CAS Hanwei

An update...

I know most of you are into United Cutlery and LOTR weapons. But a side note on CAS: Paul Chen (owner of Hanwei) has apparently bought out CAS Iberia, it is now called CAS Hanwei!

They have changed a lot in their lineup of swords...getting rid off some of the Spanish companies, but also adding quite a few more weapons (especially "high-end" samurai weapons)...including a roughly $3200 Tamahagne Katana!!!

If you're a katana fan or Hanwei fan, their new 2007 catalogue on their website is worth taking a look at!

As always,
Happy Sword Buying!
Last edited by Jash on Tue May 08, 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: CAS Hanwei

Well it's been a while now.
Just wondering if anyone is looking forward to any of these new blades?

Myself, i can't wait to see the finished products of:
The paper crane tamahagne katana - however, i don't like the "arts" motif they are using...
The oni katana with L6 steel - just looks cool
The tori katana - might pick one up next year
Mini Swords - especially the mini katanas, just don't know if i could justify $100 on a 1ft katana...lol.

But, it's really nice to see Hanwei raising the bar on production blades/katanas once again! In my opinion, they make the best katanas for under $2000.

Hi Samirai, and welcome to UCForums!

Looks like you had one fun afternoon there! That's something i've always wanted to do, grab a few katanas, some various cutting targets, and just go at it! Weird though, i'm surprised your Cold Steel fell apart so quick...i've never liked their katanas, but still, would e xp ect them to last longer than one cut!

Just for fun, how would you rank all the katanas you tried that day? Maybe in terms of cutting ability and then in terms of balance/feel? I've always liked the PC Bushido, but am leaning towards the Orchid as my all time favourite Hanwei blade.

Don't worry about the pics for the Bushido katana, Samirai - i've handled it quite often! Just a little update - i just bought myself a Christmas present. I was offered a good deal on a Paul Chen Kami katana! I have to admit, of the 4 "classic" folded katanas made by PC, it was probably my least favourite to begin with...but it slowly grew on me. And now that i have it, i appreciate all the work that went into it! And i can clearly see why this is PC's 2nd most e xp ensive katana! A happy addition to my colletion!

But still....the Orchid...one day! BTW - I also have the older Musashi katana and the LE Bamboo Snake katana - and highley recommend them to anyone interested! Not only is the Bamboo Snake the cheapest folded katana by PC, but so well balanced - very similar to the Orchid.

Cheers,
Jash
Last edited by Jash on Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Ted and thank you!
I finally had a day off work...so took quite a few pics - i hope they turned out alright. Now i'm just going to try to find the best way to add them to this forum.
And you are correct...the camera really does change the appearance of the red saya. Actually, i took pics with varying light sources to help demonstrate how it can change. But i agree with you 100%, that eventhough the bright red does not bother me either...a few shades darker would be more to my liking. And, same holds true for the Bamboo Snake...i was hoping the green saya would match the darker green tsuka-ito. But i'll change it one day...still wouldn't trust myself to relaquer these katanas...need to start off small! lol

Good job on the PC ninjato! Everytime i handle it at work...i still wonder why i haven't bought it...lol. A folded version is a very interesting idea - but i was thinking, there really aren't that many decent quality production ninjato's out there, are there? I can think of only 3 or 4 companies..with Hanwei being on top.
Out of curiosity Ted, what do you plan on customizing on the ninjato, if you don't mind me asking? I don't want to reuin any surprises!

Jash

Thanks Ted,
In fact...i just finished uploading 4 pics to my gallery:
photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1445
I hope they turned out alright...i put up pics in 4 different lighting conditions..and please do not hesitate if anyone wants any "specifics" pics of those katanas! :)
Unfortunetly..i could not take any pics outside...mainly because it is now winter in Canada...and pretty damn cold! lol

That sounds like a really neat idea Ted - turning an Orchid into the sword from the "Last Samurai". And if u like...i could send u a link to a Japanese website that makes full suits of Japanese armor..one of them being that same red suit from the movie! You know...a "little" addition to a custom Orchid display...

Good luck on your ninjato e xp eriment! And on a side note...for what it's worth, those "SFI snobs" is actually the main reason i haven't joined most other forums...i find UCForums to be one of the most welcoming and friendly forums that i have been lucky enough to stuble upon.

On another note - does anyone have any e xp erience with the Hanwei Dynasty Series Chinese swords? I've been eyeing the "Han" sword for a few years now...lol
Last edited by Jash on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Ted! I'm slowly trying to upload pics of my collection...very very slowly. But, unfortunetly, those are the only Hanwei blades i own. I do know what u mean though...i am also a big fan of Hanwei - espeically for me these sword being more for collecting than using. Don't get me wrong...i love training with katanas...just not going to use them besides form work... I think that Hanwei is one of the best companies at the moment to have a good balance between price, quality, and collectibility. Good luck working your way through buying their entire collection!

Oh...before i forget:
http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/L004.html
Is the "Last Samurai" inspired Japanese made armor! I definitely am going to get a suit made by these guys one day.... And they are not bad...their prices range from just under $2000USD to over $20000USD - This actually raises a good question. Why buy Hanwei Yori (Armor)?

Thanks Samirai!
The Kami is truely a piece of art! I know it has not been on the favourable side for most katana collectors - but it truely is one of those pieces that seems to have a story to tell - if you know what i mean...

