Re: The Hobbit by Noble Collection

Well, much to my surprise, The Hobbit Shop has a warehouse in Lansing, MI, so I'll be receiving my Deathless sword today! I'll give you all my impressions when it arrives. :thumbs_up

In other news, NC is up to their old tricks again. Stuff that's sold out is already off the website. :P
Last edited by Fingolfin on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

The sword has arrived! I must say it is extremely heavy. Almost as heavy if not heavier than the Battle Axe of Gimli, which is massively heavy for a replica. I really like the sword overall, my only real wish would be to have more gold in the hilt, but studio product photos are never quite honest in their depictions of these things. It's more of a brushed bronze than the bright gold in the image. Detailing is still really nice and I'm glad I bought it! I have the perfect spot for it...right over the warped open seam in my display case. :P
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Just took a look at that Fin and I don't believe it is a licensed replica.

If you look at the last photo, which I believe is an actual product shot that noble used to have on their site, you can see that the pattern on the brooch in the photos that the seller took doesn't look anything like the one shown in the original product shot by Noble Collection.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I wasn't sure because it has the New Line logo on the back, which leads me to believe that it's licensed. :| [/quote]

There is a company in Italy that was (is?) licensed to make/market LOTR products. Some of their stuff is, to put it kindly, low(er) end than Noble.
I've seen their licensed version of the One Ring (with inscription) ....good for a costume prop, but that would be all.
Not certain if it is the same company that had the license to produce the Mirkwood Bow.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

So i think my Ebay luck has run out... I found a Noble Gandalf the Grey Illuminating staff from "The Hobbit" for $60. I totally agree that the UC or Weta replicas would make much better quality reproductions, but the illuminating feature played towards the kid in me lol. It did not come with its original box, but it did arrive safely, complete, and without any noticeable flaws. I was very happy, to finally add my FIRST staff to my collection! But...after assembling it... This is the first GtheG staff i've seen in person...but...i don't think this is right: lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Oh dear... I wasn't aware Gandalf ever used a bow! :huh:

In all seriousness though, Jash, did the listing and/or photos specify the staff was deformed like that? Because if not, you have a case with Paypal. If yes, then it is a case of Buyer Beware and you drew the short straw. :(

What is that thing made out of? I suspect that unless it is some very malleable material, that it is not going back to its intended shape.
This Space for Rent

I suspect it was displayed horizontally. :|
Take precautions if any of you are displaying your in that way, as I know some of you are. :coolsmile
Rotate your stock, if you notice any bending.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Jash . . . I'm so sorry your staff is so badly deformed. Did the seller have pics of it in the eBay listing? If so, I think you have grounds for filing a misrepresentation complaint and seeking arbitration.

[quote=""Thranduil""]I suspect it was displayed horizontally. :|
Take precautions if any of you are displaying your in that way, as I know some of you are. :coolsmile
Rotate your stock, if you notice any bending.[/quote]

I keep a close eye on my staves, checking them weekly for any such issues. So far, no problems.

I wonder if the NC illumibating staff is made of an inferior, less brittle resin that would result is such significant damage over time. Or, I wonder if if it was stored in a hot attic or storage space . . .

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oh dear... I wasn't aware Gandalf ever used a bow! :huh:

In all seriousness though, Jash, did the listing and/or photos specify the staff was deformed like that? Because if not, you have a case with Paypal. If yes, then it is a case of Buyer Beware and you drew the short straw. :(

What is that thing made out of? I suspect that unless it is some very malleable material, that it is not going back to its intended shape.[/quote]

Val's point is well taken. You may also have a case to make via Paypal, too.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oh dear... I wasn't aware Gandalf ever used a bow! :huh: [/quote]
For those interested, i'm open to offers on my one-of-a-kind, didn't get any screen time, will never be officially reproduced, "Super Staff of Gandalf" - it turns into a bow and fires arrows made of light... Starting bid: $2000...

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Oh no! I'm so sorry that staff is bent. Do you think the plastic can be bent back?[/quote]
I'm not too sure... It's made of polyresin i believe. The problem is that it must be assembled from 3 parts. So whenever i apply too much pressure - you can tell the joining pieces are being put under a lot of stress. I currently have it "upsidedown" with the "hump" facing up...and balanced one of my text books on top lol.

[quote=""Idril""]For that price, I'm thinking I would keep it. Those are e xp ensive. Does it still light up? You could try using a hair dryer or something to warm it up and hope to slowly get it back to straight. One thing is for sure.... You'll never get it at that price again.[/quote]
Yup, still lights up. Other than the warp...it's in really good shape for one that's been "used" since they came out. You raise a really good point, even after shipping it was $80 - half of the retail price. And i'm still on the fence whether to return it and one day try my luck again, or hang on to it, and hopefully it'll correct itself a little over time...

