Harry Potter Wands

So, after recently reading the books, I've become at least a mild fan of the Harry Potter franchise. However, I'm a big enough fan that I decided to take a look at what the Noble Collection had created for the franchise. Of course, the equivalent of swords in Harry Potter are wands. And the Noble Collection has quite a few replicas of wands. However, before I decided to pick one up, I wanted to read a review on them. Unfortunately this proved to be almost impossible. No one seems to have reviewed them. And I decided that, should I buy one, as soon as I picked one up, I'd review it here for anyone who would be looking for what I needed. So here it is.

Sirius Black's Wand

I'm more or less a fan of the franchise. The books don't wow me, but the plot and premise are enough to interest me. The characters are hit or miss as well for me, but in this case, Sirius is my favorite character. That being said, the wand itself is also my favorite of the replicas because of the ornate design to it. So, without too much of an idea of what I'd be getting I placed my order.

Cost:
As any collector or replicas knows, cost is a big factor. Maybe it doesn't decide whether we buy something or not (because I know I'm not the only person here who has gone into debt from a shiny replica) but it's always a factor if our bank accounts drop into the red. You can buy the wands in probably a dozen stores online, but the best place to buy a Noble Collection item is from the Noble Collection. The wand's are -all- $29.50. After standard shipping, this resulted me ina $36 bill. In the collecting world, that's sometimes what the shipping on its own would cost. That being said, this is almost a nominal fee. So being cheap, you'd think you'd be getting a cheep, low quality item. This would be a great mistake to assume. 10/10

Packaging:
Most folks are probably wondering why I'd be including the packaging in a review of the replica. Well, here's the e xp lanation. Unlike United Cutlery, the boxes items from the Noble Collection come in are nothing but cardboard boxes. However, the items themselves have packaging that are usually quite as nice as the replicas themselves. For example, I also own the Crown of Elessar. It comes in a beautiful 'glass' case with wooden base. Also, the Ring of Barahir (and other jewelry) come in nice wooden ring boxes. Sirius' wand comes in a box straight out of Diagon Alley. The box, much like one would e xp ect a box from Olivander's to be, it simple, but perfect. It carries the small Olivander style logo on either end with a stylized covering on the top of the box and a fairly bland bottom section. Within the box, there is a thin fabric strip (forgive my ignorance of what it is -actually- called) that extends from either end to cover the velvet portion underneath. The velvet part encases the wand itself quite nicely. 9/10

The Wand:
Now, the actual replica, which is of course the entire purpose of purchasing it, right? Well the wand is made of plastic. However, the only reason I know this is from product descriptions I've read online. The only way I know it's not wood in owning it is the actual weight of the wand. If you take my meaning in saying this, in just looking at the wand, it looks like wood. Even on close inspection it looks like wood. The grain of the wand is so perfect in its randomness that you cannot tell by sight that it is mass produced. Sirius' wand specifically has carvings along the full length including runes. These look remarkable in that they almost look as if they were hand chiseled into the wand. And the runes and carvings are so beautifully ornate on their own that it was these that first caused me to pick this specific wand. If it were made of wood, it would definetly be much more e xp ensive, and lighter. But it would look almost identical to this one. 9.9/10

Overall:
If you're a fan of the series at all, you should look into picking up at least one of these wands. I, a mild fan, am still planning to pick up another wand (Lupin's) and will definetly review that one as well here. For the low price, amazing amount of detail, and 'cool factor' I'd say that if you're looking to collect something, these wands are a far cheaper alternative to LOTR swords, but you don't lose any of the quality. 10/10

If anyone here owns one of these wands, please let me know what you think of them. If you don't, I hope this review was helpful.

Re: Harry Potter Wands

I have been a fan of the films for a while now and a fan of the books since I read them in January. I have started collecting the wands and they are excellent. My favourite is Voldemort's followed by Mad-eye Moody's. I have posted a few pictures of them before:

photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4061/cat/ ... 99/way/asc

I haven't posted any of the newer ones like McGonagall's or Moody's and there are still a few that I really want to get.

With regards to the look and such, they look like wood, don't necesserily feel like wood but they don't feel plasticy. The only irritation to me is the Noble collection stamp on them. Some of them are OK, black on a dark wood is fine but they spoiled the Snape wand with a Gold stamp on a black wand!

If you want to collect, I suggest you go ahead. Try and get the Tri-Wizard set with Harry's, Cedric's, Fleur's and Krum's wands. They look excellent on the display and the case keeps them in very good condition.

The boxes they come in are very good, keep them in very good condition. They are made to simulate the wand boxes from Olivanders but thet are not exact replicas of his style of box. You could quite easily display them in their boxes as they do look good in them.

Well, as usual, personal opinion is really what counts. I love them and think they are a good collector's item. Hope you can get some and enjoy them too.

I have thought about picking up some of the wands but I haven't because I am trying to avoid paying shipping. If I happen to come across one in a shop, then I might very well pick one up now... especially after 2 great reviews.

Nice pictures too!
Valar morghulis

This weekend, I'll have to take pictures of mine as well. Just received Lupin's wand in the other day, and I'm still impressed with the line.

Though I do have to agree with you, White Rider, the NC stamp is a bit annoying. However, it's pretty much the same as the UC stamps. If you position the wand (at least the ones I have...) in the box in the right way, the stamp isn't even remotely noticable.

I considered getting Moody's, and (I'm hoping) with the next film they'll have a few more. I'm hoping for a James Potter wand, just for the sake of having Moony, Padfoot -and- Prongs...But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

Review of Lupin's wand, as well as pictures, this weekend.

Return to “Reviews & Articles”