Re: scabbards

Scabbards look nice, however, $400 for it being made of plastic seems a bit over priced to me. I do agree with you and hope UC will consider making a couple more scabbards for the LOTR line (although I believe Kit Rae recently posted that they were pricey to produce, and not very popular). Nice to see that you have been able to make your own though, Rick. I wouldn't mind trying to do some leather working myself. Couple scabbards and belts to go along with my favorite swords. Anyways, thanks for sharing the link.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

I'm going to join the majority here and throw my agreement in with the comments already made. I think it's a crying shame that UC will never bless us with such beautiful scabbards as Hadhafang's and the Elven Warrior Sword's. For that fact alone I want to commend this guy on not only doing an outstanding job of reproducing these replicas, but on also being kind enough to make his work available to any others willing to own it. That being said, I think the price is a bit too high for something made of plastic, as has been pointed out.

While I realize that he likely doesn't have the facilities and materials that would allow UC to mass manufacture and thus charge much less for a similar product, I still think that $400 is too much. If they were made from wood and leather, and given that they are individually crafted, I would seriously consider dropping that amount for one, but for plastic, I think $200 or less would be more appropriate.

Again, not to cast aspersions on what is obviously a labour of love and not easily accomplished, but I think the price should be lower. Just my opinion. :)

I have to agree with everything said here as well. I don't believe I'd ever find the time to create my own and if I did, they probably wouldn't look nearly as good as what this man has done. True skill here. I've been looking around for scabbards for both Hadhafang and Elven Warrior Sword and have had no luck. I've been saying for the longest time that the scabbards complete the swords so I'm right there with you Rick. However, this whole plastic thing is silly. As soon as I read they were plastic the first thing I thought of was my old Donald Duck sword and scabbard from Disney on ice that I got when I was a kid, LOL. But all jokes aside, talented works of art but too pricey. I can't fathom spending more for a plastic scabbard than I did for the actual sword.

Haha... funny you mention it... I DO! And its actually not in bad shape at all. Here are some pics.

The bidding will start at $400 for the scabbard. lol!

This one is just for fun... I couldn't resist!

I now remember that I had another one with a silver handle... that one I mangled up pretty good as a kid chopping at small twigs and branches.
Last edited by Balrog Obliterator on Sat May 31, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Reproductions: Museum Collection Glamdring #374/1000, Blue & White Glamdring Scabbards, 2 Mini Glamdrings, Museum Collection Sting #2041/3000, Sting Scabbard, Mini Witchking Sword, House of Flying Daggers Sword of Jin & Leo, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword (Cup Hilt),

Japanese Blades:
Naginata (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Saya) 2 Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Sayas) 1 Katana (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Folded Steel & Wood Saya) 2 Shirasaya Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Heat Tempered 1045 high carbon steel, Wood Sayas)

Return to “Reviews & Articles”