Gladiator!

I was wondering...
Since the Gladiator movie and weaponary are getting on the older side of movie collectables - it is becoming more difficult to find info on these pieces. I've been trying to do some research and could use some help / opinions! :)

If i remember correctly, the first offical Sword of Maximus was made by Windlass for Factory X - using a nice high carbon steel blade. However, this was discontinued around 2002-ish...and has become a rare sword to find. The other offical reproduction was then made by Marto, also boasting a high carbon steel blade. Does anyone know, have handled, or even better, own, one or both of these swords? I am just trying to figure out if there are any major differences between the two, and if so, which one is better....

I've always regretting missing the chance to buy the first run of Factory X "Gladiator" weaponary...being too young to afford the high prices at that time. I have always been trying to make up for it, since the Sword of Maximus is one of my all time favourite movie swords. I have found less than a handfull of these swords for sale internationally, but i need to know which one i'm buying, and which one is worth the high price tag.

On a side note - what do people think of the Helm of Maximus and the Sword of Tigris of Gaul?

Thanks!
Jash
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: Gladiator!

I felt the same way around 2004 when I missed out on a chance at getting one. I absolutely love the design and it just does NOT get enough screentime for its beauty :'( Then in 2005 I found one on ebay in Scotland and got it. I haven't handled the Marto one at all but I kind of want to. I'm eager to see what the differences are. Mine is OKAY - could be better. It's still gorgeous. But very poorly balanced and the handle is a pretty big complaint (plastic or something which tends to form hairline cracks around the pommel from probably too much stress - they were there when I received it and have gotten a little worse since). I had told myself someday I'll have a different grip made for it out of some better material and try to slap it on there. But to be honest the blade needs some work too. It would be great to find a suitible Roman blade this long and transfer the fittings onto it. I'd love a properly balanced version that's somewhat functional. One of my favorite movie swords next to Connor's katana.
-_-

I have both the Windlass Sword of Maximus and the Sword of Tigris of Gaul. They were both made by Windlass and marketed by Factory X under license by DreamWorks. The Sword of Maximus is nice, but the blade does leave me kind of flat, although I love that it is carbon steel. The scabbard was kind of cheaply done, with a simulated wood vinyl covering. Mine faded quite a bit during a period when I had the sword stored in the garage.

The Sword of Tigris of Gaul is one of my favorites in my collection, at least in the top ten. Probably my favorite thing is that the guard and pommel are made from big, solid chunks of brass. It is heavy for a short sword. If the blade broke in battle, you would certainly have no problem beating your opponent to death with the pommel. I actually got this sword when they first came out. I sold it a few years ago when my wife was griping about too many swords, and I kicked myself for several years after that. Last year, I found one on Ebay, bought it and kept it in my office at work, along with about 35 other swords she didn't know about. After divorcing her this past summer, I now have my ex-step daughter's old room and my study looking like rooms in a museum. OH YEAH! :crazy:
Last edited by Steel Servant on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Thanks guys!

@Sedhal - you listed 2 of my favorite movie replicas as well...so you know what i'm going through right about now. Congrats on having one of the orginal pieces! :)

@Steel - thanks for the info. Glad to see you're taking advantage of the situation. My philosophy right now - buy as much as i can while i'm still single!! :) Glad you like the Sword of Tigris of Gaul - whenever i find one for a decent price, i think i'll pick one up, there still seems to be a few websites selling it.

Sooooo...my question to you gents is this: What do you think the sword is worth, if you were to sell it? I found a retailer who has a Factory X sword of Maximus for sale...but after shipping, it will come to just under $500cdn. If i buy the sword and the Helm of Maximus, it will be just under $700cdn. These prices sound about right when comparing it to the original retail values....but in your opinions, do you feel these products are worth that much?

Sorry for putting people on the spot - i just hate spending money on a sword i can't handle...lol.

No, I don't. In looks and appearance? Yes. But as far as how it's balanced (and the grip I can't ignore) I don't think I'd spring that much on it (might as well have one custom made). However, would I sell it for that much? No. Not even twice that much. ;)
-_-

Jash,
I have to agree with Sedhal. Niether are worth that price. When I found my Tigris about a year and a half ago, I got it for under $100.00 USD. I, like Sedhal, would have a hard time parting with mine, but if I were in the market for buying either right now, I would not pay more than $100.00 USD for either, if that much. But that is part of collecting. There is the "market" value of a collectible, and then the value to an individual based on how badly he wants it in his collection, which may very well be quite a bit more than "market" value. It just depends on how bad you want it, and thus what you're willing to pay.

