Okay, How hard are these helmets to take care of... For Real?

Okay, thus far all I have in my UC LOTR collection are the Swords. They are for the most part low maintenance as long as I keep fingerprints off them, etc. I like that. I am not too familiar, however, with Helm upkeep.

Now I have been pondering asking for one of the Helms for Christmas, but I always see the horror stories involving rust. Now I realize that many people own the helmets and have no problem with keeping them in top shape, and that the few horror stories are isolated incidents, but the rust still scares me.

How hard is it to care for these helms? Say for instance I want Isildur's Helm. What can I e xp ect needs to be done in order to care for it? I see all the posts about the Ren. Wax and polishing the prints off, etc.... and that doesn't seem too hard. My question is, how often does this typically need to be done? Will it rust just sitting there on a shelf for no reason? Am I going to be waxing this helmet every other weekend in order to keep rust off? What is the typical upkeep you who have the helms must perform to keep them looking good and rust-free?

Sorry if I come off sounding stupid on the helm care subject... but I pretty much am! lol :lol_blue: I just wanna be sure that if I ask for one for Christmas instead of a sword, that I won't regret it.
Thanks!!!

Re: Okay, How hard are these helmets to take care of... For Real?

Well, you do have to be very careful with the helms rusting, Ive had both of mine rust, though, its my fault because I got lazy and forgot to oil them after handling.

Firstly, you want to get some of this...

http://www.bladesbybrown.com/catalog.ht ... aintenance

....its the cheapest product I know of (you can go for ren wax, but it takes a while longer to apply, and costs a lot more). When you first get the helm, it will already be covered in a layer of oil, so all you have to do is wipe it of with a cotton cloth, and then reapply with some new oil with a cotton cloth. Make sure you wipe off the dust every time you reapply the oil. Do this every month or so (or whenever you handle it)(though Ive left mine for longer with no problems). If you ever get rust, this...

http://www.bladesbybrown.com/catalog.ht ... aintenance

...will take it off nicely. Just make sure you wipe all it off and reapply with oil
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Re: Okay, How hard are these helmets to take care of... For Real?

Draven_of_the_Shire wrote:Thanks Grima!

Okay, I'm gonna sound really lazy here, but if I were to put a layer of oil on it and not handle it, how long would it be able to sit without needing re-oiled? Does the month rule still apply?

Okay, well, when you first get it, Id oil it every month for at least 3 months, just so theres a good built up coat on it. Ive left my helms for 3 months without oil, and they've turned out fine. it really depends on where you live (if you live in a real wet environment, you might want to oil it a little more ofter.
:cheers:
~wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

Return to “Weapon & Armour Care”