Custom Made Movie Items

Thought I would show a few items that I've created over the past few months.

First is a broken Conan Father's Sword with a display. This is actually an idea that I got from another forum that I was browsing around on. One of the members had made a broken version of the Conan Fathers sword like what Conan raised up after defeating Rexor at the battle of the mounds, and whatr he beheaded Thulsa Doom with. I thought I would give it a try. I am pretty happy with the results:

In the last picture you see a "Wheel of Pain" pendant that I made. The guy in ythe other forum made one from an actual branch. I was unable to find one that I could work with, so I made mine out of modeling epoxy clay and painted it.

The sword is a cheap Chinese knock off. I disassembed it, sharpened the blade and then cut it off to look broken using a cut off wheel and my Dremel. I painted the guard and pommel with a bronze paint, them blacked it by rubbing it with black enamel, then a little dry brushing with a lighter bronze. I re-wrapped the grip using leather and deerskin lace, then re-assembled it all.

I made the alter stand out of multiple layers of MDF, painted it with stone paint and cut the cracks with my Dremel.I may re-do the paint in the cracks. I used a very dark, almost black color and was not too happy with it. I will probably use a medium gray if I do redo it. I embedded magnets in the top of the two stones so the sword could not be knocked off accidentally.

A couple of dyed pelts, and viola!

I will post some pics of the other two projects in a short while.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Re: Custom Made Movie Items

Here is a Rohan shield that I just finished. Now, before anyone points it out....No, it is not meant to be like anything actually seen in any of the LOTR movies. I wanted something in structure along the lines of the Gondorian Shield (parallel boards in an arch), but with a Rohan theme. So, for your viewing Pleaseure (or displeasure):

My first thought was to use paint like on the Gondorian shield, but I decided to stain the wood instead. I cut the top & bottom trim out of sheet aluminum and painted it blacked bronze in the same way I did the broken Conan Father's sword. I attached it using antique rose head nails. The Rohan banner design I cut out of 1/8" MDF on my scroll saw and painted gold. The background board s thinned MDF wrapped with a faux leather fabric. I did not install any handles for use as it is strictly for wall display.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

One last tiny little item. I've been working on a display set up around my "300" King Leonidas helmet and sword. I eventually want his cape wrapped around the stand held together with the brooch. I was going to buy the licensed wolf's tooth necklace, but wile I was making the Conan's Wheel of Pain necklace I decided to try to make my own wolf's tooth necklace out of the epoxy clay. I was very happy with the final result:

It's about 3" long, and tied to a leather cord necklace with smaller guage leather cord.

Cool stuff Steel :thumbs_up
The tooth looks real, I wouldn't know if you hadn't said anything.

The Rohan shield is excellent, love the horse head.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Thanks Shadow. Not sure whats next. I am currently doing some customizing of a couple of swords, but not sure of the next made from scratch project. I'm running out of room for stuff. I may have to take a break for a while. I'm about to get very busy at work, so I may not have a choice. We'll see.

Steel, I trust that shield would be "ceremonial" even if it is actually functional.

That is 'way, 'way too beautiful of a work to ever be used in battle.
Would break my heart to see that horse head onlay hacked at by some hulking uruk-hai.

What kind of wood did you use for the horse head?
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Thanks, Deimos.

It actually would not be very functional as the boards are only 3/8" thick. It would take very little to break. If I do another one it will be at least 1/2" or thicker. Probably 3/4".

The horse head is actualy just cut out of 1/8" MDF with my scroll saw, them primed & painted. It is off of one of the Rohan Great Hall banners from the film.
Last edited by Steel Servant on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Steel Servant""]The horse head is actualy just cut out of 1/8" MDF with my scroll saw, them primed & painted. It is off of one of the Rohan Great Hall banners from the film.[/quote]
Okay, I'm at a loss trying to understand the horse head is 1/8" MDF. It looks a lot closer to 1/4 or 3/8 thick. Is it layered?
Could you give a more detailed e xp lanation, please.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while, been busy with Uni work. Been regularly checking on here as its good to see some of the discussions. Just wanted to share my latest hand made replica! mid-way through making this I saw Kit Rae post some photo's of things UC had considered in the past, which made me want to make this even more! It is a full size Fiberglass resin replica of the Uruk-Hai General helm. I loved the design of the Uruk-Hai stuff from the word go, and was dismayed when UC only launched the sword (I understand that the Helms may not have done well enough to keep making them) so I made my own! Pretty pleased with how its turned out

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/2165/img2117vs.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/3718/img2124m.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img72/3856/64418 ... 518049.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/2683/6445 ... 630491.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/9835/1395 ... 480494.jpg

Thanks N2, I'm glad this one worked out. I've still got the molds etc for this one so I may attempt variations of this helm, perhaps vary the master mold and create a berserker one. that, and a Rohan Royal Shield perhaps. I'd love to do the three Uruk/Galadhrim/Rohan helmets some day! It all depends on having the time really, it may seem strange but coming to the end of my TV and Film design degree doesn't allow me much time to create replica props unfortunately! :P

Unfortunately we don't no, the official title of the course is 'Film and TV set design' and it focuses on concept/development/design of sets, we have to produce the technical drawings for our sets and produce scale models, nothing actually gets built and no prop making :/ As such, all the things I make, I teach myself the skills, usually by looking online. I guess I see it as a sideline to my studies, getting ready to work in the industry when I graduate. Thanks for the compliments, it's good to hear compliments from people who know what these kind of items are!

[quote=""Jamie Shakespeare""]Unfortunately we don't no, the official title of the course is 'Film and TV set design' and it focuses on concept/development/design of sets, we have to produce the technical drawings for our sets and produce scale models, nothing actually gets built and no prop making :/ As such, all the things I make, I teach myself the skills, usually by looking online. I guess I see it as a sideline to my studies, getting ready to work in the industry when I graduate. Thanks for the compliments, it's good to hear compliments from people who know what these kind of items are![/quote]

That's a shame :| but the course still sounds really interesting. It's amazing work for being self taught, I look forward to see what other items you make in the future :)

I wanted to do prop design for film and tv, but I got myself into photography. So now I want to do the stills for movies and tv :P

Would you be willing to share some photos of your models and set designs you have done on your course once you have finished? It would be really interesting to see them :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Here's a few more images :) I'm thinking of doing a Theoden helm for my next project, has anyone tried this before? If so, any hints or tips? Much appreciated :)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/dsc8619w.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/dsc8618j.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/dsc8614n.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/dsc8600c.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/dsc8593g.jpg/

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Nice work! My tips and tricks include ask Thrand, ask Thrand, and ask Thrand. Good luck! :laugh: [/quote]
That's a fine compliment.
Thanks Fin! :thumbs_up

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”