BudK

Hey guys. Not sure if this is in the right spot but I suppose since I'm looking for feedback I'll ask here. :thumbs_up

Anyone ever ordered from BudK? I see some really good prices on some things I want, but they're so good that I'm wondering whether it's legit or not. If anyone could chime in, I'd much appreciate it.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: BudK

When United Cutlery filed for bankruptcy protection a couple of years ago, BudK was the company that bought them out and reorganized their assets. I'd say that's a pretty good bet that they are legit. ;)
This Space for Rent

I know, I just keep praying that Hadhafang and Eoywen's sword will work their way down that price direction! I really like the look of Isildur's sword but I cannot justify finding room for another sword that doesn't truly affect the story line. I didn't even see Isildur's sword in the film, what did it have .67 seconds of screen time?

I've ordered quite allot from BudK. I've never had any complaints. Good prices and quick shipping. Their customer service people could use some people skills training, but other than that they are a good company.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Steel Servant""]Their customer service people could use some people skills training, but other than that they are a good company.[/quote]

Well, it is wholesale, so it's like trying to get great customer service at Sams Club or Costco! :)

I think I'll get Isildur's sword from BudK. I like the sword but its always e xp ensive. Its not worth it for a sword that didn't even get screen time, but for $100 I'll take it. Gonna buy Boromir's sword first though.

I've bought most of my collection from BudK, due to deals they offered on quantity buying, membership discount, etc.
They actually sent me a freebie with one of my orders, it's simply called Samurai sword, but I have to say I'm really wondering if it's just a wall hanger; I've flexed this blade to what I figured had to be an extreme and it pops right back (I was thinking, "For free, who cares if it actually gets bent, but...
[and here we go]

"NOOOOOO!" (Thanks George, you can go back to your padded room now).

All kidding aside you have no worries with dealing with BudK. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I don't know why, but I LOVE BOROMIR'S SWORD![/quote]

Oh man, $100 for Boromir's sword???? That's a great price!

A couple of years ago I paid about $160 for it.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Depends on the items... wholesale pricing is based on the MSRP... and back in the heyday, the MSRP for LOTR swords was around US $350 a piece, but most online retailers were selling them for A LOT less, so the markup on most full size LOTR swords was like 30-40 dollars at a lot of online retailers.

Most people weren't charging full MSRP, unless it was a local sword shop.

Heck even on ebay, the resale value of most items arent even fetching MSRP

I don't think I've ever paid half of MSRP for a sword. The most e xp ensive UC LotR items I've bought were my Gondorian Shield and my Elendil Helm, those were $250 I think. After that it would be Gimli's Helm and High Elven Warrior Helm, both of which were $140.

I bought all my LOTR weapons online and the most I paid for a weapon (including shipping) was $165 (Boromir's sword) and the least was $98 (Gimli's Walking Axe)

Average e xp ense per weapon was about $145

All were NIB and I dealt with about 6 different retailers, never had any problems.

I started before I had a computer so info was basically unavailable. I bought my first sword at a dealer in a local mall and paid a fortune MSRP. Fortunately that transaction got me on a mailing list unbeknownst to me. Then a BudK catalog showed up in my mail box.

I kicked myself in the butt for a while when I found out what I was overpaying, but in the long run I don't regret my overall e xp enditures.
I'm still above average on a per piece price but again, I'm not a MSSC buyer either.

I came to this forum to find out what my sanity level was :|
It only took a few hours to realize I was VERY mentally stable :thumbs_up
Sir Tristan's collection was all I needed to see to realize I'm a total lightweight,

and then there's Mr. ed :rolleye:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Most e xp ensive item I bought lotr is Gimli's helm $170. Other than that, I got stride, boromir, and legolas for under $105. Herugrim for $80, battle axe for $60, and stride knife, scabbard, and sting for $50. Budk is great for us budget shoppers.

You got Strider's Elven Knife for under $100!?? New???
That is totally incredible. :O

Ummm...like when was that (what year?) and was it from BudK?

When UC went bankrupt and before it was bought by BudK, the UC collection got dirt-clearance sale-cheap. If you had the spare money you could have probably raked up the whole collection. When UC went bankrupt and before BudK bought them, the prices went dirt-clearance sale -cheap. The opposite of what collectors would want to happen... the prices went DOWN when they were OOP and then came back UP when they started being made again.

As a collector that owns the pieces, if you are worried about resale value, you would want the resale value to go UP when things go OOP.

For those prices, I'm thinking of picking up Boromirs and Isildur's swords. The MC Sam is reasonable too, but I want some of the others to come down in price a bit more. Rev, I don't see Eowyn's sword there...?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well Thrand, if you were comparing yourself to Tristan and Ed, you probably seemed quite normal and well organized!

