Period Outfits

So i've been thinking of creating a costume for myself... mainly for halloween... but also incase I join a re-enactment group. The problem I have it that I like more then just one style... and I was thinking of putting a bunch together. I was on the SFI and had the opinions of the pros there... and they seemed to think I was much better off getting one period at a time.

What do you guys think? Should I make a period outfit? or just go and make a costume that I like.

Does anyone actually belong to a re-enactment group here? Let me know what your opinions are.

Thanks in advance!
Valar morghulis

Re: Period Outfits

Yes. I fear for this hurricane too. It went from a Cat 1 to 5 over night and is currently the strongest hurricane in history!

But back to the topic.

Well... I've been thinking it over. It's either going to be Viking or something from the middle ages, such as knight or something.

I've been trying to find clothing and weaponry/armour on websites... from these two periods... but I can't seem to find anything. Any ideas? You might have to PM them to me :)
Valar morghulis

The problem was that I wanted to make something.. unique... not really from one time period alone. I wanted to grab things from different time periods and throw them together. I love paudrons, but I would prefer to stay away from any other armour... maybe footwear... but then. I thought. Why not work towards a full suit of armour... those always impess people.

I do love the viking time period... and yeah. I think its going to be a mix-match of things for now. We'll see.

Any other ideas anyone?
Valar morghulis

Well.

In a strange twist of fate... I'm making a "crusades" outfit. I've determined a time period of 900 - 1300 CE (Otherwise known as common era... which was once AD).

But here comes the tricky part. Do I make up my own outfit. Or do I make it historically acurate. It will be regardless... but say I was to have a yellow tunic with the Hospitaller symbol on it... do you think that would matter? It's traditionally a black tunic with a white symbol.

Or perhaps I need to make up my own symbol?
Valar morghulis

Well you seem to have wanted to mix your own tastes/style/design with a historical time period.

Taking your example, I think it would be fine to make you a hospitaler tunic whatever color you wanted, or take the style and add your own symbold, it would be a mix of historical and personal, BUT if you wanted complete historical accuracy, then I guess you would have to stick with the black tunic and symbol (for hospitaler)
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yup. I have decided to make this costume. I'm not sure what to do with the symbol or anything... I may make up my own. But i'm looking into getting a mail coif, a great helm, and some kind of undershirt and of course the tabard. Then I will e xp and later and get a mail shirt etc...
Valar morghulis

Return to “Re-enactment”