Your Dream Collection

So, I was thinking that, aside from my assorted UC LOTR collection, what other swords had left such an impression on me throughout the years that I will simply have to have one day in order for my dream collection to be complete. I'm not going to get into the WETA LOTR Mastersmith collection here. I'm happy enough with the UC versions and can't justify that much cash for a single sword that will just sit on my wall (however beautiful it would look.)

Therefore, eliminating those from contention, my top three must-have-someday dream list consists of:

1- Conan's Atlantean Sword (the Albion version)

2- Connor MacLeod's (Ramirez's) Katana (the best, faithful version out there, possibly the one currently made by Zeist.)

3- Excalibur (from the 1981 John Boorman directed movie of the same name - also made by Albion, I believe.)

A fourth contender would be Maximus' Gladius from Gladiator, and a fifth might be William Wallace's Claymore from Braverheart. All in all, five very iconic swords from five movies I absolutely love.

I would invite others to contribute their own lists, as this is why we are all here. :thumbs_up

A couple of questions for Sed, who I know is sure to read this and comment: is the Maximus Gladius that was made the same one that he wields as a general at the beginning of the movie, or the one he uses in the arena later on? (and if someone suggests it's the same one, then there's a serious problem with the continuity of the movie) Also, did you ever find that cheaper Marto version of the Atlantean that was only available in Spain?
This Space for Rent

Re: Your Dream Collection

Hah, I could go on forever and ever and ever...

First off is the slayer of kings, the sword wielded by archaon in warhammer. Black library made a few of them some years ago, now I can't find it anywhere...

Then there's the death dealer helmet. Oh and kropserkel's witch king armour. Oh, and one of those ancient chinese armours, kinda reminding of a samurai suit, just twice as awesome. Been trying to find some info on such suits, but with no luck.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Anyway....

Yeah the Maximus replica was the one he had at the beginning of the film (in fact, he actually had two if you remember. The primary one got stuck in the tree after the beheading and his backup was used for the majority of the battle from there on out until he later retrieves the first one from the trunk). It's one of my all-time favorites. Simply stunning. As much as I like the Factory X replica, however, I wish a better version was available with an authentic grip and trench in the pommel (the movie version has a carved trench around the midsection of the ball whereas the Factory X replica is plain).

You can kind of make it out here:

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/124/330 ... jr9PIC.jpg

But the close-up on the removal-from-tree shot is the best view of it in the movie.

Here you can see right before he ditches the sword we're talking about that he carries the second one on the horse's left side: http://www.krescendo.com/gladiatorlatin ... age003.jpg

And I sure wouldn't mind adding that armor to my collection.... might be some of my favorite movie armor ever:

http://www.krescendo.com/gladiatorlatin ... age001.jpg

As for my dream collection, I'll ditto every one you mentioned along with Albion's Conan's Father's sword. I could never decide which Conan blade I liked more so I would obviously need both. ;)

And the Marto replicas really look like crud. :| If they were a hundred bucks? Sure. I might get one. But even then I wouldn't be happy with it because there are plenty of good things I can get with a hundred bucks. And if it's not the best version out there, I can't sleep at night. And besides. They're not 100 bucks. I've seen them go for insane amounts and it's definitely not worth it for such an inaccurate and non-functional piece.

For years I drooled over Albion's Conan swords... they may have stopped making them for now, but one day... I will have them.

So you pretty much covered the most important swords I believe are essential to a sword collection. But I'll add that I still want a lot of Paul Chens. Kami, Tiger, Bushido, etc. And many more. And many customs. In fact, I want a collection as big as Hanzo's in Kill Bill someday. A wide assortment. All different colors, designs, etc. That is truly my dream collection if we're not talking replicas.

And there is one last thing... something more personal:

http://c0359001.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 0856-0.jpg

http://c0359001.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 0857-0.jpg

Those come naturally though, I suppose. First thing's first. They need a reason to get made.
-_-

Nice research on the Maximus sword. I had totally forgotten the first gladius gets stuck in the tree and he then switches to a different one, but yeah, that's the one I meant. Disappointing to hear the replica is not as good as it could be, but that seems to be a common trend with a lot of these movie prop companies.

