Renewed discussion on LFK handles colour

[quote=""Valkrist""]This brings up another sore spot which has been argued ad nauseum, and which even Kit made a case for UC, but which I will still never understand or forgive: the colour switch on the handles of the Legolas Fighting Knives.

Now, whatever else may be said, including that there were different versions of the knives, that UC got different props, or that the colour correction in post-production made the handles seem different in the movie than in reality, one fact remains, and anyone here that owns the LFK can verify this for me:

Dig out your box sleeve and tell me what the colour of the handles are on the picture, then go look at the colour on the actual handles. Are they the same? No! Yet that's the very same picture that UC used to advertise the item before it was sold, and they already had the props then. So, tell me how that is not false advertising?[/quote]

umm....... my handles match the box picture exactly...????
http://www.pegasuswd.com/

Re: Dark Shadow's collection.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]umm....... my handles match the box picture exactly...????[/quote]

Sorry for doubting, dpeg, but I find that hard to believe. To date, I don't know a single person who has the ivory coloured handles that the box picture shows, versus the caramel yellow that the knives actually are, unless they custom-painted it themselves.

I would love to see some pictures of yours, please, but let's do it in another thread and I will transfer these posts there so we can Dark's thread alone.

EDIT: I should add that I have the original LFK box sleeve which was blue. This one shows the incorrect colour for the handles. I don't know if UC made more runs of this item with brown sleeves later and corrected their mistake. If your sleeve is brown, that e xp lains everything.
This Space for Rent

Well, I'll be.... :huh:

I never knew there were two versions of this item, and yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I have the top ones with the yellow handles and those were the originals, which UC insisted they had done correctly as per the prop. Well, if they were correct, they why put out a second version?!? :angry:

Man, this makes me mad!!! Way to go for not admitting to your mistake and tricking your customers with the original box and artwork on pamphlets and websites, then turning around and issuing another run of the item with the correction made. I wonder how many people even know that they released a second version?

On a side note, brown boxes can be pre-bankruptcy as well. The blue boxes stopped after ROTK came out and they switched to brown. The post-bankruptcy boxes are more reddish in colour and have different logos and branding on them, with the map of Middle-earth gone from the art, replaced by a picture of the character that wields the weapon inside.
Last edited by Valkrist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Man, my memory is getting bad. I just did a search and apparently I did know about this different version of the knives. Granted the discussion took place four years ago, but still... I figured I would remember this. I must really be getting old. :embarasse

Anyway, it changes nothing about what UC did. Though the original thread discussion that actually involved reps from UC is long gone, here's the more recent archived thread if you are interested: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php? ... les+colour
This Space for Rent

No, they never did, though you can read that ed209 confirmed there were actually two sets used in the movie, so technically, the brown ones are not incorrect. The only grey scabbards I have seen were custom-made from the UC originals by a member here, though I forget whom.
This Space for Rent

Re: Renewed discussion on LFK handles colour

Here's a pic of mine. Apparently I have the seconds. My sleeve/box is blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Here's a pic of mine. Apparently I have the seconds. My sleeve/box is blue.[/quote]

Ditto...I have the second set as well. And like Thrandy's, mine came in a blue box. I think I bought them around 2005 or maybe 2006

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

OK, my memory might be going, but I'm not blind yet. Thranduil, those handles are the caramel ones, not the ivory ones. They look like mine, and that's yellow. You have the first set.

Deimos, if yours look like Thrand's, then you have the first batch also.

Look a little closer at the two sets of handles in that link that dpeg posted. You can clearly see the difference between the yellow ones and the white ones.

Just to clarify: when I say yellow handles, they are almost orange in colour, kinda like a dark caramel. Note also that in the original photo by dpeg, the top handles (caramel) are not catching the flash, so they look really dark compared to the bottom ones. In Thranduil's photo, the handles are catching the flash full on, making them appear lighter. I know this to be true because mine do the same and look just like Thrand's when under a bright light, but you can't hide the fact that they are caramel-coloured. The other ones are much, much lighter.

BTW, mine came in the blue box also, around 2005. I got a set the very same month UC released them to dealers because I'd had one on pre-order months prior. I'm not sure when the change in handles colour was made, but I'm guessing around 2007.
Last edited by Valkrist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

I noticed some time ago, a few years ago actually, that the Knives were listing with a model/part number of UC1372WGNB.

And since I already had a set I didn't bother about finding out what, if anything, was diifferent about them.

OK , so I pull mine out this morning and check the number: UC1372 (no letters after the numbers) and the [Roman numeral] date of 2003.

I'm thinking the 'revised' version has the letters after the UC #.

Soooo....it looks like I do in fact have the first issue set.

DRAT!!!!! I want them to be white, like they're supposed to be! :angry:

Dpeg, are you going to post pics of yours?

I've always thought mine were caramel more than white, but they're definitely not as dark as the ones in those pics, and I've never thought they looked like the ones in the film appendices.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""dpegasusm""]i don't exactly remember my box color but i think it is blue. it is pre UC bankrupcy. this post at another forum might shed some light on what we are looking at:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forum ... stcount=10[/quote]

Yuck, that first set is really off color something bad! I've seen my friend's set in-hand and his aren't nearly that dark. Now granted, this picture wasn't catching the flash, but still...yuck!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I know a seller who's selling the fighting knives of Legolas with the blue box.
UC1372WGNB
and this is de version 2003 says the seller.
Asking price is €135 which is $ 180.
I'm going to send an email to the seller and ask him if he want send some pics from the handles from the knives itself.
Do you guy's think that's a real good price if it turn out they are the real ones ?

