Re: Isildur armor

As usual Rick awesome job! :thumbs_up
Looks great.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Very nice work! Your image of the sword and scabbard hanging on the fence was (I think) the image that brought me to this forum in the first place. I'm not quite ready to tackle something like the armor, but I have been wanting to try my hand at making a scabbard for my Isildur sword since UC won't be making one...(sad face). If you don't mind me asking, do you have more pics of the process? Or possibly some tips suggestions or advice? Thanks!

thanks everyone
rosereIII - all the pics i took are on flickr, sorry i didnt take any more.
the process i use is pretty straight forward=
i do not use wood cores. two pieces of 10 to 12 oz leather cut 1/4 inch larger than the sword all the way round, double stitched making crisscross pattern. i used a drill and bit to make all the stitching holes. wet the leather if you want to do any shaping. 10 oz leather is too thick to shape by pressing against blade, so i shaped mine by hand. dampen the leather when its time to stain it, this will help the stain be more uniform. the brass d-rings are under the stitching. the gold hanger bits are one piece leather stitched together on the back, thru the d-rings. it took a couple tries to get the form for these correct. the chape (tip) is 2 pieces leather, a front and back, sewn together and glued on.
its not a 'proper' scabbard, but its ok to look at and use at ren faires.
 ! Warning
The signature picture extension is not installed.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”