Jose de Braga Katana

Just to clear up things:

This is the new Master Katana© from Zeist Armories. It is designed by Jose de Braga exclusively for Zeist Armories as the ultimate ideal of the third movie sword.

This particular sword is built on a T10, differentially hardened steel blade as well as custom fittings by our own artisan Mike De La Vega. Unlike most swords like these, we have perfected a way of casting that eliminated the casting lines. So it looks more like a Jose de Braga custom sword without the custom price.

Details can be found at our website.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by Shinsei on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Re: Jose de Braga Katana

Ok, so I'm a total n00b on this topic, but I do love the Highlander movies (well, the first one at least.) I know that the props always get lost, stolen, or go 'mysteriously' missing from sequel to sequel, and that's why there's different versions of Connor's katana (hence the H1, H2, and H3 appelations.) Am I right? Is each subsequent version of this sword always recreated from screenshots because the original always goes missing or something? And what exactly are the differences between H1, H2, and H3? Is there an H4 version for Endgame? Would H1 be considered the 'true' Connor katana? How many versions of the Duncan katana are there? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
This Space for Rent

I'm pretty sure the original (which I consider the true version) is still around but it (or one of them?) was broken during the final quickening scene when Connor drops it. You can see the head fly off as it hits the ground. :|

The H2 sword was supposed to reflect more age and weathering since it takes place in the future (although it's funny how it aged more there than it did in 400+ years in the previous film). The tsuba was also redesigned for some reason.

I'm sure someone else will answer your questions more definitively. To be honest I get a huge headache when I think past H1 because I simply don't get some of the changes with the tsuba/adding a fuchi/etc, although I do understand the removal of the brass pin (screw) at the neck of the tsuka. But still. The H1 tsuba will always be best to me.

They said it best in the film. There can be only one!
-_-

Well the first movie sword wound up in a private collection. It was built off of a Marto Ivory Katana, did not have a head, and the director wanted something that would show more detail on screen. The prop guy built the head on the sword itself. It was not cast as one piece. That's why the head fell off on the final Quickening scene.

The second movie sword is different from the first in that it had a different head and scales, did not have the brass pin/screw from the first movie, did have a different tsuba and the details were brought out in the relief areas by 'weathering' the handle.

The third movie sword was designed by Jose de Braga by request of the director. It was done off a prop of the second sword. Jose wanted a more traditional Japanese-type sword in that he added the fuchi. His made the carvings deeper and changed the head and scales. I have a story by Jose of his involvement in making the swords of Highlander III that I helped him with. If you all would like to see it, you can send me an email and I will send you a copy. It has some behind the scenes stuff, talks about pranks the actors did, it's a really cool story.

The Endgame sword is just the off the shelf Marto Connor sword. Nothing special.
Last edited by Shinsei on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1

If you all would like to see it, you can send me an email and I will send you a copy. It has some behind the scenes stuff, talks about pranks the actors did, it's a really cool story.
Oh yes please! That would be awesome! Thanks in advance, Shinsei. You have my email already.

*booyah*
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

And the number of the counting, shall be three.

[quote=""Valkrist""]How many versions of the Duncan katana are there? Inquiring minds want to know. ;) [/quote]

Oh yeah, the Duncan katana. There are several versions. There is the original prop made by Sal 'd Aguila from Point Gallery (the Musashi). It was used during season one and through part of season 2. And the Marto Sword of the Dragon, which was used from season two on. There was an attempt to remake Duncan's sword which failed miserably (the Official Sword of Duncan). Then there's the United Cutlery version, which is a semi-functional version of the Marto. It has a cast a aluminum tsuba and nothing to hold the blade in the tsuka (no pin), as well as a 1045 blade which is bare minimum to say that it's a 'functional' sword. As well as a bunch of Taiwanese fakes. And to be honest, some of those are really nice.

But I digress.

So there you go.

Awesome. I love learning this sort of stuff about props from movies and shows that I watched and enjoyed. Funny how something that appears simple on the surface (it's just a prop) can have such a complicated and colourful history. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge, Shinsei. :thumbs_up

I know there's a similar story about the differences between the two versions of Conan's Atlantean sword (something that Sed alluded to once,) but I'm not sure you guys make that particular prop. The Albion one does look like the definitive version though.
This Space for Rent

No we don't make the Atlantean. Albion's version is the best. Before Jody Samson died he helped them out with it. I don't know if you can get a better e xp ert on the prop than from the guy who designed it.

But wasn't the difference between the two just the length of the handle and the wrapping?

I know that I still would love to own the Discerner. That sword is one of my all time favorites.