I didn't know Albion had stopped making the Conan swords, but that's not surprising at all given that it's an older movie. When you say 'for now' do you think they will resume production one day or is that just wishful thinking on your part? I'm figuring we'll have better luck picking one up from a private collector that is selling theirs down the line somewhere. I doubt the new Conan remake is going to spark new interest in the old swords because people will think that the new plastic toy that Conan wields is the real Conan sword. :|

I too love the Father Sword, but decided against listing it because I wanted to diversify and include one blade only per movie. If I strike it rich one day, then it's definitely going on my colllection also. :thumbs_up

Love your designs also. Here's to hoping they become reality someday. :)
This Space for Rent

My dream collection? Well, it starts with a nice open room looking down Anduin from a high circle in Minas Tirith... :P

I agree on the Atlantean sword, the Marto doesn't begin compare with the Albion. That's one that I'd REALLY like to have for my wall.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Thanks Val! Means a lot.

But yeah that was wishful thinking on my part. In fact, I do plan to hunt those down when I have the means to do so, someday (that word pops up a lot in these discussions). It's a loose end. An unfinished piece of business. An unfulfilled dream. And I have a big hole in my sense of accomplishment until I get those -- no matter what else I manage to do or get. Because... say we do get fairly wealthy someday. What good is that if we don't have two of the first big (and I mean BIG) wants of our life? I'll never forget those swords! :P

But sadly you're probably right about the new Conan sword(s). People just don't know. I make the mistake of browsing DeviantArt sometimes and MAN do I see some stupid and hideous stuff (you know, random anime/WoW hybrid mash-ups with no thought to taste or function) and no negative comments. In fact, none short of "WOW AMAZING" and "WICKED SWORD". People just don't know what a sword IS.

This takes me back but I was watching part of FOTR one time with a friend at the time who said "look you can tell the sword is fake because it wobbled!" when Boromir was fighting the Uruks in slo-mo. I just facepalmed...
-_-

[quote=""Sedhal""]
This takes me back but I was watching part of FOTR one time with a friend at the time who said "look you can tell the sword is fake because it wobbled!" when Boromir was fighting the Uruks in slo-mo. I just facepalmed...[/quote]

Oh man. That is really, really funny! :D

Val, I see you have the Highlander on there. I've never seen any of the movies or tv series (yeah yeah give me grief) but I know what they're about, and I thought that sword broke in one of the movies...so why does UC's Duncan sword look like the Connor sword if Connor's sword broke? Can anyone shed me a little light on those swords in general? I really like the Highlander swords but I really don't know much about them, or katanas in general for that matter.

Oh boy. That's a loaded question. We just discussed a lot of this in a thread last week. To quickly touch on some things, Duncan's and Connor's are not the same. In fact, Duncan goes through two versions in the series and Connor's sword changes from movie to movie.

And since you haven't seen them, I'll sum it up like this: The only worthwhile Highlander is the original so when we talk about the sword we generally refer to the one and only sword from the one and only film. :) The bonus is that it clears up a lot of headaches about the sequels and TV shows and all the continuity errors/redesigns/etc by completely avoiding discussing them.
-_-

Yeah, what he said. :thumbs_up

The Connor and Duncan katanas are very similar but the most clearly visible difference is in the pommel.

If you're ever going to get into watching Highlander, watch only the first movie, and maybe check out the third one. If you *must* watch the second one, look for the Renegade version. That cut makes the movie just barely watchable. Barely. The least said about the fourth movie, the better. The series was passable except for continuity violations, and I never watched the Raven spinoff so I can't comment, but I'm sure it was somewhere on the wrong side of tolerable.
This Space for Rent

Yeah I've heard from friends that number two is a joke and was completely ignored in the next movies. I've heard the one released in 2000 (?) Was better than 2. So if I were to look at the swords from the movie, is it safe to say that UCs Connor sword is accurate? I see they have one called a Damascus edition...isn't that just a better blade?

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Yeah I've heard from friends that number two is a joke and was completely ignored in the next movies. I've heard the one released in 2000 (?) Was better than 2. So if I were to look at the swords from the movie, is it safe to say that UCs Connor sword is accurate? I see they have one called a Damascus edition...isn't that just a better blade?[/quote]

Hell no. UC's is not only inaccurate, but the original sword did not have damascus steel. And I personally think Japanese blades look hideous with damascus. I'm not just saying this because he's a member, but Shinsei's company's replicas and original pieces look like the best out there. Aesthetically and accuracy-wise a million times better than the UCs or Martos.
-_-

Hhmm...just for fun...
So far, some of the iconic media mentioned in which the swords come from are (in no specific order):

1) Conan
2) Highlander
3) Lord of the Rings
4) Excalibur
5) Braveheart
6) Gladiator
7) Warhammer
8) Death Dealer
9) The Princess Bride

My "Dream Collection"? Well, i love the history of swords - my original goal was 1 antique (or highend replica) representing each major group / culture / type...that i like, of course...lol. In terms of movies...i must agree with most: Conan, Highlander (Connor), LOTR, Gladiator. The only new movie i can think of adding would be "The Princess Bride" - sword of Inigo Montoya. Which, actually, the replica is being released later this year by Factory Entertainment!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Jash""]
The only new movie i can think of adding would be "The Princess Bride" - sword of Inigo Montoya. [/quote]

"....You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Depends if you're going for accuracy or not. That isn't accurate at all but you might just want something along-the-lines.

