Re: Oh my god, RUST

Ohhh rust.

This probably means that it was handled an was not cleaned or it could be your environment. Fingerprints leave an oil on the metal that eventually lead to rust. The other possibility is that dust collected on your helm and then moisture was attracted to the dust. The moisture then causing rust.

Since I dont have a lot of time this morning... read this article. It should solve everything. Yes, it is for antique swords, but it works the same for anything.

http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/conservation.php

Its a very very good article. I suggest to everyone that you read it.

You may want to order some RWax for your helms. It doesnt take much wax to cover the helm... so it will last for many years... assuming you don't waste it. I don't think that I have... who knows!
Valar morghulis

Re: Oh my god, RUST

Thanks Thorin for the article and Berli for mentioning this problem. I have a Gondorian helm too and I don't want the thing rusting on me. I too like to handle it. I also like putting it on on occasion (see the Gondorian helm topic for a picture of me wearing the helm, holding my shield, and holding my LE Anduril while making sure I don't stab my living room ceiling). :D
10 months and counting till the release of The Hobbit.

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”