Re: New to Polystone

[quote=""Valkrist""]Nice! Very happy that you like them, Buckeye. I'd hate to endorse something so enthusiatically only to have you be disappointed when you finally received them. :) [/quote]

I am very happy with both of pieces, and your praise of Theoden is spot on. My challenge is to find room to display them and in safe locations. I do have two young and energetic cats in the house. :|

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]As for your mystery statue, shall we take wagers? ;)

My three guesses are: Galadriel, Arwen, or Strider. :coolsmile [/quote]

By all means. Let the wagering begin! :thumbs_up

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Striders_Heir""]I just purchased my first Sideshow Weta 1:6 Poly Statue. I feel like I might throw up a bit... :p uker:[/quote]

Oh dear, I can't tell if that's from excitement or disgust with yourself for caving in...? :huh:

Will you tell us what it is and when it will arrive? Also, what you paid for it, if you are ok with that (personal curiosity for comparison's sake.)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Striders_Heir""]And the feeling ill is mostly from the fact that I've started the slow descent into Poly collecting.[/quote]

Ah, ok then... in that case... *cue evil laugh* :evil:

Like Buckeye, I think you are going to love Theoden, which is definitely one of the best of the early statues, and $100 for NIB is excellent. Great pickup, and yeah... prepare to call your credit card company and ask for a limit increase. ;)
This Space for Rent

I've held off commenting on this thread from the beginning when Buckeye first started it, because I am not addicted to Polystone (more on that later).

But congratulations (or condolences?) to Buckeye and Strider's Heir on taking the plunge .... there are such fantastic statues out there. May your credit card limit be ever boundless.

My initial desire for polystone grabbed me when I saw another forum member's diorama of Eowyn facing the Morgul Lord. I had seen the statues separately, but never thought how they could be paired in a display. It is such a pivotal scene (in both book and movie) that I had to have it.

I decided to selectively purchase polystone figures if they could be displayed as a diorama from a scene in the book. For example, when Kyle made Galadriel's mirror I bought Galadriel.
If the scene were in the movie as well, so much the better.

Concerning environments: if the environment was close enough, or impressively beyond, as I imagined it in the book (which I read prior to seeing the movies) I bought it. So I have Pre-ruin Orthanc and Rivendell.
(My Holy Grail is the Argonath, which I doubt of ever seeing this side of eternity.)

There are many more figures and environments that are iconic or in pivotal scenes , but space is at a premium so I ...must ...resist .... the blessing and curse of the "Pull of Polystone".

My antidote, which is more like a vaccine because I have to get dosed regularly, about every three months is..... hypnosis ;) .

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

That is quite the tale, Deimos. I love how complex and well-thought out your actions are when it comes to collecting, and how your devotion to Tolkien's books override movie hoopla and mass marketing aimed straight at our wallets. I don't have as much self-control as you do, but compared to some folks I've seen, I'm a rank amateur. I do restrict my collection to things that were either in the books, or that appeared in the movies and can be logically rationalized to have existed within Tolkien's universe as written. Thus, I can feel good about buying Tauriel's weapons and renaming them Avar weapons, while not going anywhere near the Black Harpoon that Bard used because it strays too far outside of what I find acceptable and reconcilable with what's written.
This Space for Rent

Thank you, Val.

(I hope my reasoning isn't too complex...one shouldn't need a PhD to follow it. :D )

Truly, there are so many statues that could be placed in dioramas (with some N2 style creativity and skill)... I just wish I did have the space.

The Statues like the current Balrog and Barad-dur (evil though they be ) are spot-on perfect.
But all the really big statues, good and evil, why, there just wouldn't be enough room. I'd have to move into the garage and the polystone would have the run of the house. :P

So congrats and happy polystone hunting to both seasoned and newbie addicts, I mean collectors.
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Striders_Heir""]I just purchased my first Sideshow Weta 1:6 Poly Statue. I feel like I might throw up a bit... :p uker:[/quote]
Welcome to the club, SH :thumbs_up

[quote=""Buckeye""]Okay, I have officially begun slipping down the polystone slope. :D
Theoden and Eowyn arrived today and I just unboxed them. WOW. They are both really nice. I especially like the Theoden statue, which is positively terrific. I absolutely do not regret these purchases.[/quote]
Glad you like them Buckeye! I still need to find a Theoden one day...