Good luck!
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Just wanted to say 'thank you' for your opinions! After much consideration, i decided not to go for it. I guess it was that boyhood love of something one couldn't obtain when the hype was high, and the need to finally have it when one has the means....which clouded my judgement. Don't get me wrong, i still would like to one day own the Sword of Maximus - but i have to put it into context of it's overall quality, in addition to what else is on my "wish list" lol. One day... :)

That being said....let the "Gladiator" conversation continue!
I wish that Factory X continued this line though...i mean, only 3 pieces from such a hit movie?? If i remember correctly, Maximus had a total of at least 3 different swords during the movie... And ooohh...i would have loved to see the Tigris Helm!!!!

Jash,

Just a quick FYI. There is a person in my area (Dallas, TX. area) that has an authentic Factory X (Windlass) Maximus sword listed on CraigsList. Here is the link:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/clt/1490984683.html

Not sure if it would be worth contacting them. Sounds like you've put that want on the back burner. Just want to let you know that I ran across it.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's a shame. It takes so little effort to ship something. I check on CraigsList occasionally just to see what local people may be trying to get rid of. In this economy, many people are parting with some great collectibles due to the need for cash. It's a shame, but true. There are so few true collectible sword efficianatos that I've seen some nice finds listed for over a month without any bites. They are often too high as well. I've seen asking prices over $100 for cheap swords worth $15.

[quote=""Steel Servant""]In this economy, many people are parting with some great collectibles due to the need for cash.[/quote]
How true - i just picked up 2 Marto swords from "Alexander". The Ceremonial Dress Sword for $50usd, and the Darius Sword (for my brother's Christmas present) for $50usd. And today, a Highlander Methos sword with his etched signature for $150usd. It's soooo hard not to buy anything when companies are doing major blow-out sales.... :crazy:

Well after keeping an eye open for the Tigris sword for years now, my options were limited, since every listing is actually "out of stock".
Legendary Heroes has them in stock...but...um...let's not go there (for those of you that followed my one year story with this company in another thread...lol).
Most ebay dealings did not ship to Canada.
BUT - last night i bought one off ebay! My very first ebay purchase = a sword, who woulda thunk, right? lol.
I managed to get a "NIB" Tigris Sword for $99 plus $38 shipping...i'm content with that price - i was just worried, in case MRL does not reproduce this sword (since i know the sales on the Tigris sword were very sub-par)...

Windlass (MR) through Factory X the first time.

Yet again Marto shows how their attention for detail sucks (no groove in Max's pommel), and that functionality isn't a consideration. However, ivory grip??

I wonder of MR's Max sword will have a plastic grip medallion this time around... I suppose if the whole handle is plastic it doesn't really factor in.
-_-

I remeber back when I first started collecting swords, Marto was "Oh...Aaahhhhh", one of the top names. But, they've always stuck to stainless steel, and with a premium price....for stainless. Back then, hardly anyone was doing real functional carbon steel (No, no.....I'm not trying to start up that whole debate again). They had a sister company, Martespa, that put out many great display swords, but not as elaborate. Thay certainly have lost much of their clout since functional, or "battle ready" carbon steel swords have become popular.

I have one Marto sword, it was my 4th sword I ever got and was back before I knew a lot about swords and collecting and at the time "Excalibur" was my holy grail of swords and Marto was a name I heard over and over and over back then and the Marto one was the one my parents bought for me one Christmas. I don't regret getting it, but its kind of gotten demoted on the prominent display position it once had.

Well...i have 4 Marto pieces myself, including Excalibur...lol. To be fair, 10 to 15 years ago, there wasn't much choice, and yes, the "made in Spain" swords were some of the best on the market at a reasonable price at that time. Windlass was out, but very poor design and quality. Hanwei was just making a big name for themselves as well... Wow, a lot has changed in the last 5 to 10 years...now there's, sometimes, too much choice. Which also has made everything cheaper than back then! :)

I'm not too sure about these Marto swords. They could be old stock from Marto as their license e xp ires. OR they could be re-released to coincide with MRL's / Windlass's release of Conan and Gladiator...? Either way, i'm wondering why anyone would buy the Marto versions for the crazy prices they're asking for, compared to the Windlass ones...?!?

[quote=""RevAnakin""]By all means I'm not dissing your martos because I myself was trying to buy one 5 years ago. My point was just like your last point, why would anyone now buy marto over windlass.[/quote]

LoL - sorry, i didn't mean to sound defensive. In fact, i didn't take your statement to be an attack at all! I was just "thinking out loud" so to speak, in regards to just how much the sword collecting market has changed... For example, if it wasn't for Windlass upping their game over the last 5 years...the Marto version at twice the price, would be THE BEST Maximus sword on the current market...thank you Windlass :thumbs_up

Return to “Other companies”