf ... 7&catid=91

The previously had two versions with a key, a large one and a mini one. If this does indeed look new, could anyone confirm if this is indeed the proper size of the prop map? The distressing isn't perfect, but I do like having a wood display for it.[/quote]

If you want that map, you may want to consider the one from Indyprops rather than the Noble or Weta versions.

Indy's is an accurate copy of the map as Tolkien drew it and as it appears in the LOTR when Gandalf examines it in Bilbo's home.

The other two (which are pretty much the same and are also copied from the movie version) are incorrect; specifically in the location of the hidden door.

As a plus Indy can make it with the "invisible" moon runes, and can also supply the frame.

I ordered the Weta version without noticing the incorrect placement of the hidden door marker. :angry:

Once I realized the [deliberate] mistake Weta made (for whatever reason) I gave it away and ordered Indy's version with the moon runes, but unframed. :)

Costs a bit more but that hidden door error was just so egregious I knew it would forever annoy me.

Just something you may want to consider....

[quote=""Deimos""]If you want that map, you may want to consider the one from Indyprops rather than the Noble or Weta versions.

Indy's is an accurate copy of the map as Tolkien drew it and as it appears in the LOTR when Gandalf examines it in Bilbo's home.

The other two (which are pretty much the same and are also copied from the movie version) are incorrect; specifically in the location of the hidden door.

As a plus Indy can make it with the "invisible" moon runes, and can also supply the frame.

I ordered the Weta version without noticing the incorrect placement of the hidden door marker. :angry:

Once I realized the [deliberate] mistake Weta made (for whatever reason) I gave it away and ordered Indy's version with the moon runes, but unframed. :)

Costs a bit more but that hidden door error was just so egregious I knew it would forever annoy me.

Just something you may want to consider....[/quote]

Yikes! That is one of those things you wouldn't pick up on at first, but once you do... It. Won't. Go. Away! :(

Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad I know that now. I want to get a version of this map eventually, it was just a matter of figuring out which one. I didn't need one with a key (have the Weta key already) and I like the idea of a wood frame like Bilbo had.

Are the Indy and DeMiguel maps essentially the same as far as accuracy? I bet Indy is swamped with projects (he's working on no less than 3 Red Books right now + a certain sword...) and I don't know that I could afford his work if it's more than the Weta one. I can PM you about that if you prefer though. :)

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Yikes! That is one of those things you wouldn't pick up on at first, but once you do... It. Won't. Go. Away! :(

Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad I know that now. I want to get a version of this map eventually, it was just a matter of figuring out which one. I didn't need one with a key (have the Weta key already) and I like the idea of a wood frame like Bilbo had.

Are the Indy and DeMiguel maps essentially the same as far as accuracy? I bet Indy is swamped with projects (he's working on no less than 3 Red Books right now + a certain sword...) and I don't know that I could afford his work if it's more than the Weta one. I can PM you about that if you prefer though. :) [/quote]

I'm not familiar with the DeMiguel map.

Here is the link to Indy's map with a detailed e xp lanation of the options, but no pricing:

http://www.indyprops.com/pp-thror.htm

If I remember correctly I paid well less than $100 for the UNframed map WITH the runes.

I will have to go back to my email correspondence with him wherein he sent me pricing for everything I was interested in, (but that was also 3 years ago, and is probably not acuurate, tho' maybe not greatly increased either)

I'm sure I've posted this before, but if not. Here is where I got my map. It was from a guy on the RPF and its pretty close to the Fellowship map and was one on my very first Middle Earth projects. I made the frame and put it on a piece of mat board. Still sits in my display table to this day.

