"Battle Above the Black Gate" Diorama

Hey all,

Firstly, Sideshow's official link:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=9715

Secondly, My pics:
photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1445

Well...Sideshow's been coming out with some pretty amazing stuff lately - but this is one piece i've always wanted ever since i saw the scene in the movie! And i think Sideshow did a great job bringing this one together. Firstly, it's HUGE! Secondly, the set up is one of those in which every angle gives the diorama a new look. Thirdly, excellent choices and application on the painting. Fourthly, i don't know, all i can say is no regrets what-so-ever about buying this piece! Sorry for all the pics (i took a LOT more), but i just got carried away with different angles and lighting....lol.

If anyone's on the fence about purchasing the "Eagle vs Fell Beast" diorama - for what it's worth, i would highly recommend it... :thumbs_up

Re: "Battle Above the Black Gate" Diorama

thanks for the welcome :)

in the count Im not including the 2 sets of wetas from each of the dvds collectors box and 3 sets of weta bookends from "no admittance" book collectors run (hard to find these days, make GREAT gifts to tolkien readers)

I think a missed opportunity on sideshows part Ive thought was never making a small run of a larger version of the argonath bookends...they would look eye popping on a bookcase. :thumbs_up

Sounds like a great collection TolkienReader!
Which one is your favourite so far?? lol
For me, it's still the "Battle Above the Black Gate" - i think it is mainly due to the symbolism of the scene, not to mention a really involving sculpt!

I hear ya about spending wisely - i really need to decide which items coming out this year i want, versus which i really want, and compare that to which i can't live without.... at least there's time to decide...

the one that stands out is suaron, the piece pulls you in. I'm bias to the action of dioramas but sauron tops them all so far.

I break down the statues into 4 catagories, 1 - static, 2 - action, 3 monster captures & the dioramas

1 - static : king of the dead is in the lead (sauron excluded)
2 - action : 3 way tie between aragorn @ the black gates, gandalf on shadowfax & gothmog on warg
3 - creature captures : battle troll (going by pictures and not what I have I would say balrog)
4 - dioramas : battle above black gate (although gandalf vs balrog prototype is absolutely a killer that will beat out b.a.b.g)

Good choices indeed!
I guess that is why my very limited Sideshow collection consists of only: "b.a.b.g" diorama, sauron, gandalf/shadowfax, king of the dead, and 2 12'' figures.

I was very tempted on the "gandalf vs balgrog" as well as the "Uruk-Hai Berserker" - but instead i put my name down for the "PF Conan".... Too many good things out there...

PF are top of the line, enjoy

...many choices...

and now sideshow & the rev'd up UC are now competing for what was my hope to be affordable purchases (whatever bizzare math calculations that may involve and mores the pitty I cant deficit spend like the goverment [how much can you get for a pint of blood these days? :) ])

too bad sideshow doesnt have an economy class price line as well, the statues would have the same quality and look, just smaller in size and lighter on the wallet

[quote=""TolkienReader""]too bad sideshow doesnt have an economy class price line as well, the statues would have the same quality and look, just smaller in size and lighter on the wallet[/quote]
Well, i've been 2nd guessing the PF Conan lately...it's just a problem of $$$. In terms of economy class price - i was really enjoying the LOTR 12'' figures, but i've noticed a steady increase in price (my brother collects the Star Wars 12'' figures...) lately...

Usually, i don't mind spending the money when i think it's worth it. And TolkienReader listed a few good examples of that! It was an eye-opener lately when i realized some of my Sideshow pieces (BABG diorama being the latest) cost more than my UC swords! lol

babg is excellent craftmanship, but I agree that $ of sideshow weta statue vs UC item is now going UC's way. Looking at whats coming out, a month ago a boromir sword was looking good at 350 and now, well, I can now almost buy 2 UC to 1 sideshow statue that I would be interested in. Im thinking now it was a mistake to order the dark counsel and have that money instead to get another new sword coming out and have money to spare.

did this thread wander off the subject, sorry about that. :)

babg is worth the price. when looking at it, you get the feeling you walked in on a slufest & it halts you in your tracks. having this made me pass on going for the static pose statue of nazgul on fellbeast

Return to “Sideshow Collectibles”