Darksword Armory (LotR)

Hi, all. I'm looking for more knowledgeable opinions than my own regarding this company. I asked this in one of the other threads (New Acq. I think), but I wanted to formally ask here.

I ran across this company in a WETA thread, and have been reading all the reviews I can about their Anduril replica.

http://darksword-armory.com/products-pa ... uril-1309/

They also make one with Damascus steel, which looks quite nice, but is too varied from the film for my taste (and price).

http://darksword-armory.com/products-pa ... ries-1603/

They also have Strider's Ranger sword and their version of Sting, the former of which is also in the Damascus steel.

I guess they've gone through many upgrades since their initial runs, and most seem positive now. I think the sword is quite beautiful, and am drawn to it because of it being the only carbon steel version outside of WETA.

Granted, I really wish it had the engraving in the pommel, but otherwise I think it looks very well put together. More informed opinions than mine are plentiful, though, which is why I'm asking what you might have heard, and your opinions on this sword.

I've been in contact with them a few times, and they can do a $50 deposit to hold one and pay off in installments if necessary. They don't have any now, but said that the end of January would likely be the availability date.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Re: Darksword Armory (LotR)

If it were me, I would steer clear of Darksword. Their swords are made from the right materials, true, but that becomes moot when the balance is as bad as the UC replicas. From what I've read, having a decently-balanced Darksword piece is the exception, rather than the rule.

Also, from an accuracy standpoint, I'm not sure they even put effort in. These aren't even in the league of Fable Blades' pieces that are "LotR-inspired," as they look visually much closer to those terrible knockoffs from the Middle-East. That morbidly chunky crossguard on Anduril, the anemic pommel on Strider's sword, the bulbous blade on Sting, all of them give me a headache!

I apologize for the negativity, but Darksword has been a blemish on the sword industry for several years now with their poorly-done plagiarism of not only film swords but of swords designed by private makers.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Oh, please say exactly as you see fit. I trust your opinion, as I've seen your work, and your comments on many threads.

I totally agree with Sting's bulbous look to the blade. I'm much happier with my MC edition, not even having seen the other up close. What is clunky, though, about the crossguard? I only ask from a non-e xp ert inquiry. I wouldn't even notice the balance-point, since I have no e xp erience using swords at all, so I'd likely not have caught that. Should it be balanced at the crossguard then? Sorry, I teach history, but this is a hand's-on knowledge I'm sorely lacking.

I'm reading and trying to sort out the posts online, because it seems when they first came out in 1996 things were very bad. But more recent reviews have been given a pretty good thumbs up. I've seen mention of improvements to Anduril, but not many details.

Again, me <--sword noob as a buyer (I'm just hung up on swords needing to be "real" and not stainless. I suppose that's the historian in me creepin' up on my choices lol)
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

I am a member of another forum at myarmoury.com. The are numerous threads regarding the weight and balance(or lack there of) as well as blatant plagiarizing of custom smiths. I would check it out there, more than enough info for you to make your own educated decision on whether to purchase one or not. Hope this helps.

The most beautiful swords ever made are the ones from Weta but also the most e xp ensive cause they are full handmade no question about that and those swords are for people who really can afford them.

On the other hand i am glad with the company of United Cutlery cause they make also beautiful swords and those prices are reasonable enough for the regular collector but i do hope they will do something about the QC cause it's not the same anymore like in the old days.

Not even close Fin. Fable's are custom, one of a kind work of art...that usually cost 2 to 3 times the price of a Darksword lol. Darksword is more of a small sword company who's been trying to put a dent in the sword market for some time now. Granted, from what i've seen, they've gotten better over the years - there's still a lot of mixed feelings and negativity as stated by Jamanticus...
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Return to “Other companies”