I would love an explanation

About 4 years ago I knew almost nothing of what makes a good sword so I went to a medieval fair and got a cheap 40$ steel sword (i am guessing stainless). Since I didn't know anything about swords I went home and smashed up a box a big thick one at that. The sword then went through quiet the shellacking when I started cutting up thick branches and vines over the years. So the other day even after learning this knowledge I thought what the heck I went out side for about 20 minutes and started destroying the local vegetation. Upon further inspection I see that it has the cheapest rattiest tail tang you can find, welded on just a little thin rod going down to the pommel which is threaded on, mind you. It is still sturdy with no wobble or clanking. Why is this thing not looking like the shards of Narsil right now?????????
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.
Its a Trap-admiral ackbar

Re: I would love an explanation

When you buy a crappy paki rip-off, it's far from definite that it can't take a beating, and actually, I'd believe most of them could take quite alot of branch snappping and what not. Thing is however, that the blade CAN fly off and impale your neighbour.

Ever heard of Murphy's law? What can go wrong will go wrong. Eventuallly.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

I'd say you can blame Physics that your sword has lasted this long.

Thus far you've been defeating the armies of Sedentary and Indifference. I.e. your enemies aren't attacking you. Or your sword for that matter. The force being applied to your sword is minimal at best. Vegetation isn't going to put up much fight and even branches are probably going to break simply due to the blunt force of the blade. The items your hacking are only applying a force of not moving.

However, with a rat-tail construction I'd be willing to bet the very first time you go sword-to-sword (strong vs. equally strong force...also I DO NO RECOMMEND THIS), your sword would probably snap and the blade would come free. Of course if it did this it would likely come back at you and cause a very interesting ER visit. Rat-tails are to be wall hangers and props. Nothing more.

I would never go sword to sword with it nor would I even hit something solid with it I just find it interesting plus its had its fair share of some of my lower iq friends beatings who knows what else its been through :| :| :|
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.
Its a Trap-admiral ackbar

Return to “Swords”