Why not get this one? http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1139-br ... llace.aspx

EDIT: Guys we just might get our wish about Gladiator. Museum Replicas has it listed under their coming soon section along with Sleepy Hollow. I believe it was also Factory X that produced the original Hessian sword. I think Windlass made the blades for the Factory X Maximus sword too but they've improved a lot since then. All I know is they've been making some pretty cool reproductions and have no doubt they'll make an awesome sword of Maximus the way it should be made. I'm kind of excited... this hasn't happened in a while. Makes me want to get the Robin Hood sword so I can display both next to the sword of Ibelin in a designated Ridley Scott/Windlass corner of the room.
Last edited by Sedhal on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Jash, out of curiosity, how many cultures swords do you have, and how many do you not have
that you still want?[/quote]
Wow....that's one big question....lol. But i'll try:

Have:
At the moment, i have blades representing Japan, China, Nepal, Viking, Roman, Greek, Iberian, Victorian, Renaissance, Scottish, Pirate, Crusader, Iranian, Late-Medieval, WW1, Burma, India.

Need:
That is not represented yet - Minoan, Mycenaean, Egyptian, Migration Era, Celtic.

But, even though i like all types of swords - my main interests are in Japanese, Indian, and pre-Medieval European - so my examples in these will be more specific (for example - 5 different Roman sword types vs. 1 Chinese Sword to represent the culture).

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I found a good looking William Wallace claymore on the net today from a company by the name of Generation 2. Anyone ever seen this one? It's not licensed, but for the price it looks like a quality piece of work.

http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/mercha ... _Code=ICIB

What do ya think?[/quote]
Sed beat me to it - Windlass now have the official version of the Braveheart Claymore...and if you shop around, you will most definitely find it cheaper ($250)! Also, if you want to be truely authentic..."Del Tin" made the original sword for the movie...and you can still find that reproduction, by Del Tin, for sale ($500+). PM me if you need some websites :)

[quote=""Sedhal""]
EDIT: Guys we just might get our wish about Gladiator. Museum Replicas has it listed under their coming soon section along with Sleepy Hollow. I believe it was also Factory X that produced the original Hessian sword. I think Windlass made the blades for the Factory X Maximus sword too but they've improved a lot since then. All I know is they've been making some pretty cool reproductions and have no doubt they'll make an awesome sword of Maximus the way it should be made. I'm kind of excited... this hasn't happened in a while. Makes me want to get the Robin Hood sword so I can display both next to the sword of Ibelin in a designated Ridley Scott/Windlass corner of the room.[/quote]
I read that as well...and can't wait! My answer to not having a Sword of Maximus!!! The only thing that worries me is MRL states "costumes and armor"......hhhhmmmmmm.....but would love a "Helm of Tigris of Gaul".

I knew that was a big question for you of all people, Jash. :P

Only reason I asked is I'd like to have something similar someday, although not quite as extensive. I've got to finish my LotR line first! Although it looks like I may be putting that on hold to start saving for a Gladiator sword!

[quote=""Sedhal""]Oh boy, you're right. Eeerrrrrr.... :| [/quote]
I wonder why though? Can the "Gladiator" license be divided into weapons, armour, and clothing? If so, who currently holds the license to "Gladiator" weapons? Last i checked, it was only Factory X (Windlass) and Marto that made the sword of Maximus....

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I knew that was a big question for you of all people, Jash. :P

Only reason I asked is I'd like to have something similar someday, although not quite as extensive. I've got to finish my LotR line first! Although it looks like I may be putting that on hold to start saving for a Gladiator sword![/quote]
lol - thanks Fing, i'm flattered.
Out of curiosity, which cultures/types of swords (besides movies) would you be adding?

Well I've always wanted to add a nice Roman style sword, a Greek sword, a Viking Sword, and a nice Katana to my collection. I also want a Rapier of some sort, and I'm fond of Cold Steel's Napolean Saber. Oh and of course, a medieval longsword or bastard sword of some sort. I need to finish my movie swords first!

