Palantir?

Has anyone found a reasonable, cost-effective way to create a prop Palentir? I'm seeking suggestions and recommended links that may help me in my quest to add a decent approximation of a Palentir to my LOTR collection.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Palantir?

[quote=""Buckeye""]Has anyone found a reasonable, cost-effective way to create a prop Palentir? I'm seeking suggestions and recommended links that may help me in my quest to add a decent approximation of a Palentir to my LOTR collection.[/quote]
I suppose it would depend on which palantir you wanted to recreate - some were small, other were quite large (master stones). But for the Orthanc stone, I would think your best bet would be to start with obsidian spheres, as these are readily available from gemstone shops. Typically, the larger the diameter, the more e xp ensive. You can also find them on ebay, although the quality/materials might be questionable/subpar.

[quote=""Nerdanel""]I suppose it would depend on which palantir you wanted to recreate - some were small, other were quite large (master stones). But for the Orthanc stone, I would think your best bet would be to start with obsidian spheres, as these are readily available from gemstone shops. Typically, the larger the diameter, the more e xp ensive. You can also find them on ebay, although the quality/materials might be questionable/subpar. [/quote]

An excellent and attractive suggestion, but he price on obsidian stones -- even small ones -- is quite steep. I was hoping to approximate a master stone size-wise, so an obsidian stone would be price prohibitive.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]An excellent and attractive suggestion, but he price on obsidian stones -- even small ones -- is quite steep. I was hoping to approximate a master stone size-wise, so an obsidian stone would be price prohibitive.[/quote]

Smallest one in the stories was about a foot in diameter (Olorin, Val, or Fin can correct me here if I read that wrong).

Movie size was smaller than that, maybe 8 inch diameter?
So how much does an obsidian stone that big go for?
And are we talking one already spherical, or even roughly spherical?
Lot's of grinding and polishing might be needed..... :P

Or are you talking about crafting one from resin, or cold-casting one?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Smallest one in the stories was about a foot in diameter (Olorin, Val, or Fin can correct me here if I read that wrong).

Movie size was smaller than that, maybe 8 inch diameter?
So how much does an obsidian stone that big go for?
And are we talking one already spherical, or even roughly spherical?
Lot's of grinding and polishing might be needed..... :P

Or are you talking about crafting one from resin, or cold-casting one?[/quote]

I'm thinking something in the 8-10-inch diameter size range, already spherical. The material used is dependent on cost. The obsidian stones I've seem are only a few inches in diameter and go for several hundred dollars (USD).

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]I'm thinking something in the 8-10-inch diameter size range, already spherical. The material used is dependent on cost. The obsidian stones I've seem are only a few inches in diameter and go for several hundred dollars (USD).[/quote]
You can find more decently priced obsidian spheres in the 6 inch range. I'm biased because I like the look and feel of natural materials (and have no e xp erience with something like resin). You just have to keep in mind that every 3x increase in radius results in a 27x increase in volume. :nerd moment: It gets hard, and e xp ensive, to find and polish volcanic glass that large.

For something larger in the 8 inch range, I might recommend "black" petrified wood, but you do lose some of the color accuracy. For example: http://www.minertown.com/market/polishe ... ere-11.htm

I have no idea if that particular item is still in stock, or if the seller would even be reliable (as am.dk has pointed out). You'd have to turn it so you wouldn't see the lighter "islands".

[quote=""Buckeye""]I'm thinking something in the 8-10-inch diameter size range, already spherical. The material used is dependent on cost. The obsidian stones I've seem are only a few inches in diameter and go for several hundred dollars (USD).[/quote]

I'm revising my overly large size estimate... I think I would be happy with something decent in the 6- or 7- inch diameter range.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

After a lot of looking and pricing, I managed to find a decently priced obsidian orb. It's a little over 5" in diameter and works very nicely (at least for me) as a stand-in for the Orthanc stone. :thumbs_up

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""N2darkness""]I'd be interested in pictures of what you have found along with price.[/quote]

After this thread was started I began doing some sleuthing...

Despite what is shown in the LOTR movies the palantiri were all obsidian type black stones. Having said that let me add that I really, really like the way the Orthanc stone was portrayed in the movie with the deep cloudy blue colouring (when Sauron's eye wasn't in it, that is).

I found a brand new black obsidian 6.5 inch stone (not scratched like the one on ebay) for $150, shipping was free, at Mama's Minerals in Albuquerque.
They apparently have quite a few in their brick and mortar store, but ones for internet sales come and go....mine was the only one of that size at the time.

Wherever you get it from try to get Mexican black obsidian which is the better (if not the best?) quality obsidian.