The length of the grip, the wrapping, the finish on the fittings, and the dimensions of the blade were different also. The prongs were angled farther apart on the sides of the blade to make it a bit wider. It seems like a slightly exaggerated version of the original. But it's still subtle where I think it works. I just prefer the finish and grip on the original.

Just looked for some comparison pics but it's hard now that they don't make them anymore, they don't have the pictures up :(
-_-

Any reasons given for the changes in the Atlantean prop from movie to movie?

I wonder, with Hollywood's current obsession with remakes, if they will go there with the original Highlander, and if they will at least bring back Connor's katana with the same look as the original, or if they will reimagine that as well? The same goes for Conan, but with that remake already filming, I'm sure we won't be seeing a return of the Atlantean or the Father Sword, at least not the versions we remember. :|
This Space for Rent

They won't. There's already the fact that they're remaking it in the first place. That means whoever's doing it has no creativity (along with the rest of Hollywood right now, excluding Chris Nolan :D ).

Guarantee the Conan sword to be crud too. Already saw a few clips from it. They're so obviously aluminum props and have no character. I e xp ect more stuff like that... sigh.

The thing that annoys me is that most of my peers haven't even seen Highlander. And now when they remake it I'll have to specify which one I'm talking about if they even acknowledge there is another version. It's bad enough we have the sequels and TV shows (no offense to anyone who likes them but we can agree they're nowhere close to H1). But at least the sequels and TV shows aren't... remakes. I shudder at the thought of that word. But yeah I bore you guys enough with that rant...

But no Val I'm not sure why they changed it. I know John Milius got the Father's sword (or one of them) after the shoot so if he got the Atlantean it would e xp ain why they needed a new one (since he didn't return to direct maybe he wouldn't cough it up) but... Arnold has the Atlantean these days I believe. So I'm not sure. Good question though. It's kind of like the Batmobile in the first four Batman movies. Even though it's a little harder to e xp lain how the sword went through a metamorphosis after-the-fact than doing some work on a car.
Last edited by Sedhal on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

I'm cool with remakes. For all we know, the conan remake will be awesome. Although it is likely it will be just another blockbuster, following the tracks of avatar, clash of the titans, etc. Also, if the remake sucks, we've got the old ones anyway =D.

When it comes to the highlander movies, I've never seen them. Scots running around with katanas just seem kinda weird to me. We do have the first two though, so I might take the time seeing them, if you guys say that they are as good as they are =P

Oh and on the Atlantean swords, are you talking albion version VS marto version?
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

No we're talking original props versus original props. Conan the Barbarian versus Conan the Destroyer. But since Albion's are the most accurate replicas, I was seeking some of their photos to show the comparisons between the two Atlanteans.

I can tell you right now the Conan movie won't be awesome. Clash of the Titans was one of the best movies you could have pre-compared it to. It's going to have awful pacing, underwhelming writing, no heart, no atmosphere, and a score that doesn't measure up one one-millionth to the original's. <--- Based on what I've seen time and time again with Hollywood's current state, you can bet your sweet behind they're going to fall flat on the score. They always fall flat on the score. And like I said. If it won't be better in every way possible, don't do it. So they'd damn well better top Basil's soundtrack and I highly highly doubt that will happen. Not gonna say it's impossible... just as close as you can get.

Of course, if the movie is worthy I'd love for them to use his score and 'remaster' it a bit. However, I don't want the score in a P.O.S. film, so... :|

On the bright side, Momoa (sp?) looks like a book-accurate Conan. And the biggest thing this has going for it so far is Stephen Lang as the villain. But I'm not counting on it being decent.

Anyway back to Highlander. The only Scot you see with a katana is Connor but he mainly uses it in the modern-day sequences. Well, unless you count Ramirez but it makes sense that he has it. You'll see.

But just watch the first one. DO NOT watch the second. It's awful. It doesn't work well with the first at all. As they say, There Can Be Only One. :thumbs_up
-_-

I agree. Don't watch the second movie unless you have a taste for cheese. The original Highlander was a stand alone classic. And like it was said in the post above me, the score was amazing in this movie as well. It really set a tone that the following movies could not match.

I really do doubt that any remakes could surpass the originals. There is a reason they are classics. And some things should not be touched.

I'll see if I can get to watch it some time today or tomorrow.

About the conan movie, is it just a simple remake of the original, or another story? If it's the old story of conan being a slave, breaking free, and kick tulas's ass in the end, I'd be extremely disappointed, no matter how good the remake is. I mean, there's a hundred stories to choose from. When we finally get a new conan film, I wanna see one of the other stories.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Well here's the thing...

