Best Katana?

Okay...So I'm drifting into a completely new field, and unfortunately I've paid little to no attention to info in the past...

So what I need from you fine gents is some opinions about where I can get the best katana blade. I say best, but what I mean is "battle-ready" and affordable. I'm fully aware that the best katana I could buy would be handmade and cost thousands.

Any tips? Any of United's worth buying...?

Re: Best Katana?

I can also recommend a Chinese vendor called Hua Wei Swords.

I have a unokubi style katana from them in T-10 steel, and it is a fabulous blade for a great price. They are enjoying quite a buzz on some internet forums lately, due to their high quality blades, first rate customer service and willingness to customize.

Google the name and you should find their Australian based website on ebay without much difficulty. They have some off-the-shelf models available immediately, but their custom service really shines. Email them what you want and they should be able to accomodate you well.

Good luck. :)
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

And the number of the counting, shall be three.

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]Okay...So I'm drifting into a completely new field, and unfortunately I've paid little to no attention to info in the past...

So what I need from you fine gents is some opinions about where I can get the best katana blade. I say best, but what I mean is "battle-ready" and affordable. I'm fully aware that the best katana I could buy would be handmade and cost thousands.

Any tips? Any of United's worth buying...?[/quote]

Funny you should mention this, GW. I have been looking at purchasing my first Katana as well, and have been looking at United Cutlery's "Black Series". The Shikyo Katana (UC2585) in particular.

Why are these not recommended? :huh:
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

The United Black katana are made with a 1045 steel that is through hardened. The 1045 steel is bare minimum steel required for a sword to be considered functional, with 1065 being better, 1095/T10 steel being among the best for production swords.

I prefer the differential tempering due to the natural hamon it produces and also because it is more traditional.

As stated before, Hanwei does have decent swords for the price. And if you are looking for a good deal on Hanwei swords, Kult Of Athena has great prices. I have bought swords from there and right now you can get some pre-owned swords at a great bargain. Right now there is a Hanwei Practical Plus for $150 preowned, normal price is over $220. Lots of other great deals on all sorts of swords as well. It'd be worth your time to check them out.
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Agreed ^ Especially on Kult of Athena. I've ordered from them many times in the past and they're really good (and they do have the best prices you'll find on Hanwei products).

Also, I wouldn't trust UC's katana. They just look bad. Spend some time studying aesthetics of a high-end reproduction and you'll eventually be able to tell from looks alone whether it's worth your time. A good looking katana doesn't mean it's good but being more informed will determine what looks good in the first place.
Last edited by Sedhal on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
-_-

I've ordered from KOA several times and have always been satisfied.

Basically, while I love wall-hangers, I'm looking for something a little more functional. While I'd love to have a traditional Knight's-style sword, I think a katana would suit me better. I spent last night browsing a few sites for Hanwei and I think once I have the money they're the company I'll be going with.

I have to admit though, the UC ones are tempting simply due to low price. I feel like if I got a UC one it'd be a junker to just mess around with, while a Hanwei would be one to take care of.

Yeah but there are more options out there that would cost the same. I can understand brand loyalty, but there's a point when you just have to say it's about more than just a name.

Munetoshi has some good 'beater' katana. They aren't very traditional, being through hardened, but they are tough swords. We have them on our site for $99. They also make a T10 cutter that is a great value for your money as well. I have one and I use it all the time. An awesome deal.

Musashi makes decent 'beater' swords as well.

The Shikyo runs about what $149-$179 right?

Okay for that price, I'd go with:

The pre owned PPK on Kult of Athena. Very good deal on a great sword. I have one and I love it. At $150 it's a great bargain (I'd get it myself, but I'm saving up for a new rifle).

Or a Kris Cutlery Kambun Katana, also on KOA for $174. It might not be that pretty, but they're damn tough swords.

The Munetoshi T10 cutter for $170 on our site (preferred, but admittedly, I'm a little biased).

Like I said, lots of options.
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1

I definitely will. It likely won't be for a while, but I figure I'll start with a cheaper sword, and eventually get something -really- nice down the line. At the moment I'm still working the college student job, though, so not much money to go to fun things.

Yeah I hear that college thing tends to drain the funds. I didn't get to go to college. It was into the Army right after graduation and now I'm working as a civilian for the Army overhauling helicopters. Interesting work, if you can get it.

But don't sweat it brother, you have to start somewhere. I began my katana journey with a $20 katana-type thing from Bud K. And now I have a one of a kind Highlander katana made by my friends at ZA on a custom blade. There are no rewards that you don't earn, and you're doing things the right way.

Good luck! :thumbs_up

Those are nice, but if you want a high end Paul Chen why not just get a Bugei blade? At least they have better quality control.