Give me a few hours or so and I will post pics....(got to do laundry right now :P )

Well, so much for my scoop. <sigh> Deimos has beaten me to it, and has the correct size stone, to boot (my guess is that mine is about 1" shy of the one in the movie, but it's what I could afford right now). :|

I guess it won't be helpful to post any pics of my inferior orb now. On a positive note, though, my stone is made of the good Mexican obsidian.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]Well, so much for my scoop. <sigh> Deimos has beaten me to it, and has the correct size stone, to boot (my guess is that mine is about 1" shy of the one in the movie, but it's what I could afford right now). :|

I guess it won't be helpful to post any pics of my inferior orb now. On a positive note, though, my stone is made of the good Mexican obsidian.[/quote]

Oh, Buckeye, STOP IT! :D

1) I am at the moment going by memory (it's back in the box it came in)
I do think mine is 6.5" but it may be 6".
But for certain it is not smaller than 6" nor larger than 6.5".

2) As far as being the correct [movie] size, I really do think around 8-8.5 inches is closer. But anything that size would be cost prohibitive, at least for me.

3) Post your pics anyway, even though it is smaller.
I am looking into getting one more colored like the Orthanc movie palantir, and one so colored and 4.5" in diameter is about $500.
One around 8" would be pushing up towards $900, :'( which I am unwilling to spend, though I would dearly love to own it.

Okay, here is a pic of mine. It's already full dark here in eastern Virginia, so I can only share an image taken in artificial light. I'll see if I can get a better daylight pic tomorrow. My orb is the first link. The second link is a reference screen cap from TTT.

I purchased this obsidian sphere on eBay from Rosman Rocks and Minerals (El Paso, TX) for $100 plus shipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]Okay, here is a pic of mine. It's already full dark here in eastern Virginia, so I can only share an image taken in artificial light. I'll see if I can get a better daylight pic tomorrow. My orb is the first link. The second link is a reference screen cap from TTT.

I purchased this obsidian sphere on eBay from Rosman Rocks and Minerals (El Paso, TX) for $100 plus shipping.[/quote]

Looks a lot like mine. Without any other reference point (like maybe a golf ball next to it) there's no way to estimate the size from the pic.
So it looks great.

Another thought about the size...Christopher Lee is one big guy, even though he's now somewhat stooped with age.
So he's got pretty big hands.
It's hard to judge the size of the movie palantir from the scenes where Lee's hand is over it.

Find a shot where Aragorn is holding it while at Minas Tirith when he contends with Sauron...that may present a better idea of the diameter.

[quote=""Deimos""]Looks a lot like mine. Without any other reference point (like maybe a golf ball next to it) there's no way to estimate the size from the pic.
So it looks great.[/quote]

I don't have a golfball, but here's a pic of it next to a MLB regulation size baseball. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]I don't have a golfball, but here's a pic of it next to a MLB regulation size baseball. :) [/quote]

Still looks a lot like mine :D

Does yours have very faint, and I mean very faint, cloud swirls circling it, but seeming in its depths?

Mine does, but there are only a few and they are very faint an wispy.
When i was reading about obsidian it said this is normal.
I had to study mine a bit before the wisps become barely noticeable....pretty neat.

OK, here is pic of my "palantir".
There's only one because it's not like it looks different from differernt angles . (Nice reflection of the camera too) :D
And you can't see the faint wispy swirls in it unless you are very close to it and the light hits it just right.
I didn't have a golf ball so I set a battery next to it for size reference.
It is 6 inches in diameter.
I am pleased with it and think it was a good buy. :)
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Thanks for all the photos and info. I hope to find one for a decent price and make a display for it. My idea was to make the very top of Saruman plinth where he has his.[/quote]

Knew it, knew it, KNEW IT! :D

I knew you had something like that in mind quite some time ago, soooo....
I drew up the design that is on the top of the plinth after I got my sphere....orb.....thing.

Your lighted plexiglass "Durin's Door" gave me the idea: get a piece of black plexiglass and etch the plinth design into it, along with cutting the round hole for the sphere and then the outside shape as well.
For the record, a good size piece of black plexiglass ain't cheap.

N2, let me know what you come up with for the surface design .
I watched the Orthanc Palantir sequence over and over until I was pretty sure I nailed the pattern down.
It basically turned out to be (as I saw it) three offset squares and a few extra lines drawn in.

But I'm curious as to what you see it as.

[quote=""Deimos""]Knew it, knew it, KNEW IT! :D

I knew you had something like that in mind quite some time ago, soooo....
I drew up the design that is on the top of the plinth after I got my sphere....orb.....thing.

Your lighted plexiglass "Durin's Door" gave me the idea: get a piece of black plexiglass and etch the plinth design into it, along with cutting the round hole for the sphere and then the outside shape as well.
For the record, a good size piece of black plexiglass ain't cheap.

N2, let me know what you come up with for the surface design .
I watched the Orthanc Palantir sequence over and over until I was pretty sure I nailed the pattern down.
It basically turned out to be (as I saw it) three offset squares and a few extra lines drawn in.

But I'm curious as to what you see it as.[/quote]

Here is a picture of my Sideshow/Weta statue and it shows it pretty well. I was going to make it about 4 inches tall and cut out the outside areas and put in the slanted parts as well. Would actually make a rather large display.

I think your idea of black plexi could work but, maybe too shinny as well as hard to get the straight lines needed. I was going to just use MDF and slightly texture and paint it.