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]I know a seller who's selling the fighting knives of Legolas with the blue box.
UC1372WGNB
I'm going to send an email to the seller and ask him if he want send some pics from the handles from the knives itself.
Do you guy's think that's a real good price if it turn out they are the real ones ?
[/quote]

It sounds like a reasonable price to me, but I'm not up on the Fighting Knives prices.

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]I know a seller who's selling the fighting knives of Legolas with the blue box.
UC1372WGNB
I'm going to send an email to the seller and ask him if he want send some pics from the handles from the knives itself.[/quote]

So if those turn out to have the caramel/orange-y colored handles (because they have a 2003 manufacture date) what indicates on a box if the knives are the newer, white-handles run? I mean, short of opening the box or having a seller send pics, how can you know?

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Do you guy's think that's a real good price if it turn out they are the real ones ?[/B][/quote]

I think that is a pretty competitive price. I've seen them go for more than $200. And even when there were a lot more available they were selling for around $150-$160. (plus shipping)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

I don't think there's a way to know unless the exact date the paint switch was made can be pinpointed by what's printed on the box. Even then, UC could have easily packaged the white-coloured knives in older sleeves, therefore messing the whole thing up. The only way to be 100% sure is to have the box opened and inspect them visually.

Case in point is Gandalf's White Staff. They made two versions because the first version with the metal crown had horrible paint cracking issues. However, when they re-issued the second version with the resin crown, the product number remained the same, including the WTNB letters after the number. Most retailers are including 'resin' in the description now, but I wouldn't be 100% sure until I had one in my hands. :huh:
Last edited by Valkrist on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

UC1372WGNB
[/quote]
I say it's a good price at this time especially. Everything's going up. Regardless of what version you get.

I know that many collectors want to see them as close in color to those in the films. My guess is that, probably for material cost reasons and changes in available materials over the years, the manufacturers used different suppliers in the different runs, accounting for the color variations, which obviously UC did not thumb thier nose at.

Mine are like Thranduil describes, kind of in between. Not as dark as seen in some of the pictures, but not as white as in the advertising.

I think that there is some confusion, as Val was brought up, about referencing "real ones". We are not referring to a counterfeit situation here. They are all real licensed UC Knives of Legolas. There were simply material color variation in the different runs. I think some of our newer collecting friends might be under that misunderstanding. As far as legitimacy and value, I would say that everyone here has authentic licensed UC versions with pretty much the same value, item condition aside.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Excellent distinction you make, Steel; absolutely essential for our ESL friends.

(We have such sharp members here, who cut right to the heart of the matter.
"Only Steel can you trust" ....but he's not the only one... :D :D :D)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]Ok so to add a layer of confusion to the mix: just checked mine and they are white, very white come in a blue box and are made in china.........[/quote]

Interesting....My guess is that the made in China set is going to have the cream coloured handles and the made in Taiwan sets have the orange-y handles.

Dpeg, what is the date on the knife itself?

[quote=""am.dk""]i am just so mush,confused as eny one on this (L.F.K) matter. :huh:
deimos say that ,ther is a difrence betwean .
made in china and made in taiwan,he also say there is a date printed on the knifes. :|
deimos can you plees e xp lain this more specifick? :huh: [/quote]
am.dk i'm so glad i'm not the only one that's confused here,i heard diffirent stories that i don't know how the real ones look like and yes i wan't the scabbards too.

All of these knives are real UC licensed.
There is a difference in where they are made depending on UC bankruptcy before and after.
There is a difference in the handle color, which clearly is not just two shades, but multiple shades.
The white handles are the most accurate to the film.
But I definitely do not have the dark orange/caramel color, I have the yellow/caramel.
The dates have to do with time of manufacture.

We are not discussing official licensed product vs. fake knock offs; they are ALL United Cutlery brands product & all are officially licensed.

We are discussing the clear fact that there is an obvious difference in the handle color.

The bottom line is that most of us would prefer the screen accurate white handled knives & that UC dropped the ball on consistency.

[quote=""am.dk""]i am just so mush,confused as eny one on this (L.F.K) matter. :huh:
deimos say that ,ther is a difrence betwean .
made in china and made in taiwan,he also say there is a date printed on the knifes. :|
deimos can you plees e xp lain this more specifick? :huh: [/quote]

am, Some of the swords (UC post bankruptcy ???) were produced in China, not Taiwan like some of the older runs of the swords.

If Dpeg has the LFK with Ivory handles I was wondering where/when they were made. Like the swords, the knives have a place and year of manufacture etched on one side.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]see the attached image[/quote]
Go figure.
2003 and made in China.
Why do I feel we could use some of Kit Rae's input here.

I'm with you on that, Thrand. My swords are all in storage now so I can't check my dates, but 2003 seems way too early for the Chinese made LOTR stuff to be around, yet there is the proof. :huh:

All I know is that I got my LFK pretty much the same month they came out, and they have caramel handles. Wish I could check where they got made though.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Reviews & Articles”