Dwarven travelling gear

I am planning on making some Dwarven travelling gear and I am hoping to make another set to sell on these forums.

The travelling gear consists of:
Bed roll
tool bag (worn over the back)
Belt (which holds Gimli's bearded axe and has two small pouches)
Gloves (hand carved leather)
Cape (heavy cotton)

I am planning on creating all of this by myself. If anyone has any tips please post them.

I will want to test the strength of the belt before selling it so that no-ones axe gets damaged
Last edited by Lindir on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: Dwarven travelling gear

Sweet project, be sure to post WIP pics. But wouldn't the bedroll be quite useless unless you're dwarf sized? =P
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

now that you come to mention it I was thinking about it. If I ever get round to it I'll give you a pair for a cheep price and throw in the postage for free and you can review them and see if I should continue with it.
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PROJECT UPDATE:

I have just returned from a trip around my town and found this belt buckle. It sort of fits the dwarven style but I want to here what you think. The buckle cost me around £2.00

ALSO:
I have decided to include a cape with the set. I was thinking maybes a heavy cotton (I can't afford anything to e xp ensive). Any other ideas?

Am I allowed to post a link to a belt buckle supplier?
If I am not I will remove it.

Anyways here is the link to a photograph of a buckle set I was also considering for the Dwarven belt.
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/7937.html

Oh and I'll be posting some quick sketches of the belt design later today or early tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

EG,
Attached are links to making Gimli's armor, clothing etc. The links are to AlleyCatScratch which is already in the UCforums under costuming. But here they are anyway. Lots and lots of good ideas.

I'm working on a couple of LOTR clothing and props projects and I use that site all the time. The site is invaluable to making any LOTR related stuff.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Dwarf/Gimli.htm
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Dwa ... /GBelt.htm

Your belt buckles are of a Western motif i.e., cowboy/ranching saddlery and leatherwork common in the Texas, New Mexico , the SW part of the US (my neck of the woods.) Check out the links above and you'll get an idea of the more Dwarven themes of design; angles and sharp lines and such, like Valkrist mentioned.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]The travelling gear consists of:
Bed roll
tool bag (worn over the back)
Belt (which holds Gimli's bearded axe and has two small pouches)
Gloves (hand carved leather)
Cape (heavy cotton)

I am planning on creating all of this by myself. If anyone has any tips please post them.

I will want to test the strength of the belt before selling it so that no-ones axe gets damaged[/quote]

EG,
Re the leatherwork items:
I think the gloves themselves are just plain regular leather gloves.
Are you possibly referring to carving the gauntlets/bracers worn over the forearms and partly covering the hands?

The kind of belt you're thinking about should be 10-12 oz leather, the gauntlets/bracers 6-8 oz leather.
If you're going to carve/tool it get vegetable tanned (veg-tan) leather.
Also, read up on leatherworking and practice on some scraps, unless you're already e xp erinced at it.
Leather 'taint cheap and can be very unforgiving of mistakes.

The cape should be a lightweight wool (or look-a-like synthetic.) It will look more authentic and wear better than cotton.
Try the second-hand shops for a blanket --if you can find one the right color-- and then cut it down to size ('way down for a dwarf :laugh :)

Good luck... it's a pretty ambitious project.

I'm not gonna try act like some kind of e xp ert here, becuase I'm not. But if i where you, get a pewter buckle, or something else in soft metal. ****, culpt your own piece. Carving dwarf runes and **** shound't be hard.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Darlak, you're exactly right. It even tells you how to do that on the AlleyCatScratch site.

But I get the inpression from EG that he's got a budget to adhere to, and so modeling and casting his own might be beyond his means right now.

So if he could find one that's a close facsimile, already made, that might work out better for him at the moment.

Truth be told, though, even the precast look-alike stuff I've seen is pretty spendy. I've come across a few websites that specialize in Nordic (i.e. dwarven) style designs for buckles and brooches and clasps, none of them cheap.

Well, if he has friends in the metalwork business, it shouldn't be a problem. You can also ask some of the guys in here http://coolminiornot.com/

Loads of different garage companies that sculpt miniatures and cast them in tin, you could just sculpy your own buckle in putty or something and toss it over to one of those guys, shouldn't be costy.

Good luck.

EG, check to see if rick cottontree is still in member list and email or PM him.
He has already made a lot of buckles and leather items.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

oh thanks for that I'll check in a moment.

Anyways Here is a pattern idea for the belt. Its basic but similar to some of gimli's and the other dwarves items. It supposed to look similar to braided leather. It was simple to do and the stain finished it off really nicely. Pls leave comments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

oh and here are some quick sketches of the gauntlets which I have decided to include and basic drawing of the belt. NOTE: The belt idea has changed since the drawing was made.

I know the gauntlet is wrong but I want to make it look different (mostly to avoid copyright laws)

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]oh thanks for that I'll check in a moment.