As with Val, if anyone finds one for a decent price let me know too. :)

N2Darkness... After seeing your Durin's Door mentioned in this thread, I searched for it. VERY cool! Can I ask how you made it?

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""N2darkness""]Here is a picture of my Sideshow/Weta statue and it shows it pretty well. I was going to make it about 4 inches tall and cut out the outside areas and put in the slanted parts as well. Would actually make a rather large display.

I think your idea of black plexi could work but, maybe too shinny as well as hard to get the straight lines needed. I was going to just use MDF and slightly texture and paint it.

As with Val, if anyone finds one for a decent price let me know too. :)

[/quote]

Yep, that design on top is exactly what I [finally!] was able to discern from watching the orthanc scene (over and over and over.... :P )

As far as the top being shiny, pull out your dvd and watch the scene.. to me, anyway, the surface of the plinth/support looks very polished, as if it is also an obsidian-like material.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for posting those three screen shots, N2.
It is definitely the third one that gave me the impression of a polished obsidian surface.
The other two do look more like a smooth granite type stone.

But I prefer the polished look. I may try for that since I have the design finished.

You mentioned the difficulty of cutting a straignt line in acrylic (with the Dremel, I assume).
What about using some kind of a rigid guide and bracing the Dremel against it (not unlike using a fence on table saw for a long straight cut)

You can definitely give it a try. The other thing you need to be concerned with using acrylic is when you cut it, it will have a white edge and will have to be sanded smooth and then use a torch to melt it back to a gloss finish. You may want to try this on a piece of scrap first.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Found one I have been looking at for awhile now and he accepted my offer of $150 should be here next week. Now to find the time to make a display base.[/quote]

First, congrats on the purchase, N2. Yours shows up the rings a bit better than mine (or maybe it's just the light)

Second, HAHAHAHAHA...."....find the time to make a display base."
You can't fool us, N2. If you can't find the time, you'll make the time to craft an over-the-top-to-die-for display for your Palantir.

We know you too well. :)

[quote=""Deimos""]First, congrats on the purchase, N2. Yours shows up the rings a bit better than mine (or maybe it's just the light)

Second, HAHAHAHAHA...."....find the time to make a display base."
You can't fool us, N2. If you can't find the time, you'll make the time to craft an over-the-top-to-die-for display for your Palantir.

We know you too well. :) [/quote]

Super busy right now, finishing a custom kitchen for my Uncle, have a job interview tomorrow ( hope all goes well and be starting a new job soon) as well as a few custom jobs that need to get done before I can start on anything for myself.

Anyway I was also contemplating on just making a small shelf or tabletop display or go all out and make a full size palantir stand, but I really don't think I have a place to put it. :|

[quote=""N2darkness""]Anyway I was also contemplating on just making a small shelf or tabletop display or go all out and make a full size palantir stand, but I really don't think I have a place to put it. :| [/quote]
Time to consider knocking out some walls N2!

(Yeah, I know, it would require digging & pouring concrete ;) )
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I see a few comments about the movie version being 8-9" in diameter? I don't think so.

Look at the creepy finger nail picture right... Let's say you stretched your fingers in the total opposite directions, but remember he is still curling the fingers which is losing length. Now, I know I don't have the largest hands in the world but my curled diagonal length is NOT longer than the width standard sheet of sheet of paper (8.5").

I genuinely think the 6-6.5" range is more accurate. Just by reference.

Don't forget this pic:

The average American bowling ball has a diameter of 8.5" and call me small handed if you wish, but I know I certainly cannot cup my hand like this^^^^^ under my bowling ball. I think the 6-6.5" for movie standards is solid :)
Last edited by RevAnakin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Sorry Val, didn't even realize you had pics.[/quote]

That's because they were there when I made the post, and some time after that the source disabled remote linking. I managed to put one back up but the perspective on the one you have is much better. On mine you can sort of gauge how wide the globe is by comparing it with your Anduril hilt for scale.

And it's gone again. Forget it.
Last edited by Valkrist on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

@Rev, I think you're right about it not being 8" (or more) in diameter.

But I still think it's bigger than 6.5"....I'd say at least 7", up to maybe 7.5

btw, I measured the circumference of mine....easier then trying to measure the diameter directly (I don't have calipers that big).
My palantir is 6.11 inches in diameter. And I am OK with that! :)

[quote=""Deimos""]@Rev, I think you're right about it not being 8" (or more) in diameter.

But I still think it's bigger than 6.5"....I'd say at least 7", up to maybe 7.5

btw, I measured the circumference of mine....easier then trying to measure the diameter directly (I don't have calipers that big).
My palantir is 6.11 inches in diameter. And I am OK with that! :) [/quote]
I have to agree it has to be at least 7".
I have no idea how big Vitto's hands are, but when I cup my hand the way he holds it in the pic, the distance between my little finger and thumb is 7". So judging by the size of the Palantir in his hand I'd have to say 8" is not out of the question.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”