Re: Asmus Toys 1:6 Gandalf the Grey

I've seen other figures from this company online but nothing in real life.
They've all struck me as pretty screen accurate.
I've wondered why they never caught on either here or on other LOTR forums, and decided it must be the [real]clothes factor.
The statues are basically static "doll" displays, and maybe guys (i.e.males, especially young males) wouldn't want that kind of object in their collections.

Even so, cool as they are, they would be a lot more difficult to keep clean than a solid polystone statue , unless you kept them in a glass cabinet like N2 and Val do (or in their boxes :laugh: )

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to these figures but I personally think most of them look awful.

I remember some representative from the company posting on some other forum saying they were setting out to produce better figures than the ones sideshow did back when LOTR was first released.

But I don't think they have done better, and if you compare it to the modern figures that sideshow and hot toys both produce they look light years behind in quality.

Eowyn looks like their worst figure. The face sculpt is awful and the hair is cheap Barbie doll hair.

I've always thought that because the skin tones were so off they looked like the zombified versions of the characters. That being said, their villains are somewhat cool looking. I think the Mouth of Sauron on his horse looks pretty cool.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Can't recall if I ever saw the Eowyn statue. If it's as bad as you describe, maybe I didn't.
Seems to me I saw one of Boromir, which I thought was good .
It HAS to be better than the current "toothy" Weta one :-p , altho' I did and still do like the premium format maquette version (which, I think, is the one Buckeye just landed), the one where he is holding the flag .

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Other companies”