Jose de Braga Masamune

This is the never before released Jose de Braga Masamune katana. It is the idealized version of the original Highlander movie sword. Mounted on a differentially hardened T10 blade with custom made fittings. The pin is solid brass and is through the blade.

I thought you all might like to see it.

Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Re: Jose de Braga Masamune

Not a big fan of katanas, especially not katanas with handles like that. That's my personal taste though. Did you make it by the way?
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Actually this is a completely new design by Jose based on the first movie sword. He refined the details a bit, but kept the pin as that was a feature in the first movie.

We do have a new sculpt of the H3/Master Katana design on the site, which is exclusive to ZA. But I will not post any links or anything like that. You'll just have to find out on your own!
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1

Personally I think that's much more appealing than the usual painted-on "weathering" you'd see. Makes it feel more like the real thing than a prop merely faking that effect, knawmean? That's why I asked if it was a H3 tsuka. That one looked very polished compared to the H1. But this one has the H1 tsuba. It's like the best of both worlds. Caaaaan't afford that right now though (and probably not for a long time). :|
-_-

[quote=""Curunir""]I adore that sword, but the handle looks all wrong to me. It's just solid white. Was it like that in the film?[/quote]

In the original film, there was no weathering done to the tsuka to bring out the details. It did get weathered naturally, from use and it did start to yellow. However this weathering is a far cry from what people are able to do now a days. It wasn't until the second movie did they decide to bring out the carvings by weathering it artificially and in the process they removed the brass pin.

Here is a pic of the original prop for reference:

[quote=""Shinsei""]Have you seen the Alpha project? The teaser shots are on the site already. It's going to be an extremely limited edition of only 5 pieces ever.

That is also a Jose de Braga sculpt and it's exclusive to ZA.[/quote]

Yes, yes i did! But "carved by Jose de Braga" + "limited to 5 pieces" = $$$ lol
But really cool to see the exclusive stuff your site offers! Can't wait for more pics and info on the 2 "Limited Editions"
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Yeah the limited edition stuff is going to cost a bit more than the regular stuff, but they are going to be very rare. So you are getting a Jose de Braga piece without the regular price. It will be reasonable.

A custom Jose handle can run a couple of thousand, and that's just the handle. We are going to try to keep the limited edition runs so low as to maintain a level of exclusivity without the financial commitment that would be required for a one of a kind piece. I'm sure you understand.

Fully understood Shinsei. You get what you pay for. And after countless times checking out ZA website - it seems more like a good group of people wanting to spread their love of swords more than a money making business...lol. And being a Highlander fan myself...thank you and ZA for bringing great Highlander replicas and designs to the public eye!

Well that's what we are. Just sword fans trying to do this for other fans. How long did we have to wait for a 'functional' version of the movie sword? The movie came out in the 80's and it took all this time and if they had their way, we'd still be waiting.

So us fans got together and compared notes, factoids, designs, construction methods, etc. We teamed up with Jose to come up with similar but different designs as to avoid 'lawyer' interference and now here we are.

Finally there is that 'functional' sword that we all wanted. And we will always try to keep them as affordable as we can.

[quote=""Shinsei""]So us fans got together and compared notes, factoids, designs, construction methods, etc. We teamed up with Jose to come up with similar but different designs as to avoid 'lawyer' interference and now here we are.[/quote]
So does that mean none of the swords at ZA are exact replicas? That's cool - since i like the "idealized" versions as well...but if that's the case - just how "different" are the ZA offerings to the actual props?

They are NOT exact replicas. The closest we have to an exact replica is the Mentor, and even it is off from the original. No one is allowed to sell an exact replica of the movie swords. Not even Davis/Panzer is doing it. And anyone who is selling fully assembled swords from the original props is doing so under their own risk and could face prosecution by Davis/Panzer.
We have spoken with their lawyers and have taken the necessary steps to differentiate our swords from their movie swords. We market our swords as 'Jose de Braga' swords because that is what they are. They are not Highlander swords. They may be Jose's 'idealized' versions of those swords, but as an artist, Jose does not like to copy other peoples work, nor does he like to make the same thing over and over again. So he makes them his own. That's why he chose us to do these swords. He does his version, and we recreate it for you.
It's a symbiotic relationship.

Thanks Shinsei! Good to know.
I had 2 more questions - and apologize if they've been asked before.

1) What's the story on the "Renagade katana"?
2) Besides the "Alpha" and "Aquila", can you give us insights as to what designs may be next?

I really like the "Alpha" and hope it's within my price range when it's ready...but wouldn't want to purchase one if there's something i like more coming out - you know?
Thanks!

[quote=""Jash""]Thanks Shinsei! Good to know.
I had 2 more questions - and apologize if they've been asked before.

1) What's the story on the "Renagade katana"?
2) Besides the "Alpha" and "Aquila", can you give us insights as to what designs may be next?

I really like the "Alpha" and hope it's within my price range when it's ready...but wouldn't want to purchase one if there's something i like more coming out - you know?
Thanks![/quote]

The Renegade is going to be the 'Idealized' version of the second movie sword by Jose. From the preliminary models I've seen, it's going to be really nice but not as detailed as the Master Katana©. Of course Jose could surprise us all and make it the best of them all.

As the Alpha is in the design of a wolf, the Aquila is in the design of an eagle. I can't say much more than that. You will just have to wait and see.

The Apocalypse Line is awesome. The Elijah Blade is wicked. There will be more to see on that line in the coming months. I'd keep watching.

Well, i've been spending a lot of time drooling over the ZA website. I think i finally know which swords to add to my "Wish List". The Masamune is my favourite version of Connor's Katana. AND, i also really like the Dark Master!
That's 2 more on my list....man, that list keeps on growing...lol

Can't wait to see what else ZA comes out with!

Return to “Other companies”