Highlander swords

I am interested in buying one or both of the katanas that UC have made for Highlander. my dealer wont be getting them back into the end of july so that gives me time to save up for one of them.

I'd just like to ask if you thought they were worth it and has anyone got any reviews?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: Highlander swords

Greetings!

I work for Zeist Armories and we have done a review of the UC Highlander swords. As I do work for a company that sells UC swords I will only state facts and not opinions.

The UC swords are made with 1045 steel that is through tempered with an etched hamon. However one must be careful in attempting to use these swords for cutting. The blade is not pinned to the handle. In fact, the only thing holding the blade in is a notch in the blade that grips the 'resin' material in the tsuka. This material has the consistency of drywall and crumbles easy to the touch. If you don't plan on using your sword for anything more than occasional water bottle or pool noodle cutting, you should be okay. Still, you must still be aware of this issue as it can result in the blade shooting out of the tsuka if you aren't careful.

The scabbard for the Connor sword is very ornate and the Duncan scabbard is just a plain leather scabbard. Nothing too fancy with the Duncan.

There are Damascus editions of the swords out now, with folded steel blades. I am not sure if they addressed the construction issue with the new blades, but I would still be wary of it.

Hope this has helped. If you need anything feel free to email me direct, ben@zeistarmories.com
Blessed be the Lord, my strength, that teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Re: Highlander swords

Well, it also depends on your price point...
There are the complete knock-off katanas for under $100. These new ones by United Cutlery are a great representation of the sword for the price - with decent quality materials and accuracy to the film props. However, these are more than $100...lol. After the United katanas, i believe the next price point would be the swords from Zeist. These are using much better quality materials and are more accurate, but also more money (roughly twice the price of the United swords). Then you have the ones from Point Gallery, but now starting off at $1000. Finally, if you can still find any, are the ones by Albion, but now well over $1000 lol. I know that was a little rushed - but hope it helped in some way... I guess it boils down to how much of a Highlander fan you are, as well as how much you're willing to spend on a katana... Myself, i've always wanted one from Point Gallery, and lately, a couple from Zeist... :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Return to “Reviews & Articles”