TheKnighShop - Sword of Ibelin Knock Off or Legit Windlass

I'd been watching the The Knight Shop for about 3 years go in and out of stock of Windlass' Sword of Ibelin. Which I thought was odd since its long since been discontinued and the licensing expired. After emailing them and verifying (according to them) that it was an actual Windlass product I decided to take the gamble on one since the 2 I own were second hand items and not new.

I'm going to gloss over how poorly packaged it was, and jump straight to the fact that I immediately noticed that it is not marked as a Windlass product nor a Marto product. I could understand the lack of the Kingdom of Heaven COA and box art, however, it made no sense to me that this is probably the first Windlass sword that I have ever seen unmarked by the company.

I reached out to Museum Replicas Limited/ Windlass and after a handful of emails back and forth, they landed on if it is not marked on the blade then it is not made by windlass.

On the other hand, The Knight Shop has responded that Marto is their supplier and that the item is not marked as a Windlass product because the Kingdom of Heaven licensing has expired... Other than attempting to dodge royalties and licensing, that makes no sense to me, it would simply lack the Kingdom of Heaven content for that.

Aside from the wood dye being too dark and the leather too clean, I'd say it's almost spot on. However, the blade does not strike me as a Windass blade either as it is considerably wavy in proper light and to the touch. More so it has considerable "droop" when held horizontally. On the off chance this is a Windlass. It is by far one of the sloppiest offerings I've ever seen on their part.

So as it stands, I'm trying to figure out if this item has been produced by Windlass and lacks the proper markings to avoid copyright infringement/ trademark. Or is it the nicest counterfeit I've seen to date for this sword.
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: TheKnighShop - Sword of Ibelin Knock Off or Legit Windlass

I’ve purchased a lot of pieces from the Knight Shop. I believe them when they say their stock is genuine Windlass.

All of the windlass blades I own don’t have any identifying marks. I don’t know if this is a regional thing?

Sometimes swords like the Ibelin sword end up coming back due to an inventory of parts or left over stock. They can’t be marketed as the original items but they can still be sold on. I have King John’s sword from Robin Hood. It was sold as John’s sword but I recall Windlass releasing it has the “Pendragon sword” after the license had expired.

The droop in the blade you mention is a reported issue with this sword in particular and indeed many Windlass swords that have longer blades. It’s one of the reasons that I’ve held off on grabbing one. The droopiness feels awkward. It appears that the stock Windlass uses is too thin.

Every Windlass blade I own also has ripples and waves in the blade. It’s just a natural part of them being hand made but also being offered at the price they are sold at.

I wonder if QC was tighter when they were marketed as movie replicas and that’s why the two you own already have less defects? I do recall complaints about the droopiness at the time the replicas were originally released as well though.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: TheKnighShop - Sword of Ibelin Knock Off or Legit Windlass

JJByers wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:20 am Found out that they were being produced by Marto. Without the licensing. Unfortunately, after asking enough questions to enough places, windlass/marto has pulled them. So they are currently, once again, out of production. Official unofficial replica.
Here in Spain Marto( everybody knows that it is a spanish brand) there are a lot of online shops selling that swords, but with slight differences...they are named "Templar Sword", "The Sword of the Crusades" , "Crusader Sword".....and so on, and in the description text they sometimes mention the movie Kingdom of Heaven. I said nothing before because I´m not fully informed of these swords, but I took a look aorund and that´s what I found...

https://www.aceroymagia.com/espadas/esp ... of-heaven#

https://www.tienda-medieval.com/es/busq ... h&s=cielos

Apparently same sword in the preview, but listed as "Battle Ready but Non official" and it´s got a different handle in other pics...
Another online store...same sword as the last "Battle Ready" we see, but this time listed under the licence of Windlass...

https://www.espadasyartedetoledo.com/es ... -funcional
It´s a chaos...

Return to “Windlass”