Re: Palantir?

Updated with rapper bowling pictures lol. But giving that bowling balls are 8.5" in diameter... that palantir looks way smaller.

Now, the prop that Billy Boyd held was probably 8.5 or larger to make him look smaller but not the Saruman/Aragorn one.

And now I love math for sure!

I used my size 10 Ring of Barahir as the real reference. I measured the ring height that should not vary greatly with size nor between the movie and the prop. Hence the .25" deviation. For those who do not know, three dots in a triangle means, "therefore" in mathematics.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]First, congrats on the purchase, N2. Yours shows up the rings a bit better than mine (or maybe it's just the light)

Second, HAHAHAHAHA...."....find the time to make a display base."
You can't fool us, N2. If you can't find the time, you'll make the time to craft an over-the-top-to-die-for display for your Palantir.

We know you too well. :) [/quote]

Well, found some free time to work on my base. Here is the shape and size along with the top design routed in. I already filled in the empty spaces with e xp anding foam (drying now) and will cover in bondo and ready for primer. Hopefully be done in a few days.

Wow, that's gonna look awesome! What type of paint and colour do you have in mind to best match the stand in the movie? Good thing you have the Saruman statue for reference! :thumbs_up

Save up the plans for that thing! Once I have my own Palantir, I would love that base to go with it. ;)
This Space for Rent

You know I'm not really sure besides black. I've got some flat and gloss spray paint and can clear coat to just about any sheen. I'm leaning for semi-gloss right now.

Also my base is slightly smaller scale than 1:1 as I did some calculation with my Palantir and the 1:6 Saruman statue and it would have been over 25 inches in circumference. Way to big for me to display. I shrunk it down to 18 inches and I think it fits nicely for a good display.

I also want to add a black cloth or material to it as well to have it draped behind it or slightly covered up.

I'll add it to your list Val ;)

[quote=""N2darkness""]Well, found some free time to work on my base. Here is the shape and size along with the top design routed in. I already filled in the empty spaces with e xp anding foam (drying now) and will cover in bondo and ready for primer. Hopefully be done in a few days. [/quote]

True to character, N2, you did not disappoint.

It's not even finished yet and it's already an "over-the-top-to-die-for" display. :D

A few observations/questions:

You are right about the dimensional proportions.
When I drew my layout for a 6 inch diameter Palantir, and using only the film for reference, I came up with about a 22 inch diameter pedestal surface.
But I am going to keep mine to scale ....I have the perfect place for it where it will easily fit.

The surface is MDF, yes? No? .
Previously you mentioned slightly texturing the surface to make it look like stone.
Did you do that? It's not really clear in the pic.

For the design you used a router and not a dremel?

What "empty spaces" did you fill? Or is that step not yet shown in the pics?

Are you going to add the alternating downward sloping sections of the pedestal?
(Or is that where the e xp anding foam is now drying?)

Is the Palantir just sitting in the middle or did you make a cutout for it?

So far, really well done...Can't wait to see the paint job! :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]True to character, N2, you did not disappoint.

It's not even finished yet and it's already an "over-the-top-to-die-for" display. :D

A few observations/questions:

You are right about the dimensional proportions.
When I drew my layout for a 6 inch diameter Palantir, and using only the film for reference, I came up with about a 22 inch diameter pedestal surface.
But I am going to keep mine to scale ....I have the perfect place for it where it will easily fit.

The surface is MDF, yes? No? .
Previously you mentioned slightly texturing the surface to make it look like stone.
Did you do that? It's not really clear in the pic.

For the design you used a router and not a dremel?

What "empty spaces" did you fill? Or is that step not yet shown in the pics?

Are you going to add the alternating downward sloping sections of the pedestal?
(Or is that where the e xp anding foam is now drying?)

Is the Palantir just sitting in the middle or did you make a cutout for it?

So far, really well done...Can't wait to see the paint job! :) [/quote]

Yes it is made of MDF. The textured areas are the slanted spots that are being filed with the e xp anding foam and to be cut and shaped then covered with bondo. Thous areas will be textured and if you look at the close up picture I posted earlier in this thread of the SS Weta statue you can see it looks like its carved or hand scrapped. I think this will be very easy to achieve with the foam and bondo.