[quote=""Buckeye""]By all means. Let the wagering begin! :thumbs_up [/quote]
Well, my bet's on the Morgul Lord... only because he looks awesome displayed opposite Eowyn (i had to buy them as a pair lol). Guess 2 - Gandalf the Grey. Guess 3 - hhmm...Boromir...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Valkrist""]I thought of the Morgul Lord as well but Buckeye was very clear about not collecting baddies, so... ;) [/quote]

D'Oh! You're right Val. That completely slipped my mind when i replied. Guess i forfeit my 1st guess lol

The two poly pieces I've been waiting for (Elessar and the yet-to-be-revealed item) arrived today. I can't wait to get them home and unbox them!

A bit later this evening I'll let you know if anyone's guess hit the mark. ;)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]The two poly pieces I've been waiting for (Elessar and the yet-to-be-revealed item) arrived today. I can't wait to get them home and unbox them!

A bit later this evening I'll let you know if anyone's guess hit the mark. ;) [/quote]

Noooooooo!!!!.......Go home NOW and unbox them!

I just unboxed the King Elessar statue. It's wonderful! It has terrific detail and a nice paint job. I look forward to placing him near the Elessar crown and ring of Barahir.

One more piece to unbox . . .

Oh yeah, I'm definitely hooked!

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]I just unboxed the King Elessar statue. It's wonderful! It has terrific detail and a nice paint job. I look forward to placing him near the Elessar crown and ring of Barahir.

One more piece to unbox . . .

Oh yeah, I'm definitely hooked![/quote]

Such a tease!!!! Congrats on the recent additions!

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Such a tease!!!! Congrats on the recent additions![/quote]

Thanks Arwyniel!

Okay, I unboxed the last of my recent poly purchases. As for guessing which one it is . . . though I was REALLY tempted by the Golden Hall enviro (Fin is correct about my love of all things Rohirrim!), and was also tempted by Boromir (Jash's guess), Val's guess of Strider came closest. The piece I picked up is Aragorn at the Black Gates. :crazy: :thumbs_up

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Oooh... very nice, one of the favourite pieces that I own. You're really going for an Aragorn display, aren't you? Well, it won't be complete without Badali's Elfstone, Arwen statue, Evenstar Pendant, Strider statue, and now possibly Kyle's Tomb of Elessar statue project. :thumbs_up

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I never would have guessed you would have gone for one of the big statues right away, but congrats for such a bold step! :)
Last edited by Valkrist on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Buckeye""]...The piece I picked up is Aragorn at the Black Gates. :crazy: :thumbs_up [/quote]

Oh, WOW! That is one of my favorite pieces.
I'll never buy it but I like looking at it :) .

Great start(s) on your polystone collecting.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oooh... very nice, one of the favourite pieces that I own. You're really going for an Aragorn display, aren't you? Well, it won't be complete without Badali's Elfstone, Arwen statue, Evenstar Pendant, Strider statue, and now possibly Kyle's Tomb of Elessar statue project. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Now there'a list and bit! I've already got my name on the list for Kyle's Tomb of Elessar, and I do plan to get a Badali Elfstone at some point later, so that's two of the five. :)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Deimos""]Oh, WOW! That is one of my favorite pieces.
I'll never buy it but I like looking at it :) .

Great start(s) on your polystone collecting.[/quote]

Thanks! It's been a very exciting (and e xp ensive) week. No regrets, though.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Yeah, the mounted pieces scare me because of their enormous size and space requirements, so I only have Aragorn on Brego - no Gandalf on Shadowfax, Legolas and Gimli on Arod, Nazgul on Steed, Gothmog on Warg, etc. :(

However, if the only Eomer they make is on Firefoot, I may have to find space... somehow! :P
This Space for Rent

Gandalf and Shadowfax actually don't take up a terrible amount of space because they're oriented vertically, unlike the others. If you've got an open air space or a tall shelf, you can fit him fine! :)

Sorry I'm not helping! :evil:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Oooh... very nice, one of the favourite pieces that I own. You're really going for an Aragorn display, aren't you? Well, it won't be complete without Badali's Elfstone, Arwen statue, Evenstar Pendant, Strider statue, and now possibly Kyle's Tomb of Elessar statue project. :thumbs_up

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I never would have guessed you would have gone for one of the big statues right away, but congrats for such a bold step! :) [/quote]

Val, are you getting the Tomb?
I didn't see your name on the list, unless (like moi) you are there under a different user name.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Gandalf and Shadowfax actually don't take up a terrible amount of space because they're oriented vertically, unlike the others. If you've got an open air space or a tall shelf, you can fit him fine! :)

Sorry I'm not helping! :evil: [/quote]

No, you are not. :angry:

