Guthwine?!?!?!?

No...not really.

But an amusing attempt.

I picked up a "Horse Master Sword" that is obviously crafted after Guthwine. A)Because I want Guthwine so badly I'm willing to settle for low quality, and B)Because $20 is worth the risk.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised as this isn't such a horrid piece. Will I hang it beside my UC swords, no. But it's still a really cool piece to own.

However, being a $20 piece, it's very imperfect. Here are the only noticable problems. Most of these are inaccuracies to the real sword, but that's to be e xp ected.

-The coloration of the hilt is no where near the actual sword. The hilt on this 'knock-off' is silver. Mild problem, but I'm considering painting it goldish anyways. For $20 I'm not too concerned with screwing it up.

-The actual detail is incredibly vague on both the hilt and pommel. The pictures more or less will show that. The detail is very...smooth. I'd e xp ect UC to make a far cleaner design.

-The blade is extremely wide. A little annoying. It is also -sharp-. The blade doesn't fit the rest of the sword very well and is obviously not very stable. The blade's design in general is obviously different than the actual sword.

-The whole sword is a bit shorter than the probable design.

There are some other differences and faults, but for $20 it can be overlooked. If you feel like picking this up, PM me and I'll let you know which site sells them (if this violates forums rules just let me know.) The site says straight out that they're unlicensed and has even cheaper pieces with minor faults. So check out the pictures. I recommend this piece to anyone waiting for Guthwine. It might hold you over until UC comes to its senses and listens to the -customers-. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Guthwine?!?!?!?

Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, they openly admit they're unlicensed. And for $20, I won't lose any sleep if it falls apart any moment. And further point, I've seen this same sword for $80. So for $20, I figure, what the hell. Guthwine may never get made. Or at least, this will be a place holder until they do.

i must say ,yhat i can not agry more whit thunder here .
why guadian, why are you spending money on craby swords.
if you realy want guntwine so mustch,why dont you save some money for it.
be pation.
try to contact a swordsmith, and request for this sword.before you contact eny swordsmith make sure that he nows it has to be a high quality full funktionel sword.
send him picture and meshures of the sword you whold like him to make for you.it will be a one of a ciend sword,if he is abel to make it.
but you have to save up atleast 1000 $ if you whant a real hand made gunthwine sword.

Okay...I'm satisfied with my $20 purchase. It is exactly what I e xp ected it to be.

Guthwine may never be released, but to be honest I'd rather have an officially made one with the proper specs and details than have someone make one.

And $20 vs. $1000 is a very big difference to a college student.

So for now I have a cheap place holder in hopes of being able to get the real one when it comes out.

Just thought you folks would be mildly amused if not interested in this 'knock-off' that some have shown interest in getting.

I'm glad you posted your review as I am considering getting the knockoff until a licensed one is available, if ever. The Rohan side of my LOTR room will never look complete until a UC Guthwine is on the wall next to Herugrim and Eowyn's sword. I'd even consider an NC sword at this point.

Thank you for understanding. For $20, I'd say it's worth the buy. I currently have -most- of my UC swords packed up. I've recently gotten a trophy case of sorts that I'm going to hang most of them in. I'm considering placing "Guthwine" in there simply because I love the Rohan blades so much that I want to display them. I certainly don't regret the purchase and say it's worth it.

Hey GuardianWolf,
As a fellow student, i totally understand the sword collecting sacrifices that some of us must make! lol For I too am guilty of buying a few "knockoffs" only because i couldn't get a genuine product or i could just not afford a better made blade (not LOTR though...).
But...good job on the Guthwine! For $20, how could you possibly go wrong?! Out of curiosity, did it come with a "fake" Rohan plaque as well? lol

Oi...tired...been moving the whole room around for the sake of my sword obsession...My room looks like a construction site with the painting/patch jobs/furniture. The only difference are the numerous boxes (which I've found very useful when I need to store my swords again).

ANYWAYS. All that the sword came with was a sheath which was faulty anyways. But no. I'm thinking about picking up a universal sword plaque, though I have a feeling the wide blade might be beyond even that.

I may just get some screws and cover them in some thick rubber or something instead...I want to hang it beside the Rohan swords in anticipation of the -real- Guthwine...::crosses fingers::

And yes, being a student and having a hobby such as this can be bad. If I didn't live at school, I'd be in trouble, as I really can't afford to have a car what with the $1600 or so of swords and memoribilia. But hey, life is for enjoyment. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices so you can enjoy the ride. :thumbs_up

sorry but actuly thought you was, realy seriuse abut the guthwine sword :| .
first of all why bye a crab 20 $ ugly sword,that has no use fore ore eny value at all.i now a handmade sword is verry e xp ensive,but i rather save up some money for a prober sword .

second of all i doubt that uc is abel to make a guthwine,that is better than a handmade custom guthwine,made by a profesionel swordsmith.
uc just dont have enuf skilled swordsmith to compeat,they did try thoug whit the manufactered trubbelt mc glamdring.

i can only hope that uc is puling ther sences together and make a real high quality funktionel mc-guthwine ,after the bad reputasion they got on the mc-glamdring.

i now that money is a big isue when being a collecter,i always chuse werry carefully,before going into eny items for my collection.

I just received the fake today....

Guardianwolf, your review is very accurate. I only disagree about the length of the piece. I e xp ect the original to be somewhwere in the neighborhood of 36".

A few other things I might add....
  • The grip is a very dark shade of brown (it was hard to tell in the pics). Compared to other knock-offs, it's attached to the hilt very nicely. I've seen some grips that were much more loose.
  • As you can see in the pics, there is no ring in the mid-grip. I think I've seen other fake Guthwinës that do have the ring.
  • It's heavy!
  • I'm not sure how it's put together. I suspected a rat-tail threaded to the pommel, but it's being stubborn. They may have put glue in the threads to avoid a crooked pommel. (EDIT: Confirmed! -just needed some elbow grease.)
Is it great? Nah. Is it worth $20? Sure!
Last edited by Urambo Tauro on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I meant to post that (though it didn't seem many people were interested) the blade is in fact longer overall. I was basing that on the information I was given about it. Now I have all three Rohan swords together, and it can clearly be seen that the "Guthwine" is longer.

It's also much heavier than the information I was given.

But like you said. $20? Why not? It's not that much money and it's amusing to have because it doesn't look incredibly horrible next to the official swords.

But I still want a real Guthwine......

Damn UC and their non-listening to customers...

Glad you like the sword, though. Makes me feel less crazy.

Well, I wouldn't scratch it off their list entirely.

The only reason that they are holding off is because the first two didn't sell as well as they had hoped. I suppose that it is entirely possible that should sales pick up, that they may in fact produce it. The other option is to turn it into a limited edition... which would complete the set for those collectors.

It has been fairly quiet for a while now, so its hard to say what exactly their plan is, aside from what Kit told us on his last visit.
Valar morghulis

I think Guthwine has a fairly good chance of being made -someday-.

Looking at it logically, it seems that most fans want the sword, as do folks like Kit Rae himself (people involved in the actual making of the sword). And, to be fair, there really aren't -that- many more swords in LOTR that would sell very well. They're going to be stretching pretty far if they don't hit the big ones like Guthwine.

I still have hope. And Mr. Rae gives me plenty more by coming by every now and then to give us info and his hopes of one day releasing Guthwine.

Return to “Reviews & Articles”