Advice to bring up the colour of SSW mini helmets

I recently got a bunch of old SSW mini helmets (my firsts) and was immediately impressed by their weight! Are these iron? They're surely metal.

Unfortunately, I was also a bit disappointed by their lack of colour... All in general, but especially the orc ones, look like they've rusted all the metal shininess away; the same with the Numenorean and Pippin's helmets. I know they're supposed to look old and worn, but this looks just too much for me.

While some may prefer them to look like they've been found like this, I'd like to have them given a 'museum look', with the pieces being treated and cared for while maintaining the original features.

This put, I'd like to ask if anyone knows or has been through the task of 'cleaning' these metal helmets, maybe polishing them, maybe repainting them? Any advice is more than welcome :)

Here are a few pics for reference. Note the almost absence of colour, even in direct sunlight (without direct lighting, they just look like a blob in all shades of grey...)

minihelmet2.jpeg
minihelmet3.jpeg
minihelmet4.jpeg
minihelmet5.jpeg
minihelmet6.jpeg

[Posted this where I thought it was more appropriate; if there's a better place in the forum for these topics, I'd kindly ask the mods to move the thread there]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Advice to bring up the colour of SSW mini helmets

Levidas wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:48 am
TMcLim wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 am Have you tried dusting them Leo? When I got my Numenorean helmet, and others I had to give them a really good dusting, a make-up brush works well.

I have indeed; the bases were full of dust too.
But now I was looking for some more lasting changes. I'll probably try using steel wool to polish out the rust.
That might work, or dry brushing with a silver paint.

Return to “Sideshow Collectibles”