That's a nice representation of some of the most popular sword desings! Any specific blades you've been eyeing? lol

I hear ya - i started off with historical swords, and then was side-tracked by movie swords. My first movie sword started when i bought the Shards of Narsil as an investment piece...now look what happened! :)

Windlass is what it says on my Maximus sword, but that's going on a decade now. I'd like both the Pompeii and Maintz gladii, however, I've already got the wooden rudis, which I can bring in to use as a prop during lectures. As for LOTR swords, I've got a fondness to get Herugrim, but am so disappointed that it doesn't have a scabbard. Sting would be good, as well as Gimili's axe. Beyond that, my interests go back to historical swords. I'd like a Celtic or Viking sword, and a Greek Falcata.

I'm out of room as it is, so......lol

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

[quote=""Jash""]That's a nice representation of some of the most popular sword desings! Any specific blades you've been eyeing? lol

I hear ya - i started off with historical swords, and then was side-tracked by movie swords. My first movie sword started when i bought the Shards of Narsil as an investment piece...now look what happened! [/quote]

Most of the historical weapons I've looked at are Windlass products...I'm not very knowledgable on the best brands to buy from other than Cold Steel, Windlass and Albion.

I haven't looked very far into the Roman swords, but for the Greeks I like the Windlass Classic Hoplite Sword. For a wiking sword I like the looks of two Windlass swords: The Sword of the Viking King and the Stiklestad Viking Sword. My favorite Bastard Sword I've seen is the Sword of Bramham Moor by Windlass. I haven't looked into Rapiers yet, they aren't my area of specialty. The same goes for Katanas, in fact maybe even less knowledge on them. The only one I've ever seen that really caught my eye was one I saw in Justin's Collection, next to his Napolean Saber (another thing on my list, I've wanted that one as long as I can remember).

I still need to flip through an Albion catalogue to see if anything catches my eye in there as well. :thumbs_up

Oh Fing, buddy, pal...
1) Careful with that Albion catalogue...you'll find yourself saving up for a lot more than you thought possible...lol.
2) Hhhhmmm - time to be a bad influence again:
Some other companies to check out are:
-Deepeeka - also made in India, not as well made as Windlass, but usually more historically accurate (Greek, Roman)
-Valiant - getting better over the yeas, espeically now with their "Signature Series"
- Hanwei (and Bugei) = great for katanas, and some Euro blades
- Arms & Armor - up there with Albion
- WKC (Solingen) = military grade sabres (they bought out Wilkinson)

There are a LOT more - but i think these are some of the most basic and "hard to go wrong" with companies... Have fun ;)

I know how e xp ensive Albion swords can get, that's why I've steered clear from them so far...it's just that I haven't ruled them out of the equation completely.

Thanks for the other brands. I've heard of Valiant, Hanwei and A&A before, though I don't think I've ever looked at their swords.

Well i'm really liking the new Valiant Armoury "Signature Series". Think they have something good going. Great swords for the money, with scabbards, and a unique look. Let us know what you think when you see them...lol

I haven't chimed in on this thread.

My dream colloection? I've already got it, the collection part anyway.
The dream is to get it unboxed and displayed! :angry:

Just joined Shadow and Flame forum where I found our friend N2darkness.
The photos of his collection room in there are awesome; it really reflects the feel I want for my room. :thumbs_up

If I ever get myself back to a stable life again I'm gonna start working on these display pieces with full unrelenting commitment. :viking: :horseback
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]I haven't chimed in on this thread.

Just joined Shadow and Flame forum where I found our friend N2darkness.
The photos of his collection room in there are awesome; it really reflects the feel I want for my room. :thumbs_up

[/quote]

Can you share the link for the exact page? I found the Forum....

N2 is everywhere, lol. I've found him on Shadow and Flame, and I think on Sideshow Collectors. He's like Gandalf, he travels far and abroad.

I almost joined Shadow and Flame about a month ago when reading up on Weta stuff, now that I see Thrand as newest member down there I may just have to join myself!

Edit: Mmk, just finished looking at his dungeon. I'd comment on it, but if you'll excuse me I must go find all the pieces of my jaw, I dropped it on the floor.
Last edited by Fingolfin on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]N2 is everywhere, lol. I've found him on Shadow and Flame, and I think on Sideshow Collectors. He's like Gandalf, he travels far and abroad.

I almost joined Shadow and Flame about a month ago when reading up on Weta stuff, now that I see Thrand as newest member down there I may just have to join myself!

Edit: Mmk, just finished looking at his dungeon. I'd comment on it, but if you'll excuse me I must go find all the pieces of my jaw, I dropped it on the floor.[/quote]

Okay, registered and found that thread. I have just seen the first pic, and that made me flip over and post this. HOLY CRAP!

Ok, back to go look...

