Greek Swords

I am fortunate enough to have friends that encourage my weapons collecting! A good friend of mine gave me a $50 gift certificate to a Canadian sword retailer. This store price matches US sites for only Windlass products - so with the current excellent exchange rate, i am trying to choose a Windlass sword to add to my collection. The fact that i am going back to school in a couple of months means i need to use this coupon before i leave. Soooo......

I have always wanted these 2 Greek swords from Windlass:
1) Spartan Lakonia
http://www.windlass.com/p-162-spartan-lakonia.aspx
and
2) Falcata
http://www.windlass.com/p-198-falcata.aspx

I am undecided. And open to opinions of any sort. Any ideas anyone? :thumbs_up
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: Greek Swords

:thumbs_up noo jash.
your oputunity between plake and colera.is no opsion in my opinion ,if you are abel to scatch 50 bucks more ,plees go for somthing else. :huh:

first time i think i have to disegre ,whit sed,the falcon,will only be a disapoinment,compare to to the khuks you allready have.

go for a spartan sword .(but not the one ,you showed (uohggh ugly)

if you can not get the spare money,maby you shuold try,and go for some assosiates instade ,scabberts -belts maby, to your already existing swords.duel them a littel.an oputunity.think about it.

like to here what you came up whit. :thumbs_up

lol
Firstly: Well, i've always wanted a Falcata in my collection, and have been eyeing the one by Del Tin over the last year...this one by Windlass is very, very similar, easier to sharpen, and comes with a sheath... am.dk - you are correct, it won't come close to some of my kukhris...but, the falcata was a major player in sword history.... The Spartan sword, i agree, isn't the most beautiful sword out there. But, being a Classics Major, i found it really interesting to see ONE company finally make a historically accurate Spartan short sword....and i have great respect for the Spartan military culture. Hence my dilemma....lol.

Secondly: Well gents, assume you would pick something else. This retailer carries most of the Windlass line of arms and armour - that being the case, what would YOU pick? ;)

yep ,this is a funny oputunity :D .but i do not agry whit the spartan sword,from windlas is supouse to be the most acuate spartan sword.

sorry but i am not convinest,abut this swords history.:huh :( windlass version)

now about the falcata ,it is the best opotunity, if it is your only chouce.then go fore it .
now i do find this so more interresting,because of the shape ,of the blade ,tjek out my pictuers of my khuk.

whould it be interresting to put a falcata handel on this mutafuk blade. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Jash""]Thanks all for the suggestions. And............................
Falcata it is!!! :D
I'm just waiting for them to get back in stock...so should be getting one early March.

On a side note. For those interested in Greek style blades: Windlass just released a "Greek Kopis":
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1159-greek-kopis.aspx
What do you guys think??[/quote]
I think that I'm not much of a sword scholar. This sword reminds me of ed's beloved Machaera with half the style and beauty and of course, no finger ring incorporated in it.
That said, I think it's a nice piece but I can't appreciate it the way I would had I never seen the Machaera.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Sedhal""]Try 1/1,000,000,000th. :thumbs_up [/quote]
mmmmmmmmm okay, one billionth.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]I think that I'm not much of a sword scholar. This sword reminds me of ed's beloved Machaera with half the style and beauty and of course, no finger ring incorporated in it.
That said, I think it's a nice piece but I can't appreciate it the way I would had I never seen the Machaera.[/quote]
Good eye! ed's Machaera was influenced by ancient Greek swords - the kopis and machaira. But you're correct - there's noooo comparison! One's a regular production sub $200 "replica"; while the other's a hand made, one of a kind, inspired piece of art! But, i think it's promising to see Windlass trying ancient swords again. They rarely seem to get them quite right (compared to their other lines), but the sword world needs more replicas from this time period... I mean, i need more swords to add to my wish list!!! :crazy: lol

Return to “Other companies”