LotR Posters

I'm seeking some more of all your expert advice, please, gentlemen. I've always been in love with the imagery of the Argonath, and I'd love to pick up one of the original posters, but I have no idea how to tell an original from a repro print. I've searched online for some time, trying to find some data, such as font style, color, something--but nada.

Do you guys know?

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Re: LotR Posters

Posters are always hard, but a couple things I always check are size (27x40) and if its double sided. Most original posters are printed with the reverse image on the back side so they don't look washed out in lightboxes at the movie theatre. After that it's up to finding a reputable seller.

I have purchased many posters over the years. I always add DS or 2S to my searches to try and narrow them down to double sided only.

Check this out:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html

Legion wrote:I'm seeking some more of all your expert advice, please, gentlemen. I've always been in love with the imagery of the Argonath, and I'd love to pick up one of the original posters, but I have no idea how to tell an original from a repro print. I've searched online for some time, trying to find some data, such as font style, color, something--but nada.

Do you guys know?

Cheers,

Guy
Someone posted this on Craigslist in the Phoenix area about 3 weeks ago:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/clt/5238727674.html

The Argonath poster is listed along with quite a few other LOTR movie posters (all double sided)
He has a lot of movie posters and the LOTR ones are NOT $20, (as listed at the top of the ad) so don't start hyper-ventilating...the LOTR ones start at $100.
If they are still available and you want to buy them, I can pick them up and send them to you.
I have a number of "sturdy mailing tubes" so you won't have to pay for those...just what it costs to send them to you.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

So sorry it took until the end of the week to get back to you. Do you think that's the normal going price for original posters? I tried searching for some kind of guide to the posters themselves, but found nothing. In other words, how would one tell a first/early run poster from a version that was just printed last year? Is there a text color difference, image sharpness, overall color, or some other kind of tell?

From collecting screen-used BSG props for a while now, I've grown extra careful to verify these attributes There's a guy locally that has a couple posters too, and they look older, but again I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I know you all are really big on spotting details on LotR items, and figured this has probably been asked before, but I can't find a thread.

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Return to “Other companies”