As for using a router to make the design. I went back and forth with different options (even went and spent $30 on Dremel attachments to see if it would work) and the router bit I happen to have ended up looking the best as well as cutting much smother then the Dremel as well. It was a little tedious doing all of the straight edge set-up for each line, but turned out well. You need a rather wide V shaped bit.

The center has a 2 inch hole cut out for the Palantir to rest. I actually started with the hole first, which in hindsight was a lot harder to draw out the rest of the design with no center point of reference.

Hopefully I will get this painted in a few days. Pics to follow.

Thanks for the detailed info...very helpful. :)

[quote=""N2darkness""]...The center has a 2 inch hole cut out for the Palantir to rest. I actually started with the hole first, which in hindsight was a lot harder to draw out the rest of the design with no center point of reference. [/quote]

Too funny....yes, the protractor was my friend, and it would have been pretty frustrating had I tried to draw all those angles without a center reference point. :D

Ok, here is an update. Did quite a bit of work yesterday. Added a 1/4 inch bottom and bondo. Lots of sanding and a first primer coat. Tried to do some texture on the ends, but think I'll try some more before final paint. Coming along nicely. :)

Last edited by N2darkness on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looking pretty awesome! :thumbs_up

I don't see any texturing around the outer upper rim that forms the top shelf. Is this intentional? Just curious because it makes it appear as if the 'stone' is not all in one block, which I think is what it's supposed to be in the movie.

Also, could you take a photo of the stand without the stone on it? I'm curious to see what the resting place for the palantir looks like. I always imagined it would be like a concave depression in the stone, shaped perfectly to accomodate it so it wouldn't roll off easily.
This Space for Rent

Can't wait to see the finished product N2!
Awesome work as usual :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Valkrist""]Looking pretty awesome! :thumbs_up

I don't see any texturing around the outer upper rim that forms the top shelf. Is this intentional? Just curious because it makes it appear as if the 'stone' is not all in one block, which I think is what it's supposed to be in the movie.

Also, could you take a photo of the stand without the stone on it? I'm curious to see what the resting place for the palantir looks like. I always imagined it would be like a concave depression in the stone, shaped perfectly to accomodate it so it wouldn't roll off easily.[/quote]

There is some texture there, just not much as I was scared of getting to close to the edge. When its done it will look as if it is one piece. There is a 2 inch hole in the base where the sphere sits. I'll post another pic tomorrow when I get home.

Alright, after plenty of sanding and filling and more sanding I put my first coat of gloss black on. Still drying and has a few blemishes that will need to be fixed. Also a shot with out the Palantir on it so you can see the hole. I complete understand where Val is coming from with the concave spot for the sphere to sit, but much too time consuming to do as you'll never see it.

And another with the Palantir after it has dried a bit.

Last edited by N2darkness on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well you've done it again N2!
My hat is totally off for you on this one.
The display space is perfect below Saruman, makes you think you stole it from the film! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Yep...pretty much another "over-the-top-to-die-for" display, N2.

It's perfectly situated with Saruman, Grima and Gandalf nearby, and of course, Orthanc itself.

Well done...very well done.

And I especially like the obvious swirls in your Palantir.
The swirls in mine are not nearly so visible.

dzwasfexrcgthhhhhhhhhhhhmlbkuyjvytrdc hg

(That was me wiping the drool off my keyboard!) Very nice work.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""N2darkness""]Thinking $80-100 plus shipping.[/quote]

:O

Way too good to pass up...put my name on the list (mine will require a little customization but am more than willing to pay a praemium for that)

Now that John has shown me photos of my finished Palantir, I feel like only N2's stand can do justice to properly display it. I think it will make the perfect centre piece for my black table. Put me down for one as well, no modifications that I can think of at the moment. I would love to have the bowl-shaped depression instead of a hole, but I think that would be too much work and make it too costly in the end.
This Space for Rent

VAl, will you be placing any "under-lighting" beneath it at all?
Or are you relying on ambient light?

I will definitely test it and see what kind of effect under-lighting it produces. Since I presume N2's base is very much hollow underneath, it should be easy to install a battery powered LED light. I already have a few LED pucks in my display room controlled by remote, so it will be an easy matter to add another.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Deimos""] :O

Way too good to pass up...put my name on the list (mine will require a little customization but am more than willing to pay a praemium for that)[/quote]

I'm curious as to the customizations you would like. As I'm now looking at making at least 3, I'm wondering on the variations.