[quote=""Deimos""]Val, are you getting the Tomb?
I didn't see your name on the list, unless (like moi) you are there under a different user name.[/quote]

I'm not registered there, no. I do browse and I am aware of the Tomb project. I've been agonizing ever since I found about it as to whether I should get it. The price isn't bad, the work looks amazing so far, but I'm ever worried about space. In the end I'm probably just kidding myself and I will be on that list before you know it. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yeah, the mounted pieces scare me because of their enormous size and space requirements, so I only have Aragorn on Brego - no Gandalf on Shadowfax, Legolas and Gimli on Arod, Nazgul on Steed, Gothmog on Warg, etc. :(

However, if the only Eomer they make is on Firefoot, I may have to find space... somehow! :P [/quote]

If you only have one, it has to be the Ringwraith on Steed. The single best Sideshow Weta statue in the whole catalogue IMHO.

[quote=""Idril""]If you only have one, it has to be the Ringwraith on Steed. The single best Sideshow Weta statue in the whole catalogue IMHO.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I want one very badly but never see them go for anything less than $600. Also, how do you tell the fakes from the real ones before buying? I still can't believe someone went through the trouble of counterfeiting this thing. :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Tell me about it. I want one very badly but never see them go for anything less than $600. Also, how do you tell the fakes from the real ones before buying? I still can't believe someone went through the trouble of counterfeiting this thing. :huh: [/quote]

There are a few things to look out for. Firstly don't buy from Southern California especially an artist proof. They are all fakes.

The recasts don't come in the original coloured box and the brown shipper box is not a normally SSW stamped box either but does have a few stamps.

The foam inserts do not look smooth where it cradles the statue. More like someone carved it to fit.

The underside of the base does NOT have the silicon stoppers on the bottom.

Harder to spot but the definition on the horses mane and bridle is not as clean and deep as the real statue.

[quote=""Buckeye""]Oh yeah, I'm definitely hooked![/quote]
As i stated before..... muwahahahahaha :evil:

[quote=""Buckeye""]The piece I picked up is Aragorn at the Black Gates. :crazy: :thumbs_up [/quote]
That is AWESOME!!! A piece i've been keeping an eye on for years. I shall have one...one day. Great choice!!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Now for Gandalf the White on Shadowfax. :laugh: [/quote]

^I concur. One of my favourite pieces in my collection!

Great tips Idril, thank you for that. I never knew people were faking these statues until the discussion in this thread. Guess i need to be more careful on those "too good to be true" finds

Yes, what Idril and Fin said.

Weta (and Sideshow back then) does not release production quantity numbers unless the statue is specifically a Limited Edition release. The Gandalf statue, as an open edition, was available for a few years before it went out of production altogether. My guess would be that quite a lot of them were made, and the low value on eBay can easily confirm its lack of rarity.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Yep, he's Open edition. :) [/quote]

[quote=""Idril""]It was an OE so no one knows. Quite a lot though. Unlike Sam and Bill or the Merry statue (all OEs too), much fewer made. The first release 1:6 were all OEs[/quote]

Well that would certainly e xp lain why I couldn't find a number anywhere. Thanks very much. :)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]The Gandalf statue, as an open edition, was available for a few years before it went out of production altogether. My guess would be that quite a lot of them were made, and the low value on eBay can easily confirm its lack of rarity.[/quote]

Good to know. Even though it's an open edition, I rather like the sculp and the look of it and think I'll pick up one.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I picked one up locally on Craigslist...NIB, never displayed, for $110.

Thank you.

It was a good buy... seller was asking $130 and I offered $100, and we agreed at $110
But as the others have said, there are a lot the SS Gandalfs out there.
I think you will be able to land one in new or like-new condition for a similar price.

Good hunting!

I just picked up the Gandalf the White on Shadowfax piece. It should be here later next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing it up close.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote:I just picked up the Gandalf the White on Shadowfax piece. It should be here later next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing it up close.
Congrats. :cheers: he is a large piece and takes up a bit of space. Shadowfax is done rather well, but a few minor things with Gandalf. Check his waist area for cracks as he is prone to splitting there.

N2darkness wrote:
Buckeye wrote:I just picked up the Gandalf the White on Shadowfax piece. It should be here later next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing it up close.
Congrats. :cheers: he is a large piece and takes up a bit of space. Shadowfax is done rather well, but a few minor things with Gandalf. Check his waist area for cracks as he is prone to splitting there.
Thanks for the heads up, N2. I'll definitely give it a close inspection when I unbox it.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Return to “Sideshow Collectibles”