Re: Shards of Narsil Project

Valid points, Darlak.

That reminds me of why Narsil shattered in the first place. As we know, Elendil broke it as he fell in battle in the books. Movies, Sauron stepped on it.

Both of these situations though, I think happened because Elendil got killed. I think that when that king died, Narsil's enchantments were either temporarily weakened or broken or something, making it breakable.

Then of course, it didn't shine with the light of the sun or moon anymore, probably because it was broken, or maybe because it was still not dealing with Elendil's death so well. At this point, the sword isn't very magical. Maybe it's acting like a normal sword at this point, I have no idea. When the Elves reforged it, they made it a point to enchant the scabbard, separately from the sword, so that the blade would never stain or break, even if its owner got defeated. The 'even if its owner got defeated' bit is what got me thinking about why Narsil broke in the first place.

Then again, there's always the chance Narsil was just a brittle thing :crazy: We do know that Telchar of Nogrod made at least one other weapon that snapped, Angrist.

But back onto the movie Narsil shards, if the sword did not rust and the Elves did indeed take very good care of it, maybe the thing was blackened because it was charred by the heat of Sauron's boot? There was some mention on Isildur's scroll that Sauron disintegrated Gil-Galad by just grabbing him (which would also e xp lain why Sauron was reaching for Isildur rather than swinging his mace just before his death), maybe his feet were as super-hot as his hands were in the film?
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Re: Shards of Narsil Project

Sacrificing a Dremel for these results was well worth it. If it hadn't come out for you I could understand being upset but now you truly have a one of a kind shards. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”