EDIT: LOL! I've seen the coffee table before on the RPF, but hadn't noticed to whom it belonged! Very nice room. I had no idea there were so many statues made. The display for the swords is very nice. I like the Tutor design/Prancing Pony look to the room.
Last edited by Legion on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psst, Thrand, there's a thread on there welcoming you. Don't be a party pooper, go and say hi you shy dog! :P

Wow, look at their new members thing at the bottom of the Shadow and Flame home page. I believe that is four, count it four UCForums members. Val, Olorin, get in there, it's time to take over! Charge!

Does this count as treason? Speaking of another forum so highly?
I've spent hours in there enjoying it.

Go to member galleries and check out FelMar's collection
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=24981

Sickening. :embarasse

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have money? :|

One things for sure gang, I'm gonna make a display room that blows my collection away.

I've got to do something to make it worth the look.
And here's N2's room;
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Does this count as treason? Speaking of another forum so highly?
I've spent hours in there enjoying it.

Go to member galleries and check out FelMar's collection
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=24981

Sickening. :embarasse

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have money? :|

One things for sure gang, I'm gonna make a display room that blows my collection away.

I've got to do something to make it worth the look.
And here's N2's room;
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... :thumbs_up[/quote]

Wow. Yeah...that's sure something. Felmar sells stuff on ebay (as Felmar_Corp, I think). You could literally spend hours just looking at stuff in there!

He has a Sideshow statue of a Gondorian Fountain Gaurd in the 23rd photo that I've never seen before. So sweet.

And N2D's room? Well, looking at that just makes me feel good inside. I especially appreciate the display table. :) Easily a dream collection for most.

Lucky guys!

EDIT: Check out N2D's Shards of Narsil/Helm display on page 7 of the link above. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
Last edited by Rough666 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

hmm ,this is werd are we looking at some of the same aspects here,sed??
dream swords and so,ofcause conan swords is out of reach,they were limited swords from day one.conan sword and the farther sword made by albion. ;)

to get one you need to go to the collecters market,and if lukky somone might sell. :huh:

sed you put up some ammsing draws,of some very interesting swords.
saying (there need to be a reason fore getting im made).
what is the reason not to??and whats the story? ;)

i now by now there is a story but it is not complet.love to see your work.

Amen, am! The Conans are the ultimate dream as far as collecting goes for me. My first dream was the beautiful Paul Chen Orchid. Now that I have her, the Conans will be that one loose end for a long time... (notice I didn't say forever :coolsmile )

I'll have them someday. I swear it!

And thanks for asking about those swords. The story is a little complicated to e xp lain here (okay, that's an understatement) so I won't try. It's one of those things I love to e xp lain in person but I'm a little protective online.

Anyway, the reason why not is because I can't spoil them before the story sees the light of day. And I don't want them to undermine the story by seeming like the prime aspect (they're just designs after all). But as a sword enthusiast I'd love to physically hold one and that would be a bigger dream than the Conans for obvious personal reasons. And that's why I need a reason for someone to make them when the time is right. :) I hope I answered your question...
-_-

And then there's the issue of pride. While having the real deal high carbon steel sword is a noble desire, passing up an all metal conceptual version of a sword that has never existed off of paper is a joke.

So much for Top Secret projects :coolsmile

And I DO HAVE Animus, and I CAN HOLD IT. It's designer hasn't even seen it!

And NO I won't be posting a picture of it for the reasons stated above.

[quote=""Sedhal""]It's not because it's non-functional why I won't take it. Besides, I'd rather you or Ed have it. But I wouldn't mind some photos if it's finished... :)

Any more of this should probably be discussed via email anyway.[/quote]
I have to admit you past with flying colors Sed! :thumbs_up
You've changed a lot in the last 8 months, I consider your request about posting the photos. For now I'm laid up and if I photgraph it, I want to get the lighting and back ground right so it reflects your design.

[quote=""am.dk""]and so did you thranduil.as ones nown as a man of god speach.
turns into,a laud sceam from the underworld.[/quote]
am,
could you clarify a little for me please?

[quote=""am.dk""]no i can not,as i am a writting imbersile.. :crazy:
dont worry about it ,just loosing my mind sometimes. :thumbs_up [/quote]

am ---you're staying, right? :) Not going to quit the Forums? Wouldn't be the same without you, buddy.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""am.dk""]no i can not,as i am a writting imbersile.. :crazy:
dont worry about it ,just loosing my mind sometimes. :thumbs_up [/quote]
Well am. we all have off moments, and days.
Hope things are okay.
Send me a PM if you need to talk or vent some steam.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]What he's trying to say is you're the King of the Beavers and you can't fool owls. :thumbs_up [/quote]
Huh? :|

Return to “Swords”