LOTR Weapons and Warfare book blade lengths?

What is the story with the blade lengths listed in this book versus the UC replicas? Was the author measuring actual props and UC decided to make stuff different sizes? Did the author get blade length and overall length mixed up?

Examples:

Edit formatting is not good. Second length is the the UC Replica length.

Book UC Replica
Witchking sword 60" 54 5/8"

Witchking Dagger 16" 25"

High Elven Sword just under 5' 50"

Uruk Hai sword 3' 32"

Tim

Re: LOTR Weapons and Warfare book blade lengths?

Val's right. The book is really cool as a resource for pictures, not only of weapons but also armor and shots of scenes not in the movie (namely the Lorien goblin chase). But as for the majority of the text... :angry: . If it's not in a yellow box, don't read it. I'm still trying to figure out when the Rohirrim were called The Rohan or The Rohans. :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]... I'm still trying to figure out when the Rohirrim were called The Rohan or The Rohans. :crazy: [/quote]

Or maybe the Rohanites...or the Rohannans...or the Rohanese...or....well, you get the picture :D :D :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Fingolfin""]So in that case, what are members of the Rohan Royal Guard called? Theodenites? :D [/quote]

No...they are called the...the... THE THEODENIZENS!!!...HAHAHAHAHA!!!
(Really bad, I know :D :D :D)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

In the documentaries on the DVDs, occasionally people would refer to the Rohans, and I thought, they obviously couldn't have bothered to read the book or even a reference work like the Complete Guide to Middle earth or the Encyclopedia of Arda (though in fairness, I don't know if the latter existed yet when the interviews were conducted).

I have the Weapons and Warfare book and haven't looked at it in years. It certainly had a lot of nice pictures. It was also the place where I first learned of the atrocity of the WK breaking Gandalf's staff (the book came out before the ROTK EE).

Anyway, none of this answers Tim's question. :(
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Swords”