Val & Buckeye:
Thank you for the advice. I'm still getting used to Ebay (have yet to return anything) - so it's good to know i have a few options. Here's the story - the seller had a starting bid of $60 for the staff, as well as an "X-Men" comic i wanted...i offered $100 for both, shipped. He agreed, cancelled the staff listing, and added it to the comic listing - which i then bought and paid for immediately. Prior to my offer, i did email him asking questions about the staff...since one of his pictures showed a slight warp (nowhere near the extent of the 3rd picture i posted). I asked him how bad was it warped / bent, as pictures can be deceiving (as you can tell by my 3 pics of the same staff above), as well as if there are any nicks, dents, scratches, etc..... He replied saying it "has no damage or wear".

[quote=""Jash""]I asked him how bad was it warped / bent, as pictures can be deceiving (as you can tell by my 3 pics of the same staff above), as well as if there are any nicks, dents, scratches, etc..... He replied saying it "has no damage or wear".[/quote]

Not good enough. Warping that bad is definitely considered damage by any definition of the word. You can and should open up a dispute with Ebay before your allowable time to do so e xp ires. Nothing is preventing you from agreeing with the seller to consider the comic purchase a done deal, but the staff is another matter. You can present pictures to Ebay on how the staff is supposed to look, using stock product photos from Noble, and what you received, as well as copies of his email stating that it is not damaged. They will most likely transfer the case to Paypal, who will open a case on your behalf.

If you choose to keep it and see if it straightens out over time, you could lose the opportunity to do this.
This Space for Rent

Both very good suggestions - and i'm still not sure what to do...

Good news - using my textbook as weight on the outer part of the curved section is working! Already seeing results after just a couple of days.

Bad news - i think it was too much, too fast. The top joining piece is slightly wobbly. Luckily i'm doing this without the screws inside in order to tighten it all up later. However, i did take the textbook off to ease the pressure...

Annoying news - i emailed the seller with my concern, with no reply as of yet (it's been 2 days). I also emailed Noble to confirm this was an actual issue, and any advice on if it's fixable, or damaged beyond repair...no reply either.

Worrying news - remember i said the seller cancelled the staff listing, and then added it to the comic listing so i can buy both at a discount? Well... the original staff listing had "14 day return", but the comic listing (that the staff was added to) has "no returns"...

[quote=""RevAnakin""]You could always try and get the seller to refund you a portion of the item. I mean who knows, half off may make it worth it for you to try and warp it back :D [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! He was willing to refund some of the money back - $10. I'm just happy he was so understanding and considerate. So of the, now, $90 total...taking the comic to be $40... I could live with a "work in progress" $50 light up Noble staff lol. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Jash on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glad to hear Jash! I do this quite frequently with Amazon these days. They'll pack something collectible with something practical and the box of the collectible might get damaged. I ask for partial refund and poof! I just got the item half off. It's a better move than a full refund for both parties. Now you have a new project!

Just got the Noble Bilbo Pipe for my collection. Not a bad replica, and I knew it was too short, but it is REALLY short and not much curve to the stem. The Noble pipe is 9 1/4" in length. The prop is around 14.5".

The bowl is a very accurate reproduction of the prop though. The little polyresin carved wood leaves look good. The polyresin cord wrap on the stem could have been better, and it should be a blond white color, but that should be an easy fix. I think it is poly because they needed a hard sleeve to join the stem to the bowl.

Overall it is not bad replica for the price, but I think I'll find a cheap $15-20 church warden pipe with a proper length curved stem on ebay to replace the stem on this.

Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Considering a new 14-16" churchwarden on amazon or ebay costs around $15, I doubt cost of the longer stem was an issue. I don't know. Odd.

The Bilbo movie prop stem is very close to Gandalf's curved FOTR pipe stem. Actually, if you take the leaves off Bilbo's pipe, it is very close to Gandalf's FOTR pipe in shape. I have been working on drawings for a Gandalf FOTR pipe replica recently and compared that to his Hobbit pipe. Completely different, and the Hobbit pipe is only 11 1/2" long. Different eras though, so it would not necessarily be the same pipe. I really wish I had bought Vauen Gandalf pipe back when they had the LOTR license!

This is close to the length and curve the stem should have been.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Considering a new 14-16" churchwarden on amazon or ebay costs around $15, I doubt cost of the longer stem was an issue. I don't know. Odd.

The Bilbo movie prop stem is very close to Gandalf's curved FOTR pipe stem. Actually, if you take the leaves off Bilbo's pipe, it is very close to Gandalf's FOTR pipe in shape. I have been working on drawings for a Gandalf FOTR pipe replica recently and compared that to his Hobbit pipe. Completely different, and the Hobbit pipe is only 11 1/2" long. Different eras though, so it would not necessarily be the same pipe. I really wish I had bought Vauen Gandalf pipe back when they had the LOTR license!

This is close to the length and curve the stem should have been.
[/quote]

Are you working on that for a personal project or another LOTR/Hobbit manufacturer?