But have you all heard of Martial Art Swords? I think I may get one someday. They are L6 Bainite blades like the famous Howard Clark swords without the $3800 price tag for the blade only.

Well...the Kami is just cool...lol. I mean, if you're a collector, i'd say Kami due to all the additional pluses that it comes with. If you want something tougher and are into cutting - Bugei...

MAS has some great blades - i have never handled one, but i've only read positive reviews on them. The problem, however, is at that price range - there are lots of other options....lol.

Guardian - i agree - the Practical Plus is a great blade. I almost bought one myself..but decided to save the $$$ and put it towards a higher end sword...lol. But the store i used to work at sold Hanwei's - and i never had a single customer complain on the Practical Plus - it's an all around great sword. However - if you're just collecting - a lot depends on what you like...and what you want in a sword. Folded Steel? Differentially Tempered? Colours? Certian tsuba (hand guard)...etc?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]After all, who only owns -one- sword, right? :P [/quote]
I do! Wait......no, sorry, my bad.

The only reason i asked - is that if you're willing to drop slightly in quality - you have such companies as Ryumon, Mashairo, and Bushido (just a few examples) that are producing folded steel blades in the $300ish price range....with really nice saya (scabbard) and fittings... Great pieces, but not as well made and traditional as the Hanwei's...

That being said - if you want just the best QUALITY sword....my vote's still in for Hanwei in the sub $300 range. Actually..check out Hanwei's "Raptor Series"...you get a few differnet designs - haven't played with one yet, but all the reviews i've seen have been positive...

Sub $300 range I could get:

A Shoubu Zukuri Raptor (I like the blade design)
or Chenness Kaze Katana
or Hanwei Practical Pro (Which is close to the top of my want list, this sword is awesome. Handled it recently at the mall.)
or Munetoshi Kigan Katana (I really like this manufacturer).
or better yet get a Dark Master katana from Zeist Armories (shameless plug, I know, but I love that sword!)

or better yet get a Dark Master katana from Zeist Armories (shameless plug, I know, but I love that sword!)
are you just fooling around here shinsei?

nise to have you back here jash :thumbs_up

i am wondering ,did you ever get the hanwai,gothfred viking sword?
maby the dark damascus version :|

eny hint maby?

[quote=""am.dk""]are you just fooling around here shinsei?

eny hint maby?[/quote]

Jose is re-carving the Dark Master for us. Going to enhance some details and the plan it for it to have a fuchi. If you know Jose's work you know it's going to be awesome!

We are currently not taking any custom orders though. Too many orders for the Elijah Blade. Everything is on hold until we clear up our order queue.

But in the meantime...I want a Practical Pro.

[quote=""Shinsei""]Sub $300 range I could get:
...or better yet get a Dark Master katana from Zeist Armories[/quote]
Whooaaaa - the Dark Master is sub $300???? :D

[quote=""am.dk""]
eny hint maby?[/quote]
Good to see you too am! Yeah, i've been "off and on" UCF - busy with life, as i'm sure you can relate...lol. Yes i did! My mom bought it for me not too long ago as a "going away" present! It's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

[quote=""Shinsei""]Jose is re-carving the Dark Master for us. Going to enhance some details and the plan it for it to have a fuchi. If you know Jose's work you know it's going to be awesome![/quote]
Good to know - since i do want a Dark Master!

[quote=""Jash""]Whooaaaa - the Dark Master is sub $300???? :D

Good to see you too am! Yeah, i've been "off and on" UCF - busy with life, as i'm sure you can relate...lol. Yes i did! My mom bought it for me not too long ago as a "going away" present! It's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Good to know - since i do want a Dark Master![/quote]

Sorry I just saw this. No the DM isn't sub $300 but base price is only $399. Not that much more. I guess I got a little excited. My bad.

The Hanwei Raptors are tough to beat, the fitting are much better than in other sword in their price range real asme, and suade ito. They are through hardened and ment for the "backyard" cutter who doesnt have mats and things to cut. They are for heavy cutting and can take a beating. And they are waaaay more forgiving on bad cuts, especially cuts that would make other blades take a set. I own two of them, and as soon as i hit my 25 posts, one or both of them will most likely go up for sale or trade ( i have other swordly interests at this time.) But i would highly recommend them. Then Practical line by Hanwei are aweome swords but until yuo get into the plus and pro series all Pracitcals have the same fake ray skin , even the Special light all the way up to the Elite and XL's and XL' Lights. But being differential hardened they will bend and stay that way if you do not know what your doing. I always suggest a through harderned blade for beginners.
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.
The Man In Black fled across the desert, and The Gunslinger followed.

Return to “Other companies”