Shards of Narsil Project

I have a fake Narsil that I want to convert into the Shards of Narsil. (What- you think I'm going to do that to my UC1267?) Anyway, I'm just about ready... but I need some measurements first. On the UC1296 (for you lucky owners), how long is each edge of the blade? I know it's not broken in a straight diagonal line, so I want to duplicate the tip correctly, too. Is there a pattern I can follow?

Re: Shards of Narsil Project

No! Not too late at all! :D
At the moment I'm only interested in the blade portion that is still attached to the hilt.
Millimeters will work just fine! I'll need a measurement of either edge of the blade. Then, if you could take a nice sharp picture, straight on and not on an angle, that would work. Preferably nice and big, so I can duplicate the broken edge well.
Maybe later, I might try the full five cuts on the blade... But for now, I'll just stick with that one cut.
Thanks for replying!

It looks great!
I resized Jason's first image to 45% to accomodate the blade width, printed it out, cut the paper along the edge, then traced the jagged edge onto the blade with a Sharpie marker.
After that, I used Peter Lyon's technique-
Peter Lyon wrote:Blades don't want to break the way this one had to, so I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut into the back, then carefully cracked and broke it along these lines.
I cut along the line with my Dremel rotary tool, most of the way through the blade. I then released the clamps and broke it the rest of the way by hand.
Then I clamped it into a bench vise and carefully smoothed out the "broken" edge, using the Dremel. Not too much- just enough for safety. I left the blade edges sharp.
The remaining blade is still in one piece. I think I may leave it that way for now. It was one of those knock-offs, so the fuller stops several inches before the tip, leaving a hexagonal cross-section.
Later I will try to add the proper nicks into the broken edge. I'm very pleased with how it has turned out so far.
Last edited by Urambo Tauro on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You know... this project of yours isn't a bad idea for people who didn't get the shards.

It doesn't sound like its terribly difficult... and a lot of people do own a dremel. Perhaps when this is said and done, you could post some instructions and a step by step guide. That would be great. I would certainly go out and buy a knock off and turn it into the shards. I'm excited now :D
Valar morghulis

Thanks everyone!
I do plan to eventually improve the "broken" edge. As far as display goes, I may go with a table-top (or short bookshelf-top) layout like the shield in the film. Maybe blue velvet cloth, too... So far, I'm keeping the shards in two pieces unlike the film. At some point I would love to weather the hilt- it's far to shiny.
I did use a Dremel rotary with a cutoff wheel, true to the original technique. (see August 1 post) Jason, if you're nervous about using the cutoff wheel, you could always practice with a knockoff. If you slip at all (I did a couple of times), just make a good nick in that spot to improve the "broken" appearance.
I guess I could blacken some of the blade... I could even add the hole in the edge, like Mr. Howe thought of.

Any further updates on this project? I just ordered my second Narsil to try this project myself. The dremel cutoff wheel is that the ceramic one or the fiberglass mesh one?

Also for someone who has the shards can they give all the measurements of the peices in US stardard dementions. Thanks again for anyones help and I'll post pics of my progress as well.

Here you go Blu Falcon!

I must firstly apologize though. I only had about 1 free hour before I had to leave for work today, plus was having problems uploading my pics straight to this thread. So i've uploaded 6 pics as well as the measurements to my gallery:

photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1445

Secondly, i must apologize for my horrible drawing of Narsil...i was in a rush :P lol. The diagram is off scale, but the measurements are there! I hope this is sufficient...please let me know if you need anything else!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Jash""]Here you go Blu Falcon!

I must firstly apologize though. I only had about 1 free hour before I had to leave for work today, plus was having problems uploading my pics straight to this thread. So i've uploaded 6 pics as well as the measurements to my gallery:

photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1445

Secondly, i must apologize for my horrible drawing of Narsil...i was in a rush :P lol. The diagram is off scale, but the measurements are there! I hope this is sufficient...please let me know if you need anything else![/quote]

You, my friend, are awesome. No need to apologize for anything. You've gone well above the call of duty, my friend. Much MUCH appreciated. Will definitely keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again!

[quote=""N2darkness""]Dude! Thats excellent! Blu contacted me about this and didn't have any of the measurements. Thanks for providing them! I'm going to try this myself when the weather gets a little better.[/quote]

It's time...

[quote=""N2darkness""]Dude! Thats excellent! Blu contacted me about this and didn't have any of the measurements. Thanks for providing them! I'm going to try this myself when the weather gets a little better.[/quote]

Well here is my current progress with this project. I've almost killed my Dremel twice already, but almost there. Plenty of cutting, grinding, sanding and weathering to go.

[quote=""Darlak""]Man, that looks wonderful. Also, it doesn't have that homemade look on it[/quote]
I agree whole hardily, I did a double take because it's been so long since the last post I'd forgotten N2 was making the attempt.
My first impression was that it was just another LE Shards.
Awesome job :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""dpegasusm""]Just whatever you do for weathering don't douse the blade with a light coat of spray paint. That is in my opinion the worst part about that sword from UC.[/quote]
I agree, it was the worst "weathering" job ever, about as cheezy as it gets.
Personally I would do anything to it except to note that if you intend to display just like you photographed it, then make sure flip the four center pieces end for end. I just looked at your pic again N2 and noticed you got those four pieces facing the wrong direction when it comes to their orientation to blade tip and grip.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Oh, one thing about the sword. For a realistic look, don't polish the areas where its been broken, if you get my meaning. In fact, do quite the opposite. Make it look real matte, that's what metal looks like when it's been shattered. Don't trust what you see in terminator 2, that's what would happen if it were frozen to - craploads. And even then it wouldn't be that shiny.

What I suggest is, that you take some real rough sandpaper, and irregularly "polish it" to get that look. Some matte varnish after you've done this may also make it look more "real".
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

No matter how the prop looks, you should still make it look realistic. And the shattered areas on the original prop are blackened? Makes no sense, as the colour should be almost white.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Well yeah, that's a point. there's two things though. First off, the shattered areas would take ages to rust, if they would rust at all. And if they did rust, it should've been a orange/brown colour instead of blacksih. Also, it's a magical sword, and has most likely been well tended to, being in the care of the elves and all. Doubt they'd allow it to rust.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”