budk returns

well i returned my broken orcrist scabbard to budk 2-10-2014, tr # shows delivery 2-18-2014, and as yet have not even received an acknowledgement from them - any body else think im out $100+?
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

Re: budk returns

[quote=""rick cottontree""]i dont know what they are doing - i did email for info on the 26th, no reply to that yet either - i reckon a phone conversation is next on the agenda[/quote]

I herd they returned all there stock back to UC, so if your waiting on a replacement it will be awhile. BudK is horrible or replying to emails directly from there customer service box. If you have a direct email you will get a better response. I would would just call as it would be faster. If there going to redesign who knows how long of a wait it will be, you may be better off with a refund and reorder later.

[quote=""rick cottontree""]well i returned my broken orcrist scabbard to budk 2-10-2014, tr # shows delivery 2-18-2014, and as yet have not even received an acknowledgement from them - any body else think im out $100+?[/quote]

Did you request a replacement or a refund?
If a replacement, I'd call them to see what's up.
If a refund check your credit card statement/activity.

Here's the thing, tho'.
When i requested a replacement for my corkscrew sword of Kili, they never acknowledged the return AND they credited my Visa card, but never told me that either.
Nor did they respond to any emails.
I discovered the refund while reviewing my statement.
So I wasn't out any money (except return shipping which they hit you with, defective merchandise or not), but I still don't have Kili's sword.

Seems BudK learned "customer communication" at the same school that Justin Steinmetz did....

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I had a similar e xp erience with my original Kili sword Deimos. I got no acknowledgement from them, but the purchase price was credited to my account. However, I've never paid return shipping on defective items. I've always had then issue me a return label, or in the latest case, they contacted the courier and all I did was hand it over when they showed up.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""RosereIII""]I had a similar e xp erience with my original Kili sword Deimos. I got no acknowledgement from them, but the purchase price was credited to my account. However, I've never paid return shipping on defective items. I've always had then issue me a return label, or in the latest case, they contacted the courier and all I did was hand it over when they showed up.[/quote]

They did the courier contact thing with me also.
And on the phone conversation they assured me up, down and sideways that there would be no return shipping fee, that the courier picking it up already having the prepaid label, etc.

They lied, and docked me for about $15, even though I sent an email with pics and also enclosed pics with the sword, all of them showing (from different angles) how warped the blade was.

I was (and still am) so disgusted with BudK that I didn't even pursue trying to get the $15 back.
They aren't crooks per se, they just don't seem to care at all about how they treat their customers.
And since they have a captive audience (as Lindir pointed out, who else makes most Middle Earth Weapons?) they can treat us like ignorant peasants. :angry:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

That's a bummer to hear! I've had mostly good e xp eriences with them as I said, though I have found dealing with them to be quite a hassle. Shame, but it mostly likely differs depending on who you get on the phone... I did have one problem with the Prince of Persia swords I bought from them quite some time ago, they dragged their feet on return labels to the point where I just decided to glue the piece back on and leave it at that. They really ought to stop calling it "Customer Service"; and that goes for more than just BudK.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

A true sign of arrogance and flippant attitude that clearly says they don't care about customers as individuals. They probably have huge sales regardless, so who cares about a few annoyed individuals and a run or two of defective products? Didn't someone mention recently that the owner of BudK and UC owns several other companies? These kind of people hardly get to be this successful by caring about peasants like you and I.
This Space for Rent

To be honest, and I am not trying to purposely knock BudK, but when I heard they bought UC, I was a little worried. No offense to their webmaster, but their website looks like the "Dollar General." They sell anything and everything under the sun. I HATE their site layout, not to mention I never understood why Budk.com and KennesawCutlery.com go to the same website, but refer to the proper "budk" "kennesaw" but everything else is the same... just looks tacky.

Sorry, off my rant.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

just checked cc account - it appears i have a refund on the cost of return shipping, so i assume i am in line for the exchange i requested. i was unaware of their decision to return all stock to uc or i would have requested refund. still looks like best avenue would be phone conversation, as they obviously do not keep you informed of the processes.
 ! Warning

after 2 months from initial order ---- i heard from budk after i emailed their return dept, they are cancelling my exchange request and issuing a refund - anyone know if and when the orcrist scabbard will be available again?
 ! Warning

I'm happy for you, Rick. Better late than never.

Near as I can tell, and judging by a couple of comments Kit made, the Orcrist scabbard seems to be in a bit of limbo at the moment. Apparently UC is reviewing what changes they can make to the scabbard to reduce breakage and defects, but there's also the possibility they simply won't do anything due to costs and the scabbard will be discontinued. This is disheartening because as disappointed as I was with what they put out, it looks now like this could be an unintentionally rare item that will not be produced again and could soon cost a lot of money on the aftermarket. It could be a dangerously e xp ensive game for collectors that never bought one yet to wait for UC's decision. :(
This Space for Rent

Return to “Reviews & Articles”