[quote=""Magneticone""]Perhaps they made the pipe to Hobbit size , the prop would have been human size for the actor , but for a Hobbit would be about the size of Nobles pipe . Just my opinion as I do not collect the pipes[/quote]

The replica is actually human/actor scale, as far as the bowl size and stem diameter. It's just cut short. The Noble Gandalf pipe is also cut short by almost the same amount.
KRDS

I'd like to get the Noble coins. It is always difficult to get Noble stuff though when you are outside the U.S. so it will be a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the info on the pipes. I recently managed to pick up the Noble Aragorn pipe and yes, it seems very short, even for a ranger to use when travelling.

Great new that UC will be putting one out!

Edit: oh just got it. That is better than great news! Very exciting. Where is that 'doing a jig' smilie.... :)
Last edited by Idril on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pull out your FOTR disc and look for the scene when Frodo and Sam are traveling through the Shire, specifically where Sam is cooking fish (and taters? :D ) in a skillet.

Check out the churchwarden he is smoking.
I'd put money on it being nearly as long as Gandalf's pipe.

Even adjusting for "Hobbit size" (making Sam about 1 m tall) it would still be over 12 inches long.

[quote=""Nasnandos""].....

Is anyone here going to get the Noble Collection Smaug Coins?[/quote]

I still prefer Indy's Smaug coins.
Heavy and worn looking. Both Weta's and Noble's look like they were just minted, not like they've been lying around, piled up for a hundred (or more) years.

[quote=""Deimos""]I still prefer Indy's Smaug coins.
Heavy and worn looking. Both Weta's and Noble's look like they were just minted, not like they've been lying around, piled up for a hundred (or more) years.[/quote]
The marketing photos/art of the Noble coins look like they have an antique finish, unlike Weta's. Of course, that may just be art. The photos I saw of Indy's all looked really shiny and new.

They all look much better and far more detailed than the actual props, but the props were never meant to be seen up close. The only problem I have will all of them is that they are all gold plated the same color. The coins props were in various shades of gold and silver. I may get a set of the Noble coins just to re color in other silver and gold colors to mix in with the Weta coins.

[quote=""Idril""]Edit: oh just got it. That is better than great news! Very exciting. Where is that 'doing a jig' smilie.... :) [/quote]
I figured someone would get it, as there is really only one product it could be :)
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The marketing photos/art of the Noble coins look like they have an antique finish, unlike Weta's. Of course, that may just be art. The photos I saw of Indy's all looked really shiny and new.

They all look much better and far more detailed than the actual props, but the props were never meant to be seen up close. The only problem I have will all of them is that they are all gold plated the same color. The coins props were in various shades of gold and silver. I may get a set of the Noble coins just to re color in other silver and gold colors to mix in with the Weta coins.[/quote]

Kit, (and I know you know this) *ahem* gold doesn't tarnish, so it can't look "antiqued".
All the gold coins on top of the hoard might be (and probably are) dirty and dusty.
But the ones underneath would be shiny (and worn...thank you very much , Indy :) )

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I figured someone would get it, as there is really only one product it could be :) [/quote]

I too, had to re-read your post...I'm guessing it's Gandalf's staff from FOTR....but I know you can't confirm or deny it.

"All right then, keep your secrets....." :D

Well, that was my point :) They were not all gold. Some are silver, some silver/gold, some copper/gold, some bronze/brass colored. Some look dirty with grit and grime, and a few have a tarnished look. About half look like shiny, pure solid gold, but even a few of those have dirt and grime embedded in the deep details.

If Noble has done some aging on theirs it may make a nice mix with the clean Weta versions. Just need a few in silver to get the mix to look right.

[quote=""Deimos""]I too, had to re-read your post...I'm guessing it's Gandalf's staff from FOTR....but I know you can't confirm or deny it.
"All right then, keep your secrets....." [/quote]
I'll just say it will include also a little nail spike that Gandalf used for his tobacco tamper...similar to one he used to scratch a certain green door.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]...
If Noble has done some aging on theirs it may make a nice mix with the clean Weta versions. Just need a few in silver to get the mix to look right.
[/quote]

Uhhh...silver??? ... and silver coins would really be what color after a very short period of time?

[quote=""Nasnandos""] Middle-earth silver (Mithril does not tarnish for example) or earthly silver? [/quote]

Oh...yeah...right...touche..... :embarasse (I knew that...)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not a company known for transparency or product announcements, but does anyone know what is up with Noble and their line of Hobbit collectibles? Has their license quietly e xp ired?

Aside from the Smaug 5-coin set, nothing new has been released for months. In fact, after a good spurt of AUJ stuff, their TDOS lineup was quite small, and the BOFA one, with the possible exception of the coins, has been non-existent. I noticed today that Galadriel's headdress has mysteriously vanished from their items page, confirming my fears that one by one, these replicas are going out of production without warning and will one day command absurd prices on ebay. That's too bad because that headdress was on my "to buy" list. :(

Guess I'd better think about getting the remaining things that I want some time soon, like Bilbo's pipe, Deathless, the coin set, and possibly Thranduil's last three rings.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Noble Collection”