Re: Reference pics 2nd age High Elven Warrior

Hi,

Yes as far as I know they are they same bow, but I am no e xp ert. I just purchased a set or replica 2nd age elven warrior armor and since it is nearly impossible to get a hold of a elven warrior sword in the U.K I thought i'd go with an archer.

I'm finding it really difficult to find any good pics of the quiver and bow.
This is all I could find.

I would prefer to buy a bow but wouldn't mind attempting to make one.

I recently purchased a set of 2nd age armor, the pics below are from the maker but mine is the same. It needs a new paint job but it will do for now.

I am also looking for good clear pics of this buckle, I believe it was also used on 3rd age elven warriors.

Karl.

I was lucky enough to pick this armor up from another collector, I didn't buy it directly from the maker. After doing a bit of reasearch, shadowdalecreations doesn't have the best reputation.

Thank you for the help any pictures you have would be much appreciated.

I just had this 3D model made up so I can get started on my arrows.
It can be purchsed here: http://shpws.me/nzMv

Made to fit a 8mm 5/16 shaft, depth 25mm 1"

Last edited by spacemarine on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""spacemarine""]I was lucky enough to pick this armor up from another collector, I didn't buy it directly from the maker. After doing a bit of reasearch, shadowdalecreations doesn't have the best reputation.

Thank you for the help any pictures you have would be much appreciated.

I just had this 3D model made up so I can get started on my arrows.
It can be purchsed here: http://shpws.me/nzMv

Made to fit a 8mm 5/16 shaft, depth 25mm 1" [/quote]

What are the arrowheads going to be made of?
The info on the link leads me to believe that they are not real, i.e., not functional.
That Crowshead Outfitters' Elven bow is, after all, a real bow.
If you want real elven [metal] arrowheads that can be attached to real arrows and really shot try Hector Cole http://www.evado.co.uk/Hector%20Cole/index.html .

Excellent metalsmith...I've bought period accurate arrowheads from him (his specialty) but he did at one time offer the arrowheads you are looking for, but back when I bought mine the elven ones were about 45 BPS.
But he is in your neighborhood... a lot closer than NZ.
His email address in on the website

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""spacemarine""]Thank you for the link, those arrowheads look sweet. At the moment I have no plans to make functional arrows, they are more for display. I plan to make the arrowheads from resin mixed with brass powder so they can be polished
to give them a shine before weathering.[/quote]

Oh, cold-casting....good way to go if you do not want to make functional ones. Show pics (of course) when you complete the arrowheads. :thumbs_up

I drew up Daniel Falconer's version of the Crest (as seen in the last of Val's pics) to generate a high resolution image. I was working on a project to create variations on the banners as seen at the Battle of the Last Alliance.

I have the banner itself if anyone is interested.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After looking at the screenshots Jaymail posted, I still think the Crowshead elven bow comes pretty close for a non-custom bow.
In fact it looks very very similar to the bow in the prologue shot you posted.
Here is something to consider adding to the Crowshead bow (if you get it) that will make it look like the bow is Jaymail's screen shot

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.a ... 8567X#full

You'd have to buy 2 sets of the curved set because only one tip (the top one ) is curved---the bottom tip is straight.

Alternately, you could just fabricate the curved tips the same way you are doing the arrowheads, with resin.
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""spacemarine""]You guys are awesome, thank you for all the pictures and ideas. I didn't even know you could buy horn nock pieces.

If I can find better pictures of the prologue bow ends I will have them drawn up to make in resin.[/quote]

Just a cautionary note....I would not use the resin tips to support the bowstring, because under tension they will likely break.
And if someone should actually draw the bowstring back, they will definitely shatter....could be nasty.

You will have to make sure the resin tips are attached above the point where the bow is notched for the string.

For that reason I would go with the real curved horn tips because the string is actually around the tip, as it should be, it is designed to be able to withstand being drawn (which makes it much safer) , and it is a more accurate portrayal of the elven bow.
Oh, and it is really not too costly to buy the two sets of tips.
Just my opinion(s)....

[quote=""spacemarine""]Thank you for the advice, but as with the arrows I doubt I will make this bow to shoot. If I ever get enough good pics to make the nocks that is![/quote]

But you DO plan to string it, do you not?

The resin tips will not support the tension just from stringing it, much less from drawing it.

Return to “Costuming & Prop Making”