They said it was going to be a film closer to the book rather than a remake of the first movie (which was not entirely book accurate but so what). Thulsa is not the villain. Khalar Zym is apparently. Which is weird because the character is supposed to be named Khalar Singh I'm pretty sure. But anyway...

Yeah the general story is going to be the parents-die-revenge-thing I do believe. An origin story. Bleh. There are PLENTY of Conan tales to tell yet they (like JJ Abrams & Star Trek) keep working backwards and retreading old ground.

Whatever.

And yeah Shinsei, the Highlander score is amazing. I love Michael Kamen's work in Highlander and Prince of Thieves. Whenever I talk about Highlander's soundtrack and how much I like it, people assume I'm referring to Queen or something. Queen is good and great and all (and Highlander is probably the only reason I like them), but it's sort of a travesty that Kamen's score is so overpowered by Queen and underecognized due to the contemporary music. Oh well.
-_-

I have a CD with the original scores from Highlander 1, 2 & 3. When I have time to myself, I like to lay down with that CD on and fall asleep. Usually by the third song I'm out and dreaming of far away places and high adventure. It's awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Queen stuff as well. But when I want to get that feeling I had when I first watched the movie years ago, it has to be Michael Kamen's music.

I think I'm going to put the CD on now.

Apologies for the lateness in my contribution - i've been out of the country for the past month. But found some of my saved pics....hope they help in this conversation!

CONAN:

Pic 1 - 'Destroyer' top, 'Atlantean' bottom
Pic 2 - 'Destroyer' left, 'Atlantean' right

3rd pic - My "Destroyer", interesting what Albion decided to do. I was told that, even with the "Destroyer" sword, they went for the more 'antiqued' look on the fittings - and left it up to the owner to make it as 'new-looking' as they want. I was lucky. I have the dimensions and leather grip of the Destroyer, and the colouration and aged look of the Atlantean!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

HIGHLANDER Duncan Katana:

Pics 1 & 2 - The 2 Duncan katanas
Pic 3 - The new United Cutlery versions of both Connor's and Duncan's katanas

Hope that helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shinsei, I'm looking at your website here...what's the difference between the Masamune and the Master Katana? Which one is the best replica of the Highlander Katana? (Highlander 1, of course). Do you make one similar to the Duncan Katana?

Sorry about all the seemingly dumb questions, I'm a complete n00b (yes, even more than Val) on the subject of Highlander swords and asian swords/katanas in general.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Oh yeahhhhh.
The "Sword of Duncan" - found some more pics:
http://scatcat.fhsu.edu/~bkburton/sword ... uncan.html
Sorry Sed - i forgot about it. I treat it like "Highlander 2"....it never happened ;)
If i remember correctly (but a bit rusty, so please correct me if i'm wrong), Adrian Paul never used this version, right? It was made for him after Season 1 - but he preferred Marto's "Sword of the Dragon" instead?

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Shinsei, I'm looking at your website here...what's the difference between the Masamune and the Master Katana? Which one is the best replica of the Highlander Katana? (Highlander 1, of course). Do you make one similar to the Duncan Katana?

Sorry about all the seemingly dumb questions, I'm a complete n00b (yes, even more than Val) on the subject of Highlander swords and asian swords/katanas in general.[/quote]

No stupid questions, don't worry about it.

The main difference between the two is the Masamune is the idealized version of the first movie sword. The detail has refined a bit but overall Jose tried to remain as true to original as he felt he could. It doesn't have a fuchi but it keeps the brass pin.

The Master Katana© is Jose's ultimate idealized version of his third movie sword. It is deeply detailed, even more so than his original version and the one he did for Albion. It moves the brass pin to more of a traditional location and adds a fuchi, which Jose felt was sorely missing. I can tell you from e xp erience, the deep carvings of the Master Katana© create a very positive grip when used for cutting.

We don't make the Duncan katana as Sal is doing a great job with that design and recreating the Marto isn't something that we want to do right now.

Yeah the 'Official' sword of Duncan was a flop. Adrian liked that Sal's Muashi and the Marto had a head that acted like a pommel. They were comfortable to grip and easy to maneuver. The 'Official' sword was more torpedo shaped and Adrian didn't like it at all. It's a nice design overall but it needs to be redone.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Shinsei, I'm looking at your website here...what's the difference between the Masamune and the Master Katana? Which one is the best replica of the Highlander Katana? (Highlander 1, of course). Do you make one similar to the Duncan Katana?

Sorry about all the seemingly dumb questions, I'm a complete n00b (yes, even more than Val) on the subject of Highlander swords and asian swords/katanas in general.[/quote]

Here's a visual to help you out.

Return to “Other companies”