Anyways Here is a pattern idea for the belt. Its basic but similar to some of gimli's and the other dwarves items. It supposed to look similar to braided leather. It was simple to do and the stain finished it off really nicely. Pls leave comments[/quote]
I like the simplicity of the design. Can't wait to see the gauntlets.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

EG
Gauntlet design looks great.
Re the belt....The loop for holding the axe handle needs to be larger, top to bottom. It should probably go from the top edge to the bottom edge of the belt. Then you can rivet/stitch it along both sides. It will also look more rugged and "dwarven" if it's a bit heftier. The way it is currently the weight of the axe will twist and stretch it and could easily pull it loose from the anchor points. Remember, dwarves made things to last a loooong time. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Deimos""]EG
Gauntlet design looks great.
Re the belt....The loop for holding the axe handle needs to be larger, top to bottom. It should probably go from the top edge to the bottom edge of the belt. Then you can rivet/stitch it along both sides. It will also look more rugged and "dwarven" if it's a bit heftier. The way it is currently the weight of the axe will twist and stretch it and could easily pull it loose from the anchor points. Remember, dwarves made things to last a loooong time. :thumbs_up [/quote]
This made me think of saving you some time EG. Go to hardware store and check out carpenters tool belts. In that area there should be accessories such as a hammer holder that your belt slips through. It's probably already a plain piece of leather that you can work and then do all your aging and weathering, and they have real sturdy metal loop for the ax.

[quote=""Thranduil""]This made me think of saving you some time EG. Go to hardware store and check out carpenters tool belts. In that area there should be accessories such as a hammer holder that your belt slips through. It's probably already a plain piece of leather that you can work and then do all your aging and weathering, and they have real sturdy metal loop for the ax.[/quote]

Oh thats a good idea as well. I'm going out on saturday to look for gloves and material so I'll have a look when I'm out.

Also I was thinking of creating the double belt that crosses around Gimli's body and it holds the battle axe on the back. I will have to think about it.

Are the other axes lighter than the battle axe. I know how heavy the battle axe is and don't really want to damage anyones battle axe if it is not made properly.

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]Also I was thinking of creating the double belt that crosses around Gimli's body and it holds the battle axe on the back. I will have to think about it.

Are the other axes lighter than the battle axe. I know how heavy the battle axe is and don't really want to damage anyones battle axe if it is not made properly.[/quote]
Yes the walking ax is much lighter in weight for obvious reasons, I'm sure the bearded ax is even lighter.
The walking ax has a much longer handle than the battle ax.
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

EG,
You didn't say how much e xp erience you have doing leatherwork, but here is a site that gathers a lot of leatherwork info in one place.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/ ... gi?key=587

The members are chainmaille artisans so I would think they know a lot about the type of dwarven style leather armour you are planning to make.

What I meant to convey was that the craftsmen on that site have compiled a lot of info, so (1) you don't have to go hunting everywhere on the web on how to do something, or what kind of tools to use etc.

And (2) since they are e xp erienced, they have already made the mistakes novices make. So if you read what they have done (or email them with questions) they can help you avoid or at least minimize making the same mistakes.

I have decided not to continue with this project as I don't have the money to continue with it. Val if ur there or any other forum supporters please delete this thread

EDIT: Ok scratch that. I had some money spare so I decided to buy some leather. I am going to be continuing with this project and I have already made a start. Instead of doing a tool bag I decided to make like a leather journal case that holds papers and maps. I have aged and distressed it. Will post pics shortly.
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok here is pic of the journal resting near my battle axe.

Hope you like it. If there are things that you dont like about it let me know.

I have aged it using soil and paints. I have also hammered the leather.

I have also started on a practice Dwarven belt. I'll be making the final belt out of thicker leather that is more easier to carve. I'll post pics later of the belt when I have gone a little further with it.

Also here is an Idea I had for the belt buckle:

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/celtic.html
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yup, I think that cover looks awesome and those belt buckles stand on their own.
Great work EG, keep it up. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Elvenguard13""]thanks for the kind words. I was worried that I had overdone it with the distressing[/quote]

Have to agree...it looks very good....very "distressed". :thumbs_up

How did you do it?

[quote=""Deimos""]Have to agree...it looks very good....very "distressed". :thumbs_up

How did you do it?[/quote]

I used soil around the edges then rubbed it back using sand paper and an old rag. Then I used on orange water colour paint and mixed it with brown to make it a little darker and then dabbed it onto certain areas

Nothing to do with the dwarven travelling gear but I made these Jack Sparrow belts that I'd like to show you. I have made them all myself (except the buckles which I bought from ebay). I still need to stain the edges and the back of the Baldric and I need to stain the Anamaria belt.

However I have been told that the buckles I bought are slightly smaller than the ones in the movies.

I just posted them in here coz I didnt want to start a new thread for them. Anyways let me know what you think :)
Last edited by Lindir on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very nicely done! I'm always amazed what steps people take to age stuff. I think it's really awesome to take something new with very little character, and by the time you're done with it, make it look like it's been traveling with someone for decades.

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”