Which mall did you buy swords at? Just curious.[/quote]
It was in Great Lakes Crossing. The store went belly up like so many in Michigan :(

And yeah, some comparisons just can't be made, however I do hope to come close to N2D's dungeon display "coolness", but even then my collection itself pales. :|

And speaking of displays, I have one almost ready to debut (hopefully within a month). :)

Ah, Great Lakes Crossing. Very big mall, but plagued by the same misfortunes as the rest of this state I'm afraid. :(

Can't wait to see you display! Knowing you it will be worthwhile. :thumbs_up

So when did UC go bankrupt? Was it like 05 or 06? Because when I started collecting UC (2007 ish?) the prices were around $130-$180 a sword usually. But I wasn't exactly the greatest bargain hunter at that time period, being a 6th or 7th grader at the time.

I bought my Legolas Daggers for $95 including shipping on ebay in 08 brand new. The Strider Knife and Sting were bought together used with plaque and COA on here a couple years ago, perfect condition though. It hasn't been until recently that the Strider knife craze went into full swing.

It was late '06, but it only lasted a few months until the BudK owner bought it, then it took them several months to move everything to Georgia. The prices dropped because the bank started blowing inventory out the door as fast as possible for those few months in '06.
KRDS

Great to hear from you again Kit. It is nice to have such insider information that Kit brings to the forum.

Kit, any new talk around UC about possible renewed interest in producing LOTR collectibles again when "The Hobbit" is relesed?
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

I don't know if I was exactly an insider, since I did not work there at the time it all went down, but I know from the people who were there what was going on. I had a vested interest since they were the distributor of my line! It was a sad thing to see, considering we all saw what was happening about a year in advance, but were powerless to do anything.

An official release will be coming from United, but they have the license for the weapons and arms replicas for the two Hobbit films. My company will be doing the replica and product development work with UC, so basically the same setup as last time. I'm not sure where LOTR stands, but UC currently still holds the old license. I assume that will be renewed, since WB has decided LOTR licenses can exist with the Hobbit licenses.

I am currently working with UC and Weta on the new items. I can't say much, but there are MANY new weapons.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Oh Jesus, I'm totally going to have nowhere to put all this. But by all means, produce away! I'll buy most of it anyway. :thumbs_up

It's good to finally hear some good news regarding the world of Middle Earth sword collecting! Thanks for the info, Kit.

Don't worry, it won't be quite as ambitious as the LOTR line, but it won't just be 2-3 items either.

On another subject, I have to say, having seen a bit more of Thorin, there is nothing remotely Klingon about him. That initial photo just had a certain lighting and look on Richard's face that made him appear that way, but trust me, when you see him in the film, you won't have that impression.
KRDS

This is exciting news. New weapons!

Uh oh. I already have two rooms in the house full. I've tried to keep everything in those two rooms so that the whole house doesn't look like an armory. It's strange....when visitors come over that I do show the rooms to.....they never seem to come back. Well, I guess its going to be all over the house now. :crazy:

That's good, I am glad it wasn't written in the script, "And then when Bilbo opened the door, four more dwarves came falling through his doorway. One of them, very noble he was, looked very irritated because he had been crushed by a large fat one. When this noble dwarf stood back up, it looked as if he was still very angry because his forehead was extremely scrunched, like some sort of alien.

[quote=""Steel Servant""]This is exciting news. New weapons!

Uh oh. I already have two rooms in the house full. I've tried to keep everything in those two rooms so that the whole house doesn't look like an armory. It's strange....when visitors come over that I do show the rooms to.....they never seem to come back. Well, I guess its going to be all over the house now. :crazy: [/quote]

If they don't come back they are not real friends! :coolsmile You were just too cool for them to handle.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]If they don't come back they are not real friends! :coolsmile You were just too cool for them to handle.[/quote]

He's too sharp for them to handle! Get it? You see what I did there? That was a total knee slapper!

:P

[quote=""Fingolfin""]He's too sharp for them to handle! Get it? You see what I did there? That was a total knee slapper!

:P [/quote]

I get your POINT. That really CUTS to the heart of the matter.

I guess I just live life on the EDGE.

Oh God.......make it stop! :crazy:

So Kit, I realize that you can't release any detailed info on the new swords, so I'm just gonna ask you, how would you compare them to the LOTR swords? Are they as good looking? Worse? Better?
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

UC's license covers "weapons and arms", so we can do staffs, bows, axes, swords, helms, shields, et cetera. That may give you an idea. If you recall, UC never made Gandalf the Grey's first two staffs from LOTR, primarily because we found out Noble was doing one too, so we only did the white staff.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Kit, you are going to one of the reasons I am going to be homeless with a massive LOTR/Hobbit, as well as your line and Hibben line collection hanging in my cardboard box house!

I literally have no more room to display, I am going to have to come up with a new way of displaying I guess.

Not that I am complaining, keep bringing them on, I'll figure something out!

Return to “Reviews & Articles”