Re: Palantir?

Deimos wrote: Thank you...I've been thinking for the past year about getting a HVLP sprayer .... I guess that decision has just been finalized. ...meaning, I get to buy a new tool also! :D
I used an entry level one from Rockler for many years, even spayed an entire kitchen I build for my uncle with it. You can even find it on sale once in a while. I also use water based polyurethane just for the ease of clean up, but does have a tendency to cause wood grain to rise.

http://www.rockler.com/hvlp-spray-system

N2darkness wrote: I used an entry level one from Rockler for many years, even spayed an entire kitchen I build for my uncle with it. You can even find it on sale once in a while. I also use water based polyurethane just for the ease of clean up, but does have a tendency to cause wood grain to rise.

http://www.rockler.com/hvlp-spray-system
Yes, I have been eyeing one at Woodcraft (close to home), but I have also seen them in email ads from Rockler (not so close to home).
The Water based polycoat wouldn't cause the grain to rise in this case, would it?
The surface is already sealed with the primer, base coat, and top coat(s)...correct?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well in your case you will just have primer. After you base coat and then apply 1 or 2 coats of poly you will still have to lightly sand due to some surface debris (I use a 320 grit sanding sponge) and use a slightly damp tack cloth to wipe off the fine dust and then apply the final top coat.

I like the idea of the felt, so that the base won't scratch the table I'm putting it on. The silk cover sounds like the ultimate touch for dramatic purposes, but I feel that if you just leave it on, then it's going to spoil the purpose of the display, which is to show off the palantir. Still, it would be cool to whip off that silk cover when friends come over. How much would that add to the cost?
This Space for Rent

No silk for mine (Black felt --yes)
I will have three Palantiri, each one in a different part of the house, and they will all be in communication with each other, so I don't want any of them covered.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos, are you sure you're feeling ok? I haven't heard of any outbreaks of fever in Arizona... :huh:

Having said that, have you assigned a ME designation to each of your three palantiri? The new one will be the Orthanc stone for sure, but the others? I would make the obsidian one the Ithil stone, which Sauron kept at Barad-dur, and the one you got from John recently could be the Anor stone in Minas Tirith, which ensnared Denethor. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Bases are finally finished! :cheering: Shipped out Deimos's yesterday and will be getting the rest packed up and shipping notices out to the rest of you. I applied the felt to the chamfered area where the sphere will sit and seems to work without the sphere hitting any of the hard edges. There does seem to be an issue with the adhesive backed felt not sticking to the semi-gloss top coat very well, so I will include the pieces to be put on before you place the sphere on the base to keep them in position. CA or super glue couple be used as well.

I'll get some better photos in the next few days, just wanted some picture for the update.

Photo is a bit dark I'm afraid and I don't have the skills of Arwyniel, Lindor and others (or the camera for that matter). Anyway, the stars aligned today bringing two related items to me from different parts of the world.

Fantastic work by John and N2D. It is a great display.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”