Death Eater Mask Project

Note: I did not build this mask from scratch

Ok so a few years back I bought this toy Death Eater voice changing mask. It was released over here the UK when the Order of the Phoenix was released back in 2007.

The mask is quite hard, there is a little bit of flex in it but its mostly rigid. I had been wanting to customise it for a while but was worried that I would completely ruin the mask. But finally I decided I would do it.

The first thing I did was to remove the voice changer and all the plastic pegs from inside the mask using a dremel. This took me about an hour and a half to do. The mask now sits very comfortably over my face. I then began sanding the paint on the mask. I used a fine grit sandpaper and used it all over the front of the mask. The pattern that was originally on the mask was slightly raised so I smoothed it down with the sand paper.

Sanding the mask took a few hours. I decided it would be best to do it by hand as I lose control of power tools very easily and I could have wrecked the entire thing.

Once I had finished sanding, I drilled three holes in the mouth area. Each death eater has their own mouth style and I decided to go for a simple unhappy face.

Following on from this I bought some filler. The filler I bought was to be used on cars, it's flexible which is what I need, as I said the plastic is slightly flexible and the filler would probably crack if it wasn't the right type.

Taking the filler, I covered the speaker holes and the mouth slots.

The holes in the mouth that I had drilled were still visible from the inside of the mask so drilling those out again was easy once the filler had dried.

Once all this was done I took a piece of finer sand paper and sanded the entire mask down once again.

I am currently waiting for paints to be delivered and will post more progress photos as I continue through this project.

let me know what you think :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lindir on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: Death Eater Project

It's going to be cool to see how you paint this, looking forward to seeing it finished EG.
Looking good :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I'm looking forward to getting on with it haha, just waiting for the paints to be delivered

Another piece that I have been working on is the boots. In the Order of the Phoenix the death eaters have tall boots, but I found a death eater from the Deathly Hallows who is wearing what look like military boots. I picked up a pair of faux leather military boots in black a few months back and decided to do some distressing on them.

I began using acetone to take the shine off them, then I rubbed the boots down very gently with a piece of fine sand paper. I didn't do it too much incase the backing on the material began to show through. The acetone also gave the material a cracked finish.

I then took the boots outside and rubbed dirt over them. The dirt got into the cracks and really gives it depth and makes them look older. I am currently leaving them out in the sun to fade the colour a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yep that's my plan. Museum replicas is coming out with their death eater ensemble this month so I'm hoping to buy it from them. The only other piece that I'll be making is the wand holster. I found some good pics and have some ideas for something that would be unique to me. But we'll see how the mask turns out first and what the quality of the Museum replicas death eater costume is like

I covered the mask in a grey primer. Now need to leave it to dry for 3-4 hours before giving it a light sanding and then paint it. I may, depending on the weather, have at least one coat of paint on it before the end of the day.

I am nearly finished the mask. Only need to spray it with lacquer now. The pattern was a pain to do. I started off with this large sticker, when I placed the sticker over the mask I smoothed it down as best I could but it wouldn't work. I was thinking of using a silver paint and perhaps using the sticker as a stencil and fill in the gaps and then when I peel it off, there will still be a pattern there. Only problem was, I didn't have any money to buy silver paint.

Then I decided to use the inserts or whatever they're called and fill in the gaps. Because they were smaller, they easily formed around the curves of the top of the mask. It took me about an hour and a half to stick all the pieces in (I think its a bit wonky though :( ) then I very gently, using a craft knife, peeled the outline away and was left with a really cool pattern. The pattern is silver by the way, it looks more white in the photograph.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”