LoL - what's next? Well, from Hanwei - i have a few swords on my list:
Orchid katana, Godfred Viking, Han Sword, and the Qi-Jian...
But i know I also want the "Liondog" from Bugei!! Oh man, that is one beautiful sword.
However, things might change...or at least be added to that list. On SFI i read that Hanwei has just come out with an Odachi!!! As well as having a Tachi or two in the works...*sob, too many toys, not enough money...lol. I'm in no rush, i tend to wait until there's a nice deal...

And how about you gentlemen? Which pieces are you drooling over at the moment?

Hhhmm...collecting just the folded katanas - that is a neat idea indeed! I also was thinking about doing that since i already have the Kami, and Bamboo, with the Orchid as a must...

I'm really interested to read some reviews on the Paper Crane...anyone have any idea if these are out yet? I've seen them on "pre-order" status but never "in stock".

And thanks Ted....lol....if you think Guthwine was reason to brag...
Just wait 'til i post pics of my latest purchase. I've wanted this thing for 12yrs (right when i started), was offered a "stupid not to buy" deal, and it arrived 2 weeks ago. But sorry...i'll have to keep you guys guessing ;)
Muwahahahah

Oh no!!!
That's too bad buddy. I know which swords you're talking about..and i've been wanting 2 for some time now as well. Just whenever i save up enough money - a different deal usually pops up of nowhere! lol
I always wanted the Connor sword with Bushido blade...and...and Duncan sword with Practical blade. *sigh..one day.

Well besides folded...in the Hanwei lineup i've really liked some of their high end forged blades. The only 2 i've handled are the Musashi and Shinto - opted for the Musashi mainly being a fan of the man himself...but the Shinto was an amazing sword to hold - light, quick, and just...wow!

[quote=""Jash""]Well there is now another folded to add to your growing Hanwei list...[/quote]

Very interesting new stuff!

I too was thinking about getting folded blades only, but I'm strictly gonna
stick with Japanese swords. 13 katanas in that collection, and so far I only
have 2. :(

Well it's a start, ed209 (by the way, I see you're a fan of Robocop?). I have a few blades from the collection that aren't folded and I do not regret it. But in the future I plan on only spending money on ones that are. It's good to see some fellow Hanwei collectors at these boards. I was under the assumption you were all strictly fantasy enthusiasts.
-_-

Well ed209 - the Hanwei Snake and Peach Monkey, i'd say, are no laughing matter if those are your "starting" katanas! lol In fact, what is your opinion of the Peach Monkey? It seemed interesting, but not enough for me to purchase...

Sedhal - i see u also have some nice Hanwei blades! How do you like the Tori? That was one of my favourite new Hanwei katanas... but have been hearing mixed reviews lately.

There are a few more Hanwei enthusiasts lurking around... For me, katanas have always been my first love - i was just sidetracked by LOTR....

[quote=""Sedhal""](by the way, I see you're a fan of Robocop?)[/quote]

You noticed well, friend, ED209 indeed is certain character from RoboCop!

[quote=""Jash""]Well ed209 - the Hanwei Snake and Peach Monkey, i'd say, are no laughing matter if those are your "starting" katanas! lol In fact, what is your opinion of the Peach Monkey? It seemed interesting, but not enough for me to purchase...[/quote]

Thanks, pal! Yes, Bamboo Snake was my first katana ever, followed by
Peach Monkey, followed (recently) by Tori Shinken. Although I really like all
three, these aren't my favorites (Tiger/Orchid/Crane are), but since I want
all thirteen Folded/Japanese/Chen blades (and these I have now were all
limited runs), I guess it was reasonable order of purchasing.

Peach Monkey is extremely similar to Bamboo Snake. Different fittings and
color of course, but these two I consider siblings. I know you have Snake,
so I don't need to go in details.

:thumbs_up

Indeed, Ed! No importance of which order you buy them in as long as you get the ones you want. In which case, you are doing the right thing buying the limiteds first. I'm debating whether the next on my list is the Kami once and for all, or the beloved Tiger (first Paul Chen I ever set eyes on).
-_-

Very, very true ed209! The limited's first are a smart way to go. Speaking of which...i wonder if Hanwei has another "limited" one in the works...??

Sedhal - that's a tough choice...Kami or Tiger... They're both really nice swords. I'm a bit biased to recommend the Kami, mainly because i prefer it over the Tiger. I guess it should come down to...whichever one you find on sale first. eh? lol

On a little bit of a sidetrack from katanas.... I just bought my next Hanwei sword this week - should be in middle of this coming week. Here's a clue - it's a Chinese sword... :)

Jash - thanks! I did the same with LotR line. Been getting Shards, Anduril, MC
Sting and MC Glamdring right away. Others were purchased in times of
relaxation.

Chinese sword... Probably Song?

Sedhal - Tiger. No question about it. Tiger. In the same package with Kami.

(Sorry for the double post)

So it was my birthday a few weeks ago - and just prior to that, a certain katana went on a really good sale price. Sooooo.....i bought myself a birthday present - a katana that i've wanted ever since i first laid eyes upon it almost a decade ago...

I now am the proud owner of the Hanwei Orchid Katana!!! :D
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Sedhal""]So now you don't need that Kami anymore right? Okay, fine. I won't decline your offer twice. Send it over. I'll PM you my address.[/quote]
Kami? What Kami? :huh:
[quote=""ed209""]Nice way to ruin my day, Jash. Thanks a lot. :angry: [/quote]
....said the guy that's getting the ultimate LOTR sword soon. Sorry bud, no sympathy...lol. But thank you for the indirect compliment! :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Return to “Other companies”