[quote=""Valkrist""]I will definitely test it and see what kind of effect under-lighting it produces. Since I presume N2's base is very much hollow underneath, it should be easy to install a battery powered LED light. I already have a few LED pucks in my display room controlled by remote, so it will be an easy matter to add another.[/quote]

It's hollow, but there is also some support blocks in there to keep it from sagging due to the weight. At least with the obsidian it was quite heavy.

So I don't get some of the names lost from both threads, the interest list is currently:

Arwyniel
Valkrist
Idril
Deimos
Revanakin
Last edited by N2darkness on Wed May 06, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I figured there would be some support system. I don't think John's Palantir will be light either. Before you begin mine sometime in the future, I will give you the diameter of the lights I use so that you can make sure the area underneath the hole is large enough.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""N2darkness""]I'm curious as to the customizations you would like. As I'm now looking at making at least 3, I'm wondering on the variations.[/quote]

1)Slightly larger diameter ...20 inches. I have a round 24 inch end table, (which may just become the centerpiece of the whole room :) )

2) a larger design (the lines).
Question: (well, preliminary statement, then the question)...you can see that the "chiseled" design is 3 squares, each one offset by 30 degrees.
(there are a few extra lines drawn connecting some of the adjacent corners)

Your palantir has a diameter of 6.5 inches; mine is a 6 inch diameter.
When I drew my squares I made them slightly larger than yours, even accounting for your palantir being larger than mine.
So, how long is one of your squares on a side?
Mine are 9.9 inches, and that length is pretty much what I would want to go with for the size of the squares.

The squares are 8" long on mine and that is with the 18" diameter. The way I originally made the design was to made a plywood square shorter that the offset of the width of my router base to the center of the bit and just went around the entire thing, moved the 30 degrees and repeated. I would only have to make a slight larger square template for yours, no problem at all.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]According to his ebay listing, it weighs just under 5 pounds. :) [/quote]

And I believe the obsidian spheres weigh in at close to 10 lbs
Last edited by Deimos on Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Wow! Really? I had no idea they were that heavy.[/quote]

I need both hands to lift it.
I think I will weigh it when I get home.

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Very curious about the exact weight in kg please not in pound tnx. :thumbs_up [/quote]

9.6 lbs for a 6 inch obsidian sphere.
Since N2's is 6.5 inches , his weighs more than 10 lbs

Dark, you lazybones!
Just divide any number of pounds by 2.2 and you'll get the equivalent weight in kg.

But.... *sigh* I will do it for you.
9.6 lbs is 4.363636363636363636363636363636363636363636364.....kg :D

[quote=""N2darkness""]The squares are 8" long on mine and that is with the 18" diameter. The way I originally made the design was to made a plywood square shorter that the offset of the width of my router base to the center of the bit and just went around the entire thing, moved the 30 degrees and repeated. I would only have to make a slight larger square template for yours, no problem at all.[/quote]

Thank you....you are a very accommodating customizer! :)
Actually 9.9 inches would be the max length.
Anything between 9.5 and 9.9 would work.

What happened was that I set the sphere in the middle of a 20 inch diameter circle, then drew the squares proportional to both the circle but also (as I saw it) to my 6 inch palantir sitting in the middle of the squares.

And I saw that I needed to make them a little farther away from the sphere than the way you did yours, even accounting for your sphere being slightly larger.
And when I was happy with the overall look of it, I measured the sides, and it just happened that they were 9.9 inches.

But if it were anywhere from 9.5. to 9.9, I don't think it would make much difference ...at least, I certainly wouldn't be able to see that difference .

Meaning, don't knock yourself out trying to get it exactly 9.9 inches on a side. ;)
Last edited by Deimos on Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm pretty sure I can get close to the 9.9, it will just involve a little math :laugh:

There is also 2 other changes I plan making to these to help improve accuracy (at least to the SSW statue) one is to make the stone divots a little more pronounce on the ends of the 6 rectangular pieces around the edge will also stick out passed the slanted areas just a little bit making them look separate. I was also planning on making the entire thing taller, closer to 5 inches instead of the 3 it currently is.

I'm going to also look into John's suggestions for where the Palantir sits. As it is currently just a 2 inch hole and the sphere rests upon the edges of that circle I can either put a radius or chamfer on the top edge to reduce the sharp edge that may make a mark. Felt could be applied, but I'm afraid you would see it as it would raise the sphere slightly. If anyone else has some suggestions I'm all ears.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”