I was all set to buy the Daniel Reeve Weta version till I found all the differences the Deimos was mentioning. I like things to be more LOTR than Hobbit.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56300233/ma ... =related-3

No, I hadn't seen this one before, I had only seen the DeMiguel one on Etsy. But, while this is probably the perfect map for you, N2, I don't think I'd be crafty enough to age my own map... :(

Does he have the moon runes on his? I suppose if you mounted it, it might not matter, but there's a chance it could still shine through if it was written on the front. Odds are I will probably go with one I can't mess up though... :|

[quote=""Nerdanel""]No, I hadn't seen this one before, I had only seen the DeMiguel one on Etsy.[/quote]

I have the DeMiguel Thror's map, Eomer banishment order, and Isildur scroll. I am very happy with all 3 and he gave me a great deal! I think I paid around $100, but he made me that offer because I was ordering all 3 items. His map has the hidden moon runes in ultraviolet ink. Now, of course, I'm paranoid about the secret door location. I'll need to take a look, but I do think DeMiguel's is accurate in that regard. :thumbs_up

Here's a link to his Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/deMiguelReplic ... eader-name

[quote=""Nerdanel""]... I want to get a version of this map eventually, it was just a matter of figuring out which one. I didn't need one with a key (have the Weta key already) and I like the idea of a wood frame like Bilbo had. ... :) [/quote].

I meant to add that Indy's frame is an exact replica (or as close a possible) of the frame used for the map in LOTR (the one that Gandalf picks up).
But to keep the map in place he uses glass also, which I don't think Bilbo did ;) .

If you don't want the glass see if he will sell you the map and frame sans glass ...might save you a bit (and also less weight to ship and maybe less to insure as well).
Never hurts to ask...
Last edited by Deimos on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, that's not what I had hoped to hear...although, it gives me more time to make money, so that's a plus. I've picked up like four commencement gigs, that should pay for another sword. :P [/quote]

Got the Elgar down pretty good, have we? ;)

Lol Deimos, I just saw that post...the Elgar. :P Yeah we've got it down pat, precious! Challening repertoire that it is. ;)

Well, Thorin's sword is supposed to be back in stock today. Website status changed to "Coming Soon". I think I'll wait for The Hobbit Shop to have a sale though, didn't they have it for like $165 a couple of times? Plus I'm saving my money in case Buckeye decides to part with her duplicates from that lot a couple weeks back.

'Coming soon' means most likely that they will just put another placeholder date in place very shortly. That's exactly what happened last time 'Coming soon' was up for this sword. They must be having some serious issues getting this thing manufactured again and back in stock.
Last edited by Valkrist on Fri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Status has changed to 'Available now.'

Could this be your (our?) chance?

If you do order it, let me know right away what the reply from them is. I've ordered something from NC before where it says available, only to then be told the item won't ship for a while. :huh:
Last edited by Valkrist on Sat May 31, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

I always try to bargain hunt. :P $209 is pretty steep for a 28" long sword. And NC isn't usually as high quality as UC so taking that into account as well, I'm not altogether keen to drop $209 plus shipping for this, as much as I really do want it. But there don't seem to be veryy many options, and the ebay prices are just silly as always.

I hope you gents find one. I was lucky enough to get a "Hobbit Shop" Sale last year and picked up Thorin's sword. Only drawback was i only got it in my hands a few weeks ago lol. (i have been travelling like crazy, so had it shipped to my friend in Chicago to also get free shipping..and he held on to it for me since Oct! haha). But it was well worth the wait..i'm very happy with this sword. And...i guess...this is my first "Hobbit" weapon.... :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I can't seem to find it in either the LotR or Hobbit section on their site. Is it a sold out item from the LotR line? I've never even seen it before.

In other news, Deathless is back in stock with thehobbitshop.com, so it must really be back. I'll be waiting as long as it takes for $50 off on their site.

Alright, I did it. Almost begrudgingly. :P I hate to drop that kind of money, I really hope this is a nice sword. The Hobbit shop has a sale code going on for another like...4 hours (God I need to sleep :P ) so I just ponied up and dropped my $180. Not a bad price, all things considered, and free shipping too. But they charged me tax, which never happens online, so I was a little peeved about that. :| Whatever, I just can't wait for it to get here. This will be my first non-UC sword from a real company, so I'm excited. And I found a killer deal on Kili's Sword on amazon, so if I can rake in a lot of hours at work this week then I might just finish the family trifecta. I really hope that I don't go crazy for Weta's SDCC selections, because I won't be able to afford them. :O

Did you ever post some images of your refinish Magneticone? Would love to see how it turned out. (Sorry if i missed them!)
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Return to “Noble Collection”